“great newly refurbished hotel”
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Hotel Belleclaire
Ranked #231 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Of the 5 budget or medium priced hotels I have stayed in in NYC,the Belleclaire has been the best so far.
Although this week there is scaffolding on some of the building,and the entrance/lobby is far from glamorous,once you get up to the room the apparent refurbishment becomes clear.
My room had a partial view of Broadway( the corner),solid wood floor,lovely minimalist decor,modern looking bed linen and cushions,and all the expected mod cons,including a mini fridge.
The wide screen TV opposite the bed was great,though the remote control needed to be held with an outstretched arm from the bed to work.Hardly a big problem.
The bathroom was compact,but not too small,with deep green traditional tiling,and was very clean,with excellent shower pressure and water temperature.
I arrived at 11.30 a.m.,but although check in isn't officially til 3,my room was ready.This was a bit of luck!I found the front desk staff friendly and efficient,including when I asked to store my luggage til later in the day on checking out.
I would definitely stay there again.I like the Miburn Hotel too,a block away,but for solo travellers or couples,I would recommend the Belleclaire as having a bit more style.

1  Thank cellista

Reviewed 4 August 2008

The hotel was ok for the money. Definitely less than I'm used to, but I'm also not comparing it to the Four Seasons. Upon arriving to NY around 4pm, I had my assistant call the hotel to confirm that my room would still be available if I didn't check in until after 6pm that night. They confirmed that it was available as expected.

When I arrived at the hotel - about 7pm - they announced they had "upgraded" me to a double room. I had booked a king. I explained to the front desk person that in no place on earth was two double beds an upgrade from a king, but he said they were already sold out of the king rooms and that they could move me the next day. I agreed to this, but let him know I was dissatisfied.

The room was ok, but it had more than a few things that I either didn't like or was ambivalent about.

The Pros:
Good sized room - especially for NY
Comfortable bed (although the double was small)
Clean linens - sheets with a minimum of stains, towels fluffy
Nice size desk area - although I didn't use it, I always book a king bed so I can spread out on it - obviously not possible on a double bed
Relatively clean room, although I found some hair and dust on the floor when I dropped a pantyliner sticky-side down - yuck.
Shower pressure was good

The Cons:
Gray grout in bathroom makes the whole thing look dirty
Only one trashcan in the whole room - in the bathroom
Remote control wasn't strong enough to reach the TV in the double room (although this was better in the king room)
Weird bathroom layout (in the double room, I had to close the door to use the sink)
Ugly light fixture in the center of the room. Really ugly - they could have spent 5 dollars more and made it better
Inadequate lighting - I had to rearrange the lamps to get enough light to even read
Toiletries in the bathroom were obviously not fresh - yuck.
Lousy TV selection - no TBS, Food Network, Discovery channel, TLC...?
No washcloths - is this a European thing? This has happened to me several times lately...
Hallways look like what you'd find in a hostel

My opinion of the hotel might be different if they had offered anything for my inconvenience of switching rooms... but all they did was switch me. I think they should have refunded my first room night, or at the very least offered me a discount on a future stay. But nothing. I never heard from them again, not even to check in and see how the new room was working out.

Sigh. I probably won't stay there again - another NY hotel on my "Don't stay there" list.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank NC2NYC
Reviewed 28 July 2008

We had a great experience at the Hotel Belleclaire. Our room (125) was quiet; the neighborhood is lovely; the staff is professional and capable. We had the deluxe queen (with private bath) and the room is NYC tiny, but still very nice and well appointed. I'll probably be back, and certainly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I have been to NYC before, but never stayed in the city overnight. I feel very fortunate that my first experience there was at the Belleclaire. This property is in a charming part of the city - I absolutely fell in love with the tree-lined avenues, the neighborhood merchants, and the grace and vibrance all around. There is a marvelous and extremely cost effective diner across the street, and an excellent grocer just around the corner on Broadway. There are wonderful bakeries nearby. Central Park is a couple of blocks to the east, the Hudson River a couple of blocks to the west.
The hotel had a stellar staff. Check in was quick and pleasant. When I came practically stumbling out of the elevator with a heavy bag, a bellboy almost ran to the elevator to help me with the awkward luggage. Another bellboy engaged us in conversation while we were waiting in the lobby. Over 4 days I did not encounter anyone at the Belleclaire that was anything less than courteous and professional.
For a major city, the room was large (2 queen beds) and clean. The bath and beauty products supplied by the hotel were more than sufficient and of good quality. The towels were soft and thick, and smelled wonderful. Our room had hardwood floors, and added to the feeling of cleanliness of the room. The only downside was that the air conditioner had a hard time keeping up with the intense July heat. I would guess this is not uncommon in hot, humid locales. I brought a small fan and am so glad I did. One other minor detail is that the hallways are not terribly glamorous. They're old looking - I guess reflecting the true background of the building. They also are not air conditioned, and I am a big fan of air conditioning during hot, humid summers. Conversely, if they cooled and spritzed up the the hallways, the Belleclaire would probably not be able to offer the amazing price that we got (air and hotel package deal thru Travelocity).
Summary = the Belleclaire was great.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2008

My husband & I recently stayed at the Hotel Bellclaire. Having never been to New York City before, nor really knowing the neighborhoods, I was understandably nervous about finding a nice place to stay. We were SO pleased with the Hotel Bellclaire.

Parking: We arrived on a Sunday (having driven from Wisconsin) & the frontdoorsman was kind enough to help us find a chance spot to park on thet street. When it was time to move the car two days later, we selected the Hertz Rental Car garage on 77th street. They have a deal w/ the hotel & parking was only $25 a day- considering this is NYC, that is pretty reasonable. I was very nervous about having a car in the city since everyone says "don't drive in Manhattan." All in all our experience was a good one. We left the car in the parking garage for the week & took the subway or walked. This Hertz lot is just up the street from the hotel so it was easy to walk, luggage in hand, to pick up our car the day we left town.

The hotel: Lobby is small & nice. The staff typically greeted us with a "hello" each time we passed through. We were able to check in a bit early which was nice. At first the front desk staff couldn't find our Expedia reservation but after we presented our paperwork & the clerk checked a bit, all was well. The elevators (2) in the hotel are small but that's typical for an older building. As someone who is usually nervous about elevators, these worked just fine. We were on the 7th floor. I rarely saw anyone in the halls & thought the hotel itself was rather quite. Space in the city is at a premium & we thought that they made good use of space in our room (a queen sized bed, single bathroom). The decor is contemporary, flat screen tv, etc. We basically only spent enough time in our room to sleep each night. It was 80-90 degrees the entire week & we were so happy that the window a/c worked well.

Neighborhood: This is a fantastic neighborhood. We always felt safe, even walking in the evening. Lots of grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Near the subway (5 min. walk at most) & 10 min. walk to Central Park.

Overall: Personally I find these reviews to be rather nervewracking since people can have a random bad experience & then trash an otherwise nice hotel. I would say that this is a really great place to stay. We saw everyone from European families, to couples, younger groups, etc. I would highly recommend this hotel & hope that others have as positive an experience as we did.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WisconsinBadger
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I stayed at the Bellclaire for the second time in april this year, I have to say I was not disappointed! It has an EXCELLENT location! Nice neighborhood that is not TOO touristy but is easly accesible to tourist attractions (very close to subway, walking distance to central park and strawberry fields, close to the original Grays Papaya, 2 blocks from an AMAZING bagel shop, near sephora, with a really great grocery store literally about ten steps away). The hotel itself doesnt have a restaurant but there is a great diner right across the street called the Manhattan Diner that is very decently priced with delicious food that offers room service to the bellclaire! you have a number and menu right in your room, you just call them up and before you know it they are at the door of your room with your meal! I really couldnt ask for more at such a great price. Most dont see the appeal in booking the economy room which is a small room that has a shared bathroom (you only share it with two other rooms). Let me tell you, I have booked the economy room twice and there has never been ONE time where i needed to use the restroom or take a shower and couldnt because it was occupied. I pretty much felt like it was my own private bathroom, and though the other two rooms i shared the bathroom with were booked, i never ran into the people from those rooms or heard any noise, etc. The room is small, but EVERYTHING in New York is small, and if you ask me, its actually a GOOD size for a room in ny, ive seen new york apartments that small. In addition to that, if youre going to new york for vacation, you should only be in your room to sleep, change clothes , and shower. you dont need a room any bigger than that because you should be out enjoying everything new york has to offer, HOWEVER, should you happen to require more space, the upgraded rooms are considerably larger from what i saw walking by and from pictures they are a little more lavish. The workers there are very helpful and the housekeeper is also very friendly and helpful and very attentive to the rooms. All in all, I cant imagine getting a better deal anywhere else. I'm, returning to returning to New York next year and this is definately where I'm staying!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CocoFoSho
Reviewed 21 July 2008

My $180.00 (incl taxes) per night room was the worst and most expensive hotel room I've ever had. Since I prepaid for 5 nights, I wasn't able to make any changes.
The room was of average size, but the bed was too large, which made it difficult to open the refrigerator door that had hinges on the wrong side.
There were no drawers in the room and only a small shelf in the back of the tiny walk in closet. Since there was no place to put some bags, except on the closet floor, it was hard get to the clothes rack or shelf, as there was an ironing board in the way.
There was no light in the closet. There were 5 lights over the bed, but non over the sink or at a long table, which was useless.
There was no towel rack in the room.
It took at least 5 minutes for the water in the bedroom sink to get warm.
If I put the air conditioner on it was too noisy for sleeping. If I Iturned it off it was too hot to sleep.
The public hall (6th floor) looked very tired and was in need of redocorating,
The location was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo