“take the concierge home!”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #37 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Midtown manhattan is not my best location, unless proximity to times square is important. But we stayed for 4 nights in this hotel, in this small luxury hotel group member. The reception area is a bit dark and foreboding, and it didn't quite have the upmarket luxury i was expecting. But it was very quiet- unexpectedly, as we overlooked 44th street- and very comfortable. But we loved it for the concierge service. Having visited NY many times, we had a concierge who was brimming with new ideas, all of them good, and who hugely contributed to our stay. Vanessa ( and colleague Alan) organised our days to provide variety, and fun experiences, and there was always a huge queue for their time, such was the smile and the popularity.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Thank you for your compliments of our concierges, both Alan and Vanessa are flattered to hear that they were able to assist you with any inquiries you had . I am sorry the lobby was not to your liking, but I am glad to hear you were able to find comfort in your room. Thank you for sharing your experience, we hope to welcome you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Iroquois New York

Reviewed 15 August 2012

If you are headed to NYC, you would do well to consider a stay at The Iroquois, a boutique hotel well-located in midtown. We stayed at The Iroquois for Labour Day weekend when we were in the city to watch US Open Tennis and shop; the hotel had been recommended to us by friends who have stayed there twice before and had us sold when they told us about the Frette linens and bathrobes, Molton Brown products, convenient location (easy walk to the bustle of Times Square (where we had stayed before - W 44th St bn 5th & 6th is a much more civilized location), Grand Central Station, Lord & Taylor, Bryant Park, etc) and stellar service (Vanessa at the concierge desk was uber-helpful with restaurant reservations, directions and questions in relation to our pre-planning). We had a lovely room which was super comfy and spacious for midtown. I am a fan and am telling friends and family that The Iroquois is the place to stay in New York City!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol D
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

I'm so pleased to hear had a pleasant stay at our hotel. As we strive to provide our guests with the best service and the most comfortable stay we can offer.Vanessa is flattered to hear that she was able to assist you on making your stay with us that much more comfortable, it is certainly rewarding to hear feedback such as this. Thank you again!

Reviewed 14 August 2012

I took my daughter to NYC for her 16th birthday and stayed at the Iroquois. The location was great! Close to shopping, times square, subway, dining, etc. The staff was more than accomodating and helpful. The room was very nice and clean - being clean is an absolute MUST!! I will definately be back to the Iroquois!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jill S
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

I would like to thank you for choosing to celebrate your daughter's sweet 16 with us. I am also pleased to hear that your stay went so well with us and everything was to your liking, we hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Bottomline is that this is a 3-star hotel advertised as a 4-star. While the staff is generally nice and competent, the whole experience at the hotel falls short. For e.g. there is no room service on Sundays, breakfast is subpar, etc. I wont stay here again and will switch back to the Grammercy Park as my choice hotel in NYC.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
IroquoisHotel, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Good afternoon Brocolli

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois New York. I was happy to hear you found our staff friendly and our hotel cozy. I would like to inform you that we do offer room service 24hrs a day 7 days a week and the menu is available in all of our guestrooms. Our restaurant, Triomphe, is closed for lunch and dinner service only on Sunday. Regarding your comments about our breakfast, please allow me the opportunity to speak with you personally so I can have a better understanding of your feedback. We would like another opportunity to show you the level of service we provide to all guests who choose to stay at the Iroquois, so if your travel plans have you visiting NYC in the near future, please contact me personally so I can offer you the best available rate and ensure all goes flawless with your next stay.

Robert Holmes

Reviewed 11 August 2012

My wife and I had a very nice stay at The Iroquois from Jul. 26th to Jul. 30th.

Pros: location is excellent, a short walk to Times Square on a quiet street. We went to Radio City Music Hall for show, and to Rockefeller Centre to Top of the Rock and these were just a nice walk away. Check out Gregory's Coffee across the street, they have excellent coffee and try the pound cake, yummy! Also close to tons of restaurants close. The Red Flame Diner is a great spot for a very reasonably priced tasty bite. We went for breakfast, was very good.

Service was very good. The concierge was very helpful. We found everyone to be quite friendly and it had a personal touch.

The hotel was old in a good way, it had character and nice touches. It was very clean and quaint.

We got a competitive rate on a package deal and was satisfied with value for this property.

Cons: Our room was very small, which I understand is typical of Manhatten, however it was much smaller than another Manhatten hotel we stayed in last year. Also it had no view, just into another room's Window and a brick wall. Most disappointing was the bed, which was much shorter than standard size perhaps needed to fit into the small room. I'm well over 6 ft tall wasn't the most comfortable. Also my wife was surprised they didn't have a hairdryer, which is typically standard in most hotels.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at The Iroquois, the best points being it's location and service. I would return in a larger room with at least some view and larger bed.

Room Tip: If a view at all is important ask about this. Also would recommend trying to get a room upgrade.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our property to be convenient. It's also a pleasure to hear that our staff were able to assist you on making your stay enjoyable. I would like apologize we were not able to accommodate your requests, we strive on accommodating all of our guest's needs and request. We do also offer larger rooms with king size beds, as well Suite's, if you need more space on a future stay. We hope to see you again

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I have stayed at other boutique hotels in New York and thoroughly enjoyed them. This hotel I did not. Please remember though that some events happened while we were there. It does not mean it happens constantly.
Pros-
Great location between Times Square and 5th ave.
Comfortable beds
Very clean
Older style but updated nicely
Awesome for a romantic getaway or for a solo traveler

Cons
Very dark in lobby, not welcoming
Bellhop not available to open doors for people? Wonderful guys but never around to help. We happened to be coming back to the hotel and had to help arriving guests with large luggage up the stairs on three seperate occasions. I understand it was very hot outside, but when we would walk by other boutique hotels, bellhops were outside sweating it out.
FYI there are stairs to get into the front door, not many but enough when hauling luggage.
Because the building is older and it was in the 90s during our stay, our home was very warm and we had it turned down all the way. Sorry, I like it really cool when I do come back to rest especially when you have been walking, shopping and sweating all day.
Rooms are tiny and yes I know that is the standard for New York BUT if you have a party of 4 and are not reserving a suite than you need to look at other hotels. I have stayed at plenty others that have much larger rooms.
Because it is a boutique hotel and very small, I guess I thought we would be greeted when we would walk in or leave. The bellhop would greet us as he was standing by the front desk half the time instead of the door. :)
For me, I just didn't get the exciting fun feel of New York as I have other times. If you like it quiet, dark and quaint then this is perfect for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Tamjomc,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois New York. I was happy to hear you found our location convenient, but disappointed to hear we did not have a Bell Attendant available for you at time of arrival. Our daily staffing includes a member at the door and one to assist with luggage and guest requests. I have addressed the coverage issue with our management team to avoid any future inconvenience and I sincerely apologize for not having some ready to assist you at time of arrival.
Regarding your comments about not fit for four, we do not offer a standard room with two beds for more than two occupants due to the overall size of the room and I am confident this was communicated at time of booking. We do have 9 beautiful suites available for more than 2 guests per room to avoid this issue.
Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to your return to the Iroquois.

Robert Holmes

Reviewed 6 August 2012

With 4 NYC hotels under my belt in the same trip, Iroquois far exceeds my expectations and in my opinion, is the choice hotel for me when I visit NYC again. The bed was so comfortable that I spent a lot of time sleeping and having a good rest during my stay. The bathtub was a great addition and the Molton Brown toiletries tops the cake. Housekeeping services are carried out in the day and in the evenings, the hotel provides a turndown service, complete with a weather card for the next day and delicious chocolates on the pillows.

Internet is complimentary and the signal was strong enough for me to do some work. There is an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe and the luxurious bath robes are handy too. I would also like to commend the hotel for safekeeping my online shopping parcel which arrvied after I checked out. The hotel made a note and allowed me to pick it up at a later date and their exceptional service continues to impress me. Location of the hotel is close to Times Square and the nearest subway station - Bryant Park, is only 5 minutes away. There are many restaurants, diners, duane reade pharmacy and starbucks nearby so you won't regret choosing this hotel.

Room Tip: I requested for a quiet room and was given a room next to the lift. I was worried about the noise le...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We strive to accommodate all of our guest’s requests whenever possible and needs. I'm sorry to hear that we placed you in a room near that was near the lift at first, but enlightened that you were able to find the room to your liking and not be disturb by any outside noise. We are also pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of our amenities to make your stay that much enjoyable, we hope to welcome you again in the future!