All reviews upper east side bemelmans bar elevator operator elevator attendants central park tower room new york madison avenue hardwood floors iconic hotel elevator service luxury hotel home away from home four seasons living room public areas great shopping
Reviewed September 18, 2011

When you book a refurbished junior suite do you expect a bathroom ? Well this hotel evidently doesn't feel the need to tell it's guests that a tiny shower with a basin is what's on offer .... Oh and of course we'll move you but to a dirty and depressing smoking floor which stinks . So we cut and ran ... Across the road to the Mark , a wonderful modern clean friendly hotel .
The Carlyle is a disgrace and they had the gall to send us a computer generated letter thanking us for staying there!

• Stayed: September 2011
5  Thank Bruton23
CarlyleNewYork, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

I am truly sorry for the disappointment you experienced during your stay.

We take all feedback on the hotel quite seriously. Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service and to ensure that your stay with us is a most pleasant. I regret that we were unable meet your expectations on this occassion.

I would very much welcome an opportunity to discuss the shortcomings you experienced with us further. I may be contacted directly at 212.570.7100.

Sincerely yours,
Erich Steinbock
Managing Director

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Our double (2) bed room was more spacious than I had imagined an older NYC hotel would be. It was perfectly located in a great neighborhood. Close to restaurants, shopping, etc. Our room had a nice view. It was clean. The bathroom was spacious. There were not one, but 2 walk-in closets for our things! My only complaints about the room would be that the lingering smell of stale cigarette smoke was almost a deal breaker. And the neatly folded stack of expensive women's underwear left in one of the drawers was not my size.
The staff is professional and friendly, from the elevator man to the front desk people. I found the world famous bar a bit dingy and stuffy (air), but the hotel in general is interesting and comfortable. And Zitamer's drug store is right across the street--they sell everything from aspirin to zebra stripe cashmere scarves, and just about anything else you can think of.
I'd definitely stay again, and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: higher floors have less street noise
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cupcake22763
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed in a superior room with view on the Madison Avenue on the 10th floor. The welcome from the reception was very nice and warm and the grooms in the elevators were also very attentionate. But we were first chocked by the rundown state of the room as we came in. We had very high expectations from the 5 stars rating of the hotel and the beautiful pictures on the hotel's website. Although the linen and the towels were excellent quality (and changed every day!) and the beds very comfortable, the rest of the furniture looked old and run down. The bathroom was the worst part: we think that this needs major renovation. For instance there were dark stains (fungus??) on the shower head and the corners of the bath tub. The paint on the ceiling of the bathroom was getting off. The closing of the bath tub was missing. Last but not least, the bath tub was not properly cleaned every day: it was simply washed with water and one could see that no soap or special product was used.
Besides, we were awaken 2 times by the cleaning lady. Once she rang several times in the morning while she knew we were still in the room. She tried to give one of us a high pile of linen to put on the bed (we then politely asked her to put them herself inside!!) as she didn't feel like coming back for that later. We found it very inappropriate and disturbing. She just walked in and out while we were still busy getting ready for the day.
We were basically happy with our stay in the Carlyle because: 1) the room was comfortable, 2) reception was nice, 3) location was excellent and safe. But the points mentioned above make this hotel not worth the 5 stars and regular prices for the quality offered.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank kizkouz
Reviewed September 11, 2011

This hotel may have a 5 star rating, but it does not have 5 star service with the exception of Dwight at the concierge who was a big help to me.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David W
CarlyleNewYork, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your most recent visit to New York City.

However, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experience during your visit. I understand that our service did not meet the expectations you have come to expect from a five-star hotel.

Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service and to ensure that each and every one of your stays with us is a most pleasant and memorable one. I regret we were not able to uphold that goal on this occasion.

We hope to welcome you back to The Carlyle in the not too distant future. In the meantime, if I may be of the slightest assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely yours,
Erich Steinbock
Managing Director

Reviewed September 10, 2011

We had just checked into our hotel rm - about 20mins in when we felt the Aug23rd earthquake on our 10 floor rm, the hotel was very proficient at informing us. We felt totally safe. That night we went to a Yankees game, Rylie at the reception was kind enough to print up the directions via subway for us - very helpful for us first visit in the City. The next day we went to the Woodbury Commons Outlets and another very helpful reception staffer instructed us on how and where to get our bus tickets and coupon book which rocked! the lobby is reminiscent of the art deco movement. It was always great when descending into the lobby in the evenings you could hear the band in the restaurant cranking classics with a real NY/Sinatra high energy feel - wonderful for the ambience. We had dinner there one night and the food was great and the place was full of locals and tourists alike. All of the elevator conductors where adorable older men that always made quick great conversation. We were upgraded upon check in which is always a bonus and much appreciated. We stayed for 5 days, and were there for the Hurricane Irene as well - but were completely unaffected it by it in our area- even though the hotel was great at setting up an emergency plan "just in cast" The location was great for us, we could see CentralPark from our corner suite. The hotel is on the corner of 76th and Madison Ave so the shopping was fab! From Creed to JonathanAdler to Frette and all the big name designers Gucci, Valentino, E.Armani. I was worried that any room would be loud in NY, but soon as our rm door was closed it was silent in our room which I highly valued. All in all with all the options available re: hotels in NY I am satisfied with my stay at the Carlyle, the only thing I raised a brow to was the charges for wireless internet - that being said the reception staff was ALWAYS ready to print anything we every needed and the the business centre is comp as well. The rooms and paint could use some updating, it would only add to the charm of this great hotel and its staff. Oh by the way... the toiletries are Kiehls... for a product junkie like me... I thought I should mention that ; )

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple