All reviews upper east side bemelmans bar elevator operator elevator attendants central park tower room new york madison avenue hardwood floors iconic hotel elevator service luxury hotel home away from home four seasons living room public areas great shopping
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Unfortunately I did not write a review at the time of our visit because I rarely wrote reviews at that time. However, this one has been grating on me ever since.
We stayed at the Carlyle for a weekend at Christmas 2009 as a present from our daughter. My biggest disappointment was the treatment we received from the staff. Because we didn't have bundles of money to hand out to staff in tips for bringing us a few slices of toast and opening a door, we felt that the service we received was non existent. In fact it felt like we were shunned. We did tip but obviously not enough.
The first room we were booked into was nice but not the one that my daughter paid for. Our second room was also nice but some of the furnishings were old and worn (not something you would expect from a 5* hotel).

On booking out, although my daughter had already paid for our room, we were still charged. After some discussion the bill was put right.

The limousine that we booked to take us back to the airport did not turn up. We spoke to the receptionist who told us 'don't worry the hotel has a limousine that can take you' She was obviously new because , when the car did not turn up after another 15 minutes, she was no longer at the reception and we were told to go to the concierge and no further mention was made of the courtesy car. The concierge tried twice to make contact with the company supplying the Limousine but eventually offered to arrange a taxi. We paid out $100 for a 15 minute ride.

So, if your Tony and Cherie Blair, John Malkovich or a Rock star, all staying at the hotel the same time as us, you would be ok. Anyone else - forget it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Tommal
CarlyleNewYork, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory stay. I regret to learn of the challenges you experienced during your visit with us over the holiday season.

I have addressed your comments with our management team, including our Front Desk and Concierge team, and can assure you we are taking steps to prevent this from happening again.

We take all feedback on the hotel seriously and strive to improve our standards at all times. If you wish to discuss the shortfalls in the service you received during your stay I would be happy to speak with you and may be reached directly at 212.570.7108.

Sincerely yours,
Mark Sterner
Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 27, 2012

We were lucky to get tickets to see Christine Ebersolle at the club inside the Carlyle. What a great find. The room is the perfect size to enjoy such a great talent. We were two tables back from the stage and you felt like you with a group of friends at a dinner party. The hotel has a great bar to enjoy before the show and they also have live music. Famous, romantic, fun!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary60898
Reviewed February 20, 2012

If you are looking for a classic 5 star upper east side luxury experience - look no further. I always prefer upper east or SoHo locations when staying in New York. The Carlyle is my favorite NYC hotel. Whereas the Mandarin Oriental (second best 5 star in NYC) has got a fantastic location and nice rooms, the feeling of classic 5 star tradition blended with the difference in crowd means that the ambience is different in a positive way. From the head concierge that actually knows it all and has been around for a long time in the same hotel, bartenders that makes cocktails the hard way from scratch into perfection till the SPA that is somewhat smaller in size having been fitted into an old building, but designed by someone banned by any 5 star chain hotel due to their extravagance in spending cash on details - the hotel will impress you! Yes, some of the rooms are smaller than you might want, and some are older than I like (somewhat dated), but you feel good being there. There are lots of good local restaurants in the area that makes really good food frequented by locals rather than tourists and the hip crowd - the concierge knows them all...

Room Tip: Updated room with decent size
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gudleiv
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The Carlyle is one of the last classic, top drawer hotels in Manhattan. Built in the 1930s, the hotel is now a blend of Art Deco, 18th century French and expensive modernism that somehow all comes together to create a uniquely luxurious environment. I stayed here for one night through Amex Platinum Card Travel which meant I was upgraded to a charming room on the 21st floor -- with terrace! Not large but tasteful, quiet and very comfortable, with every possible amenity. (My only complaint: a hair dryer so loud I had to put foam stopples in my ears to use it.) Very polite and attentive staff, from the front desk to the elevator operators to the dining room waiters. I ate dinner here and had the best coq au vin I have EVER tasted, France included. You really do feel you are in 'the lap of luxury' here, luxury as it should be: tasteful, thoughtful and discrete. The Carlyle remains what upper class used to mean.

Room Tip: It's worth paying for a tower room: quiet, light-filled and wonderful views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We have stayed in many hotels in NYC including the best reviewed and highest priced. The overall experience at the Carlyle is superior to any of them.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple