All reviews upper east side bemelmans bar elevator operator elevator attendants central park tower room new york madison avenue hardwood floors iconic hotel elevator service luxury hotel home away from home four seasons living room great shopping rooms are comfortable
Reviewed May 21, 2009

The staff at the Carlyle is as good as any staff in any hotel in the world. The location is amazing -- steps from Central Park in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in NYC. We had fresh flowers, linens, lovely toiletries, and delicious food. It's a special treat. But the rooms are showing their age, with very traditional decor (think your wealthy grandmother's house.) At this price level, I expect up to date furnishings, and a spacious bathroom. While the bathrooms have been renovated, they are as small as I've had in hotels costing one-third as much. The hotel would need a renovation before I could give it all five stars.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank brendastarlet
Reviewed April 17, 2009

We checked into the Carlyle after noting the special rates that Rosewood Hotels was offering at several of its hotels. Check in was quick and we were escorted into our "upgraded" superior room with a courtyard view. Decent sized room and closets but tiny bathroom with nice Kiehl's amenities. Comfy bed and pillows made our stay pleasant. The hotel itself has a lovely bar and restaurant and I can see how this hotel would be a nice place for someone to stay who wants a discreet hotel in the city. The location is quiet ....near the Met and the Whitney and mostly small, upscale shops along Madison. On the downside, it's time for the Carlyle to update their rooms and retire the elevator operator. It felt stodgy and old and could use refurbishment...it felt snobby and stuffy. I don't think I'll be back...certainly not in these economic times.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank margo1116
Reviewed March 18, 2009

We chose to stay at the Carlyle based on what we had heard, beautiful and old!
This hotel would have been great 10-20 years ago but didn't think so today.
First off, location is mediocre. The only thing of interest within walking distance was the head Ralph Lauren and Met Museum.
Secondly, service was ok. The concierge were very helpful and polite but the front desk were snooty and housekeeping totally useless.
The room, had a two bedroom suite, on a high floor and could see the Park but very old and on the smaller side.
The dining room was beautiful for dinner but rather bad value. Expensive as other restaurants such as La Grenouille which have much better dinners.
The Gallery was nice for afternoon tea, certainly better than the Plaza's Palm Court but the best is still the St Regis' Astor Court!

Would go back if they had a major renno!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2009

I have stayed in some of the finest hotels all over the world including the Peninsala and Shangri-la in Hong Kong as well as the Savoy in London and the Hotel Crillon in Paris.

The new manager at the Carlyle, Georg Unseld, is unprofessional, and the head of housekeeping, Leigh Gansburg, is the epitome of rudeness. Both employees misled me and outright lied to me. They both have zero integrity, and as long as they are both employed by the Carlyle, I will never step foot in the hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank TrueReview10
Reviewed January 7, 2009

I had always wanted to stay at the Carlyle, home to the Cafe Carlyle, one of my favorite secrets in New York, and home to so many interesting international visitors. This past summer, a fluke on the internet took me to the French hotels.com website where I was able to book a room at the Carlyle for a fantastic price!!! (A price not seen before or after..) Pure heaven. Huge room, so very comfortable, so well-appointed. Kiehl products in the bath. Across the street from Zitomer's, and the Cafe Carlyle just downstairs for meeting friends. What a wonderful trip to New York at the Carlyle!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank barbaraGeneva