“Didn't want to leave”

Hotel Edison Times Square
Ranked #313 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 June 2008

As we arrived, we were helped with our luggage, very grateful - 3 girls, big suitcases, you get the idea? The Reception staff were very polite & helpful, check-in was very easy, and no problems were encountered. The room we had was adequate for what we needed it for. The view wasn't the best, but eh, its NEW YORK!!! We had two double beds, desk, tv, drawers, reminded me of the standard you would get in a Travelodge in the UK, but we weren't planning on spending a lot of time in the hotel. We got fresh towels, and beds made every day by the maid, even p.j's put back on the pillows nicely folded! We sampled the food in both the restaurant & the cafe for breakfast, once again, no complaints. The conceierge was brilliant, she managed to get us tickets for Hairspray on the Sat, which was for my birthday, and she didn't charge us tax, which I thought was very kind of her. The little shop by the lobby is handy for any emergency stuff, i.e First Aid items. The one major thing that I have to mention is actually the service we got once we had returned to the UK. We had unknowingly left some English £'s in the safety deposit box that we had. I thought it had been stolen out of my bag whilst out and about. We actually had a phone call from the Travel Agent asking me to contact the hotel, which i did. They took some details from me, and within a week, I had gotten all the money back, safe and secure. Now that's what I call customer service. Since returning, I've been back to the travel agents to see if they have any availability for this Christmas. I just have to go back, I've got the NY bug!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank rachaelskeldon
Write a ReviewReviews (10,094)

Reviewed 12 June 2008

Our high school music group booked this hotel through a travel agent months before going there. The agent asked that the group be put on the same floor. Upon arriving there the sponsor found that the 4 boys with 2 sponsors were put on the 12th floor. four 17 year old girls were put in a room on another floor, and a 17, 15 , 6 year old girls along with their 19 year old female sponsor were put on another floor. The sponsor asked if they could all be moved to at least all on the same floor but was told the hotel was full, so we had one group of 17 year old girls on a floor in a room all by theirselves without a sponsor in their room as we were told they girls rooms would be next to each other, and we only had l female sponsor. The hotel had no concern for the safety of 17 year old girls staying alone in a room in their hotel. As a parent I think the safety of a hotels quests should be a great concern of a hotel, but unfortunately it is not of the Edison. Also rooms were in poor shape and smelled.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 10 June 2008

hotel was in complete chaos when we checked in. door key did not work when we tried to enter room, and was told by staff member to" treat the lock like a woman, and coax it gently.". on entering room and pulling bedspread down there was an ink stain below it and the sheets were grubby and looked as though the previous occupant had just left.the porters were arguing with eachother in front of me as if I didn't exist. we checked out straight away.I would only recomend this hotel too my worst enemy.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edwinfromengland
Reviewed 5 June 2008

This hotel was shabby and tattered. Rooms were very small and uninviting. Sheets were very thin and pillows were on the flat side. Bathroom did not have a counter top to place things on, just a small narrow shelf above the lavatory. Carpets needed a good shampoo or replacement. Hallway walls had scaring and marks on them. The lobby sofas had stains on them and the arms of the sofas were worn and starting to tear. What's so sad is that you could tell that it must have been beautiful when it was first opened in the 1930s. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2008

This was a pretty large hotel on a side road of the north end of Times Square. There was a restaurant joining the main lobby, good for breakfast or a decent lunch. Service was average, we were upgraded to a junior suite which was quite large. It included a living area with a pullout couch/bed and a separate queen bedroom. Decor was definitely dated, but it added personality to the building. Location was pretty much the best part of the hotel, we were able to walk everywhere. The metro station was only a block away also for trips farther then a walk away.

• Stayed: March 2004, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skymasterztl
Reviewed 29 May 2008

The Edison is in a great location, a few steps away from Times Square. We Stayed with a bus tour so the price for the stay was pretty good. This was the first time in New York City so my husband and I really had no idea where to stay. The hotel was clean but very outdated. The hallways needed spruced up with some fresh paint or wallpaper. Our bed was uncomfortable and on the last day of our stay we had no hot water to shower. The security man at the elevator was very friendly and helped us with some directions. We loved visiting New York so much and would definitely go back but probably try another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank Ohiofiremanswife
Reviewed 26 May 2008

A few weeks ago I booked rooms at the Edison Towers based on pictures available online – which are the same pictured on this site. When I arrived, I was put on the top floor, where the walls in the hallway were partially unpainted, not due to current renovations, but obviously due to age as the paint had peeled off in large areas. The room itself had not been cleaned since the last guest. The bed remained in disarray, dirty towels were on the bathroom floor, and the bathroom sink and shower were filthy. There was, in fact, a disgusting layer of mildew flourishing in the bathtub. I was rather appalled at the 1970’s décor (not retro!), the slouching mattress, the tattered rug, the filthy curtains, and the questionable air unit on which the cover was broken. I did not use the air unit, but based on appearances, it would not have surprised me if it didn’t work at all. I considered pulling up the pictures on the internet again to see if I had lost my mind, but was unable to hook up to the phone jack, which lay in pieces on the floor, unattached to the wall, broken open with exposed metal wires – an obvious fire hazard.
While staff immediately sent someone to clean the room, when I requested a different room they brushed me off and told me there was nothing they could do for me as they were completely booked. The manager, though friendlier, was also unable to assist me. He assured me, “we renovate one or two floors every few years,” and though he offered to move me to a new room the next day when several openings were available, he was unsure both whether my original room was on a renovated floor and if any of the rooms coming open would be renovated and in better condition. A poorly informed staff unable to provide satisfactory solutions combined with appallingly substandard accommodations offered at standard NYC rates – not ghetto rates – convinced me to move immediately to another hotel – which is exactly my recommendation for anyone considering staying here: run, don’t walk, somewhere else!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business