“...pity about the elevators...”

The Blakely New York
Ranked #127 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This is really pretty picky to mention, but the elevator service in the hotel is really a bit of a problem. During our visit, only one elevator was operating most of the time. You really had to add an extra 10 minutes to any planned meeting times!

Elevators aside, The Blakely is outstanding. Spacious, comfortable rooms, well decorated and comfortably appointed; modern plumbing and bathrooms; free wifi internet access with really good bandwidth; breakfast included; wonderful Midtown location on (by Manhattan standards) a quiet street. Back in the "picky" department, the bath towels will soft and fluffy could have been a bit larger.

The staff was universally thoughtful, responsive and available. I had left my iPhone in my room when I checked out. By the time reached the ground floor and before I had missed it, housekeeping had found it, called the front desk and brought it to me!

1  Thank hct1948
Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed 22 January 2012

My sister and I stayed here for one evening during a girls' trip to NYC. This is my second stay in this hotel and it was everything I remembered it from the first visit (about 2 years ago). The staff is very accommodating and very helpful with any requests or questions. We were upgraded to a suite due to a promotion. The bathroom was upscale and luxurious.

Complimentary breakfast was great. And the hotel also has free wifi.

A couple of con's, but it wasn't enough for me to demote a rating point:

Thermostat was truly controlled by the hotel, not the individual rooms. We couldn't get the temp above 68-ish, but it was warm enough.

Only one elevator was in working order, but it really didn't affect us any.

No extra blankets in the room, but I'm sure they would have brought us some if we requested.

And of course the most attractive feature about the hotel is the LOCATION! Walking distance to/from Grand Central. Couple blocks from Central Park and the great shopping on 5th Ave. We walked to dinner, a show and back to the hotel. Great overall stay!

1  Thank jennypenny12
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed here with my husband in Dec 2011. I liked the hotel for its location and cleanliness (room was small, but that's NYC). My husband wasn't as impressed as the elevators were too few and always busy. I'd stay again, but he wouldn't.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Great hotel! We didn't book to stay here, we booked to stay at The Wellington (sister hotel) but on arrival at The Wellington our room wasn't ready due to a cancelled flight. After a long flight the last thing you want to hear is that your going to have to stay at a different hotel for one night, but this turned out to be a good thing! The Wellington is a good hotel but the Blakely is GREAT! It's only a small hotel but it is very nice! The staff are very helpful and the rooms are great. I didn't want to leave and will definitely be pricing this hotel up for my next visit! It's just across the street from the Wellington so it still has the great location but is a much nicer hotel.

2  Thank AmiiG_UK
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We were upgraded to The Blakely from Wellington as they had overbooked & we got free complimentary continental breakfast. Was lovely. Staff very friendly & we booked our tours/trips with them. $89 for 2 days unlimited hop on/off day bus tour, night bus tour, top of the rock & the boat cruise. Worth every cent. Only a few blocks from central park, rockerfella center & Times Square. Rooms very nice, very comfortable bed :) Had a greats night sleep. Would highly recommend here, would definately stay again

1  Thank Nicolette150
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I visited NYC for the first time in late November 2011. We chose The Blakely based on location and size of rooms. The hotel exceeded our expectations on both. The hotel is in a perfect location, very close to Central Park, Times Square, Theatre district, restaurants and shopping. The staff was very attentive and the concierges made wonderful recommendations. Always be sure to ask "where NOT to go" then listen. We reserved a suite and were very satisfied with our room, was a great size for NYC. The only reason I hesitate to give it a "5" is it is an older hotel with a few items that come with age; slower elevators, bathrooms a little dated, but NOTHING that would stop me from staying here again or highly recommending to others.

Room Tip: It is midde of NYC so if light sleeper you might ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank OklahomaSherri
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Blakely between just after Christmas and the new year.

On arrival we were pleased to find the helpful concierge and hassle free check in service though were a little disappointed that our room didn't have a bath. To be honest, I'm sure that if we had said something at the time they would have switched us over but we weren't so fussed. There was a nice little minibar, microwave, fridge and coffee making facilities as well as the standard room amenities at an additional charge. We also had fresh linens and dressing gowns.

Nice points - the hotel is very lovely, the staff in the lobby are helpful and the maid service was always excellent. The housekeepers were also very friendly when you spotted them round and about the hotel. You get a free copy of the NY Times every morning which was useful and the bedroom was full of modern conveniences, i.e: easy to use air con/heating, soft pillows and TV services with lots of channels. The room also had an iPod dock radio alarm clock.

Not so nice points - The hotel hallways and lobby seem to be kept at a very high heat; not sure if this was just me however I constantly felt I was far too hot in the hallways. The lifts were as reported previously slow and clunky and not fun to spend 15 minutes a day waiting for. We took the stairs a couple of times though being on the 15th floor didn't make this fun! The staff in the restaurant at breakfast were just plain rude. I found it very disappointing that a tip voucher was provided before you were even seated and one waiter in particular was so obnoxious I was surprised he thought waiting was a good job for him. I had to ask for coffee 3 times from him and then when we were done he cleared my partners plates but ignored mine. The additions to the breakfast are also terrible overpriced. $7 for 2 eggs is not reasonable, even by NYC standards.

All in all the hotel and the hotel staff were very good, just a shame the breakfast service and the restaurant wait staff brought it down.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath tub!
1  Thank Travellingwellies