New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Blakely New York

The Blakely New York
Ranked #168 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Marietta, Georgia
“First time in NYC, for spring break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and had a wonderful time. The hotel was well located for our needs and a subway stop is nearby. It is a comfortable walk to Central Park. We stayed in a king suite which had a Keurig coffee maker and shower with a "rain-head." The only drawback was that our room faced the street and even though we were on the 10th floor we could still hear street noise. It wasn't a deal breaker, we were in NYC and expected it. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Quite a pleasant, clean and comfortable hotel, after all, all we did was sleep there and make coffee in the morning. Helpful staff at front desk.

Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I'm not an obsessive compulsive individual; however I do expect a few things to be done when I stay at a hotel. I had the gut feeling that the coffee cups weren't being washed, so I decided to put a dab of toothpaste on the bottom of the cup. They were also used. Needless to say, when we came back to the room after it was cleaned, I looked at the bottom of the cups, and the toothpaste was still there. My daughter and I were grossed out because all we could think of was how often do they do that? I called down to the manager and explained what I did. He was apologetic and offered to bring up clean cups. He also offered to clean the room more thoroughly the next day. I told him I just wanted to make sure the cups were put in the dishwasher or at least washed with soap and hot water. They didn't take the dirty cups when they dropped off the supposedly clean cups. We make coffee, and the next morning I expected to see just two clean cups left. The cleaning staff once again left the two cups with the dab of toothpaste in the room and placed them as if they had been cleaned along with the other two cups they had brought up. Again, I called the manager. He basically blew me off. I will not stay at this hotel again. What else are they pretending to clean?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
26 Thank Moreland5
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 6 nights in March 2012. The hotel is perfectly located, friendly, accommodating, & nicely appointed. The rooms are large and well supplied, with very comfortable beds. Cleaning service is thorough and helpful. All inquiries were answered with a cheerful attitude. We paid $225 per night which includes a continental breakfast ($2 tip expected per person). We stayed on a lower floor because of complaints about the elevator and street noise. We had no view, but we were usually only in the room at night when getting ready for bed. I have previously stayed on the upper West side for less, but the savings in taxi and subway fares makes up for some of the cost of the room. I would not hesitate to stay again. Only two drawbacks: the free breakfast was only average and the wifi internet is spotty and painfully slow. As for breakfast, I walked to the Westway diner (9th & 44th) about 1/2 mile away on two mornings and had an excellent NYC diner experience for $7.

Room Tip: Lower floor due to slow elevator.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bronson777
Celebration,Florida,USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Comfortable and cozy a small boutique hotel conveniently located in the center of Manhattan so it is east to get to anywhere from the hotel. This hotel is a quiet respite at the end of a busy city day. The elevators are a bit slow but the rooms are elegant and extremely comfortable. The rooms are small but wonderfully decorated and contain a small kitchenette type area with a sink. I have stayed here for years with my children and for us it is the perfect home away from home in a busy city like New York.

Redhill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed at the Blakely Hotel New York for 5 nights. This was a birthday trip with my partner. The Hotel is ideally situated on 55th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue. Times Square and Central Park are within walking distance and the subway and hop on hop off buses are right nearby too. We stayed on the 13th floor facing the rear of the hotel, you can hear the traffic but it didn't affect our sleep. The room had a mini bar and tea/coffee making facilities, also a microwave. The room was very clean and we also had maid service everyday. The only criticism I would have is that there wasn't enough wardrobe space, only one small area for hanging! Plenty of drawer space and also a free safe, ironing board, iron and hairdryer supplied. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and recommended a fabulous restaurant which we went to during our stay. The breakfast was continental but limited choice. Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel for a city break in New York.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor if possible
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

This boutique hotel is charming and sophisticated. Centrally located, the decor is old world charm and comfortable. The bar and restaurant are cozy and the food and drinks are great! Our room, a one bedroom suite, was spacious, comfortable and very well appointed. We had room to host 7 for cocktail hour. The room had a mini bar area with sink, glasses, a few dishes and a microwave. The bathroom (and I LOVE a fantastic bathroom) was exceptional. The glassed in shower and marble tile were beautiful. We had 2 televisions, an extremely comfortable bed and the room was quite with very litte street noise (we were not on the 55th side of the building). The concierge staff was extremely helpful and accommodating!! Very reasonably priced. As it is an older building, the elevators are small and slow but, hey, we were on vacation! We would definately recommend the property and plan to stay there again!

Room Tip: Our room, on the back side of the hotel, was quite. We did not hear much street noise or anything f...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple