“Best Hotel In New York”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #197 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We have stayed in many hotels in New York but the Crowne Plaza in Times Square was easily the best, the location is perfect for everyone in the family, the rooms were large and comfortable. The hotel was one step ahead in every thing we needed. Most important, the staff took great care of us after we suffered a small catastrophe, they didn't ask if they could help, the front desk just went ahead and did it. They saved our vacation and I will always be grateful.
I often feel alienated in New York City but this hotel felt like a haven where people cared.

Room Tip: When you check in, ask for a nice room, I know they will do anything they can to make you happy.
1  Thank Jann T
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Thank you so much for letting me know my staff was so attentive you consider us the best hotel in New York! This is quite a compliment and I am so proud of the team. We all look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed here a week and we enjoyed our stay. We had a corner room on the 35th floor that overlooked Rockefeller Center. It was an amazing view. All of midtown is within easy walking distance. Uptown and downtown are a short subway or cab ride away. They have an entrance directly on Broadway with is nice. Most of the theaters are within a couple of blocks and there are hundreds of restaurants nearby.

Pros:
1. Location, location, location - Just north of Times Square.
2. The property was clean and well managed
3. The staff is fantastic and they were always eager to please.
4. The room was clean and well appointed.
5. Good selection of TV channels.
6. The bed was clean and very comfortable.

Cons:
1. It’s expensive by any measure.
2. The surrounding area is VERY busy which can get old.
3. Our Deluxe room was on the small side but not a problem.
4. The tub faucet handle was broken when we checked in.
5. The room temperature was a little difficult to regulate (probably the season).
6. The gasket in the “tilt in” windows was shot and we had some street noise.

The cons do not outweigh the pros in this case. Not by a long shot. I would highly recommend this property for a long weekend or several days. It’s an experience that worth the expense. But, next time we visit NYC for a week or more we will probably stay at a four star property just off Times Square for a better value.

Room Tip: Talk up the staff. Don't forget the front desk staff.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent stay with us. I appreciate all of the feedback and am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured our maintenance team addresses the tub handle. I apologize it was not complete before you arrived.

We hope the view and experience of being directly on Times Square will entice you to visit us again! Please let me know if I can assist with a future booking.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for three days in February. It is ideally located right in the heart of Time Square! Everything in our room was newly renovated with a great view of the city. Our room was also equipped with a Keurig coffee brewing machine which we used every morning. On the second day of our stay we received a lovely fruit platter as a thank you! Although we were unable to enjoy the lounge, it looked well attended and the view was also great. The bathroom was nice and clean too. Overall I was impressed with the cleanliness and size of our room. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mlaurin

Thank you for five star review! Our housekeeping team takes pride in the work they do and I am very proud of them. I have congratulated them yet again on helping to make our hotel a clean and comfortable haven in the city's most exciting neighborhood. We hope to welcome you and your daughter again.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Mother, 50's /daughter just turned 17 Our second trip up. It was a birthday surprise trip...she only found out 3 days before we arrived. Arrived at 8:15am, stored our luggage with friendly doorman/bellhop. Checked into room at 2:30pm...very nice, large King Bed, corner room on 33rd floor. View of East River straight down 48th St. Nice Hudson RIver view from hallway window. Room smelled nice and fresh, everything was clean and in order. Loved the Keurig Coffee!!...after I found it! It was hidden under the TV with the ice bucket and room safe. Bed was very comfortable. TV worked just fine as did the thermostat. No noise at all from hallway, even though we were around the corner from the elevators. No noise from Times Square either. Only noise was....construction site across the street. Everyone was nice enough...housekeeping, front desk, concierge, doorman...nice and polite. I would stay there again and would recommend to any other visitors as well. Loved the location! We went to two shows, so an easy, quick walk to the theatres. My only complaint....the hotel is not marked very well...no real signs on the outside, except one large one that is high up and a little obstructed by other signs and an awning. But...just look for the Hersheys Store...its right above that. (with the M&M store across the street. Those were our "landmarks" Couldn't have found it with that! There is no big front entrance...just a walkway into the building....and sometimes...a doorman. (not always there)

Room Tip: Get room on higher floor in case of any construction going on. Otherwise, we didn't hear much no...
1  Thank beachlady3
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Only stayed for one night late March here. We had to get up really early in the morning so didn't have time to check out the breakfast but even so there are many plusses from our visit for this hotel. First of the location. Across from the M&Ms shop that my daughter loves for whatever reason and really close to Times Square. The reception was really nice and speedy and we had good help carrying all our luggage to our room. The room was big and comfortable with a nice Hudson Bay view (46th floor). It took a while to get up and down but assume this is what one has to expect when staying in New York. Definitely worth a visit if you will spend a lot of time around Times Square.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can. I enjoyed the Hudson River view (which you can choose when booking)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Johnnordic
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for letting me know you enjoyed your recent visit with us. Our team enjoys hearing they helped making a guest feel welcomed and comfortable. I will be sure to share this review with them.

Hotel Manger

Reviewed 14 April 2012

First the positives...This hotel is a great location! Its a quiet location for being right on Broadway,but the positives stop there. We stayed a week here to do all things Broadway. This hotel is rated 4 stars by all the hotel websites. This hotel is worn out, the rooms are tired and they tout a 85 million dollar renovation. Wall paper curling at various places, baseboards beat up by vacuums and use. The bathroom was particularly bad, mold in the grout various places around the tub. The bathtub itself was peeling its finish off (the tubs were not replaced during last reno, they were refinished). Holes in the walls where a towel rack had been at some point. The legs to the vanity were very worn. In terms of service we were also disappointed. The television did not have ABC, PBS or FOX channels to name a few. We were told when calling guest services that sometime the satelite signal drops a channel intermittently ...we did not have any of those channels for the entire week. The concierge desk is amateur at best, very unprofessional, talking with one another and not paying attention to guests right in front of them. We will not choose this hotel next year for our annual Broadway trek. There are much better choices, do your homework!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
3  Thank capferrat

Please accept my sincere apology regarding your recent stay. The room you described sounds completely unacceptable for sale and I am so sorry our team did not restrict it from sales before you arrived. I have messaged you privately to get more details so that we may take this room out of service at once.

We take all feedback very seriously and I truly appreciate being made aware of any issues so that I may address them with the team. We do hope you will give our hotel another chance to impress you, as I am confident we can. Please reach out to me directly if I can assist with a future stay.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

This was our 2nd trip to New York , we always pick IC Hotel group hotels as hubby is a priority club member so we always use the points , last time we stayed at the Intercontinental on W44th St which we thought was a much better hotel.
This was a very special trip as it was to celebrate my hubby's 50th birthday , and we actually booked the hotel last October 2011 , hubby emailed them with a request for a corner family room overlooking TS , and to request that they did not move us to another room due to the booking having to be made under 2 separate reservations as we were using points for part of the trip and paying for part of the trip. We received an e mail back noting our early request and confirming that we would not have to move rooms.
However on checking in , last Friday 6th April at around 11.30pm, we were told that we would be on the 28th floor the first night and were to be moved to the 40th floor the following day. Hubby restated that he did e mail on booking to avoid this situation , and the girl on the desk (Amanda) apologised , but in a very robotic monotone fashion (no eye contact , and her demeanour didn't seen to convince us that she was that sorry really) - Hubby asked just how sorry they (the hotel) were and she said that they would put us on the higher floor tomorrow.
After a long and tiring flight with two kids (13 and 16) in tow , no matter how you try to unpack in a small way for one night just to access the essentials , it was still an inconvenience, and still ate into our precious time in NY having to repack ready to move rooms again , also having to allow time the following day to unpack and get resettled .
The 2nd room was nice , the view was good, but a bigger corner room for the four of us ( bearing in mind that we are a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 teens , so not little kids) a bigger corner room with the extra space and that little bit more of a special view over TS ( particularly as we requested 6 months prior because of it being a celebratory trip) , would have convinced us that they were willing to provide better service and that they were genuinely sorry .
Also , they have a lovely ,small leopard print roll type cushion on their beds ,but on a couple of occasions that my daughter and i put our feet up on this at the end of the day , we got a nasty little itchy rash , so we just put it in the corner by the window after that , where incidently there was a big patch of damaged ripped wallpaper under the window.(NOT what you would expect from The Crown Plaza Times Square) .
The face towels smelt very strongly of bleach in the first room , which gave me a rash on my hands and feet - which we should have mentioned at the time , but at the end of a tiring day in NY , you just want to fall into bed and sleep , and not have to go down to reception , to be met with the same attitude as when we booked in.
I am just reporting as I find , we were so excited at the thought of staying at the CP , and have always been more than happy with other stays at IC hotels , the reason I have given an average rating is for all the experiences above - yes there is no doubt that the location in TS is spot on , but
I think I would prefer to walk a couple of extra streets to TS and possibly receive a friendlier service.

3  Thank shalovesny

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Times Square for your husband's recent birthday. Please accept my apology that we were unable to upgrade you during the first night of your stay. We do try to honor all requests, especially those from our Priority Club Rewards member guests, as we value your loyalty to IHG.

I am grateful for the feedback and take your comments very seriously. I will discuss your concerns with our front office and housekeeping teams right away as what you reported is not up to our standards as you pointed out.

Our team would be delighted to welcome you back and I am sure we can impress you with our usual great service. Please do let me know if I can assist.