“LOVED IT!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #201 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“LOVED IT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Such a super hotel! I love the staff! They were gracious enough to give us a room with two beds - we requested it pretty late! Especially the housekeeper and Bell desk staff. And I feel horrible about not asking the name of the very polite gentleman that helped us with cabs and questions late at night! He was just so nice and helpful! I traveled with a female friend so we were a little worried about safety and the usual things.
Such a superb location! Statue of liberty from the window of our room - for Real!!! Very clean rooms. Again, great location! 2 miles from SoHo (yep, we went partying!), walking distance from everything Wall Street, the Battery Park and Ground Zero Memorial (in fact, the 9/11 memorial faces the backside of this hotel building). Subways all around (5 mins or less). We did not spend too much time checking out the hotel amenities etc, but the whole stay was just perfect! I think I would not want to go back and stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Ask for the statue of Liberty view!! And higher the better!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tustin, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I reserved a room months in advance requesting double beds on a lower floor. After checking in at 1am after a log flight from the West Coast on a Saturday morning, the very nice staff at the front desk gave me two options. We could have a room with double beds on the 14th floor or he would upgrade us to a Jr Suite on the 35th floor. The Jr. Suite was perfect for a family of 4. Within 10 minutes of our arrival, a staff member brought in a very comfortabe roll away bed for my oldest son. The view of the Hudson River and the New World Trade Center buildings were amazing. The room was very large and nice. The bellroom and front desk were extremely helpful giving us tips were and how to get around the city for this was our first trip to NY. Housekeeping was extremely responsive the two times I called for extra towels. The hotel location was right next to the WTC and Wall Street. You could get anywhere in the City via cab or the subway quickly! We liked the quiet location on Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning the area was alive and hopping with business on Wall Street and the construction activity at the WTC ( the noise was not an issue during our stay)! The WTC memorial is right out the back door of the hotel so make sure make reservation to see the memorial before you arrive. Highly recommend going to Georges on Rector for a quick breakfast or lunch on the run. Overall it was a great hotel for a 3 night family weekend in NY!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the higher levels due to the traffic noises. The views from the upper floors are...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
invereness scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed here for four nights in April, The hotel is in the financial district of New York City and is in a quiet and safe area of the city, the hotel rooms are spacey and comfy and above all clean, the staff were always pleasent and helpful and went out of there way to assist us on many occassions. The hotel has a restaurant which serves great food and the prices are very reasonable so you dont have to eat out if you dont want to, there god start breakfast is really filling and costs seventeen dollars and is well worth the money. Iemailed the hotel in adavance to ask for a room with a view of the harbour area and this was granted to our surprise, it was amazing to get up in the morning and see the statue of liberty and also the ferrys going back and forth. Ihave stayed in New York three times now and this is the best hotel stay to date everything was perfect and i can not think of a single bad thing to say , dont be put of by the fact that it is in the financial district as there are plenty travel options available to get around, we usually took the subway which was a five minute walk away but a cab would not cost much more than ten dollars. The 911 memorial site is just around the corner from the hotel . Also on this trip we went to the nearby outlet mall on New Jersey what a great place for shopping,we took the bus from Port Authority Terminal right to the doors of the Mall and back in to city for thirteen dollars round trip, its well worth a visit as the prices are much lower than in Manhattan and there are plenty shops and places to eat and staff are very pleasent also there is no tax on Jesey Island so thats another bonus,buses run every half hour or so and it takes around twenty minutes to get there it is five mins from Newark Airport . Also go to Stain Island Ferry at night its free and you get a great view of skyline, just a five minute walk from the hotel along by Battery Park and perfectly safe for a family to do. Just hop on and get off at the other side and go staight to the return terminal to make your journey . Altogether the downtown area is the place i will now stay at on any return trips as its ideal.

Room Tip: If you want a good view go for rooms on thirtys, email ahead and you might be lucky like we were.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

The location of the Marriott Downtown was great for me. The ease of access to taxis and public transportation is good.

The room itself was very spacious and with two beds was more than what I needed. The shower was very good, however it would have been nice to move the shower head around. Selection of television channels was very good.

The restaurant downstairs was a little pricey but considering the location that wasn't a surprise. Sometimes the attentiveness of the staff was lacking, which did take some of the shine off.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I reserved a room with a view of the Statute of Liberty four months in advance. Mind you, it was not a request. I paid a premium in order to have a room with a view of the Statute of Liberty. When I checked in I was informed by a very rude receptionist at the front desk that there were no rooms with a view of the Statute of Liberty available. I explained to her that I had made the reservation four months ago and had agreed to a higher rate to obtain it. She said that my comment was irrelevant because a room was not available. Then, I showed her my written confirmation and asked to speak to a manager. Only then did she spend some time to try to fulfill my reservation. Eventually, she gave me a room with a slight view of the Statute of Liberty.

If you are looking for a hotel that is close to the World Trade Center, then this hotel will satisfy you. You literally walk about the back door of the hotel into the line to enter the WTC site. You are also within easy walking distance of Wall Street and Battery Park.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Summit, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I work in lower Manhattan, so when my wife and I needed a place to stay for a nearby wedding in the City, the New York Marriott Downtown was my first choice. Located on West St., it's easy to catch a cab and get most places on the West Side. In spite of its close proximity to the developing World Trade Center site, the noise, especially on the weekend, is hardly noticeable. This part of town can get pretty sleepy on the weekends, so if you're coming on a Saturday or Sunday, be prepared to travel uptown to find excitement.

The hotel itself is very nice. It's clean, up-to-date, and the service was helpful overall. One pleasant perk occurred on check-in, when they did not have the room I'd reserved. As a result, my wife and I were upgraded to a Jr. Suite without any fuss or issues. That is exactly how hotel service should be.

You will still find the typical New York drawbacks: smaller rooms and staff that are not overly friendly. However, if you come in expecting these things, you'll be in good shape.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I thought I wrote a review of this hotel already saying it didn't feel like full 4 star level to me. I agree with others who say that the front desk was adequate and no more. I also got the feeling that I wasn't going to get any special requests cuz of my Priceline status, which hasn't been an issue at other hotels. In any case, the room was fine and I like their bath products a lot. The housekeeping folks were nice. Location was convenient to a bunch of subway lines and there was a bit more going on down there than I thought there'd be. It was fine.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo