“Great hotel”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #72 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Staff was very helpful and always polite. Rooms were very clean everyday although they are small it's New York City and still enough room for a couple. The hotel is in a great location within walking distance to almost everything. If you are looking for a comfortable and cozy stay with excellent customer service this is the place.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bfd528
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
We appreciate your comments and hope that your next stay with the Sanctuary Hotel will be even better.

Jeremy Poon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Thank you for everything. We Will return with pleasure. See you soon

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank laurentbeeckman
Thank you for your review.

We hope to see you back with us soon.

Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 8 May 2012

After reading a great novel, the characters stay with me for a while and I replay scenes from the book in my mind. The same with a movie or a play; the "essence" or emotion evoked from the production stays with me for a time afterwards. It has been over a week since my stay at the Sanctuary, and I'm still smiling. I actually miss the "characters". From the doormen to the receptionists to the housekeepers, everyone was smiling and friendly. Better yet, they were accommodating. For example, I am an early riser; my Starbucks' Via coffee packets are never far away. I woke up in New York so early in fact, that the complimentary continental breakfast had yet to start. Since I was in need of hot water and there are no microwaves in the rooms, I called down to the front desk to ask for assistance. In a mere 2 minutes I had a smiling gentleman at my door with a cup of steaming hot water-no charge. He simply said "Be careful Ma'am, the water is very hot", and went on his way. This scenario replayed itself another morning, with the same result. How special is that? What other hotel would do that? None that I know of. Contrast that with the Paramount Hotel, where our workshop was being held in one of their suites. One day we needed a couple of extra plates because we had ordered take-out for 14 people and the order didn't come with enough plates. The Paramount charged $5.25 to bring up 2 plates ten minutes later! I didn't sign the check, but this probably didn't include gratuity. Can you imagine? I realize that we didn't order the lunch from the hotel, but we did hold our four-day meeting there (not a business meeting really, just a ladies retreat), and several of the women made the mistake of staying there instead of the Sanctuary, but yet they still charged to bring up two lousy plates. We had already finished eating by the time they finally arrived.
Another bonus of the Sanctuary Hotel is that there is a "fresh & co" just across the street. They serve wonderful breakfasts if you want more than a continental breakfast, and they have fresh salads, soups, and sandwiches, conveniently packed to "grab and go" or eat in. The Sanctuary is your best location for proximity to Broadway plays and Times Square, and the "fresh & co" makes the location even better.
The one and only gripe I have, and this is not unique to the Sanctuary, is that for those of us who need reading glasses or corrective lenses to read, it is impossible to distinguish the shampoo from the conditioner or the bath gel when showering. It would be so nice to have a graphic showing hair being shampooed with a big #1 on the bottle, another with a big #2 on it for the conditioner, and then the final bottle with the outline of a torso being washed for the shower gel. Perhaps this bottle could have a big "G" on it. I would think that this would also be useful for those international visitors who can't read English. The other information on the bottle is superfluous. It doesn't matter to me what the brand is, where it is made, or if it smells like lilacs or pepperoni, I just want to be able to know what's in the bottle.
This hotel is a gem. I'm reticent to share my experience because if too many people find this hidden treasure, I might not be able to get a room for my next visit to New York! Do yourself a favor and book a room now; you won't regret it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank drlisas
Thank you for sharing your wonderful and detailed experience with the Sanctuary Hotel.

It's always a pleasant surprise when guest of ours, take the time out of their busy schedule to write a review about us. The fact that you have been back at home for a week and still have your Sanctuary experience in mind brings smiles to all our faces.

We appreciate the feedback and will use this as a motivational tool to continue to improve the services that we provide.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The rooms are, I would think typical size for what you pay for NYC. The view was charming, down onto a busy New York Street but not so busy that you must wake before you choose too. One note of advice....there is also an office building across the street (my lady found out the shocking way, lol). Lots of light on that side and it made for great people watching especially if testing the weather from your room, people seemed to dress appropriately for the weather and the staff were great at advising what had been the norm for the past few days and what was to come, if you're not the type of person who checks that type of thing. I wasn't too sure on the bathrooms from the images on the website but once you're in there it feels quite cozy and actually very smart. I did inquire about taking the bed and pillows with me. Rest is on my list of must dos when I travel so the bed and pillows have to exceed all expectations. Each time I found myself on the bed it was like the first time, lol! No, j/k, there was obviously a great deal of thought invested into the redesign of this space.
The morning breakfast was light, tasty, fairly heathy--with some breakfast sweets but nothing to get offended about, Spectacular coffee, various morning papers, relaxed bodies and thoughtful servers. They keep it low key, the light is quite sparse throughout but our guests and we found it to be very appealing. The ambiance in general was soothing. And for those of us who still like to work out while traveling, you receive free day passes to their affiliate, Equinox Fitness Club on E54th Street who try to provide anything you may need, even workout gear--just in case you forgot to bring your own.

Again, Hands Down this was a Fantastic stay. I would recommend, have already recommended and will recommend in the future to anyone staying in the Manhattan area.
Oh, there seemed to be something wrong with someone's television, I heard a woman complaining at the front desk, but honestly, I can't see why anyone would want to watch television in a space like that. A movie (literally) was playing downstairs!!!

Go, and tell them www.QueerBOIS.com sent you.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jonelle M
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback regarding your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I am happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. Many reviewers like yourself agree that they simply love the comfort of our plush pillow-top mattresses and the italian Frette linen sheets. It's nice to know that you were pleasantly surprised by the layout of our peek-a-boo showers. I'm also glad that you were able to experience our complimentary breakfast.

We would love for you to come back soon so that you can experience even more, especially with our rooftop lounge days from opening.

Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Excellet hotel with a wonderful staff. Everyone of the members of the staff were wonderful! Very clean and ultra chic! Beds were very comfortable! Exterior of the hotel is awesome! I would def stay again!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Krist086
Dear Krist086,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us.

We hope that the next your travels bring you back to NYC, you think of the Sanctuary Hotel.

Warm Regards,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We wanted to combine a continuing education course with a little R&R in New York. After checking reviews we selected the Sanctuary on 47th Street as it seemed to be close to most everything of interest. The hotel is definitely not a cookie-cutter - it has a feel of being upscale and very fashion conscious. That being said the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful.

The room itself was a bit small - it might have been a problem if we were staying more than a couple of days. However, for a couple day getaway (and with the cost in NYC a couple days is fine) it was perfect. Everything was clean and comfortable. We were also impressed that we heard very little of the outside hustle & bustle at night.

Less than a block from Times Square and in the Theater district we found that we could easily walk to many of our destinations. Food, shopping, entertainment were all close by. There is no pool nor a restaurant but that was not an issue for us - especially with so many dining choices right outside our door.

Without a doubt we will put The Sanctuary at the top of our list when looking to make a return visit to the Big Apple.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jtomney
We are glad that you were able to find a little R&R at the Sanctuary Hotel.

The concept is to present a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city, while still being centrally located in the heart of everything. The goal of the staff, is to always create a unique and memorable experience. Knowing that we were able to all achieve this with you, puts a smile on all our faces.

We hope to see you back, so that you can experience even more.

Allentown, PA
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This was my first stay at the Sanctuary Hotel, and it will not be my last. Great location, beautiful decor, extraordinarily friendly staff, from the young lady who checked me in to the doormen who welcomed me each time I returned "home," to Luis the purveyor of caneles, to Randy the bartender.

Beautiful decor.

The room was small but cozy. A little noisy from the corridor, but nothing that kept me awake.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank teamfur
I am delighted to know that your first experience with the Sanctuary was a great one!

Thank you for your comments in regards to the staff and the decor. We always appreciate when guests take the time to write a nice review about us.

I'm happy to know that it won't be your last visit with us, and we hope to see you soon.