“In the thick of it.....”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #182 of 467 Hotels in New York City
dtw
“In the thick of it.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

If you want to be in the heart of the city, this hotel is for you. You are in walking distance to everything such as Fifth Avenue, Central Park, 42nd Street and much more. The R Lounge bar looks out on Times Square and the lobby has a boutique feel. However, I was disappointed that the art deco scheme didn't carry over to the rooms. Our bed squeaked and we could hear noise on the streets all times of the night even though we were on the 24th floor. There was only one sink in the bathroom and the walls are thin. Room service was the worse ever. We ordered a pizza and fries which tasted like they were the frozen kind.

I gave this hotel an average score because I've stayed at other Marriott properties in Manhattan I like better. The Marquis is two blocks away, the rooms are nicer and the corner rooms are huge. I just don't particularly care for the massive size of the hotel. I've stayed at the Carlton near Madison Square Park which is part of the Autograph Collection. The location is close to Herald Square and Chelsea but the rooms are old and in need of renovation. I've also stayed at the Renaissance 57 on Lexington which is a great location if you want to be closer to the Upper East Side but the rooms are small.

If you enjoy the outdoors I suggest you take a bike ride through Central Park and around New York's Green Way. We also took a Double Decker bus tour and a cruise around the Statue of Liberty. I recommend the Village Vanguard for jazz enthusiasts. For a scenic view of the Hudson River and the New York skyline, watch the sunset at the Press Lounge at Ink 48 hotel on 11th Avenue.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor because Times Square gets really loud at all times of the night. We were on 24 a...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

It couldn't have been better. Beautifully appointed room decor and a central Times Square location that can't be beat. On the lobby floor level is the scenic R Lounge that overlooks Times Square. Make a reservation for a table by the window though we found out that doesn't always work. Three visits to the lounge and failed each time to sit near the window....even if it is your birthday! You do better if in a larger group it seems. Manny at the front desk is gratious and very proficient and Rafael in the breakfast room is delightful and attentive to needs. I have finally found a midtown hotel that has won my confidence and will be my hotel of choice from this day forward while visiting Manhattan!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance New York Hotel for six nights in May 2012. This is a great location, right in the heart of Times Square. Theatres are close by and great shopping on 5th Avenue is also within easy walking distance. The hotel staff are excellent and very helpful. Because I am a Gold Member, we were able to enjoy a complimentary breakfast in the R Lounge on weekday mornings. (The lounge is closed on weekends.) The breakfasts were excellent, offering hot and cold cereal, scrambled eggs and usually a meat option - bacon or sausages as well as fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, juices and coffee. As others have mentioned, the view from the Lounge looks onto Times Square. The "New Year's Eve Ball" is directly opposite the Lounge ... I can only imagine the scene on New Year's Eve! Other Marriott Hotels in which we have stayed have a Concierge Lounge which offer complimentary appetizers and desserts to Elite members (Gold or Platinum) but this hotel does not have a lounge as such. Instead, they provide Elite guests a voucher for a complimentary appetizer and soft drink for each evening, Sunday through Thursday (not Friday or Saturday). This is a great perk! The appetizers that we sampled were excellent.

The only negative comment that I have about the hotel is that the furniture and the decor in the R Lounge is really not comfortable at all! The seats along the windows are raised and very deep (wide) making it uncomfortable to sit upon. I saw a few "younger" folks curl up on their knees and snuggle up against the windows to enjoy the view but most of the patrons, older and younger alike, found the seating to be very uncomfortable. If they had a choice, most moved to a more traditional chair. The decor is "funky"modern, but has become very outdated. Too bad... the Lounge has to be the best spot in the city to take in the sights of Times Square.

Overall, this is a fabulous location and I would certainly recommend staying here.

1 Thank Bonniegirl87
Tuscumbia, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Great place to stay and, located at 2 Times Square, right in the heart, you can't have a better location.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights . The room was a decent size for NYC . I didn't feel crowded with 3 adults (my daughters) We arrived before check-in so the hotel stored our luggage & we were off to find lunch. We returned around 4:00, check in was quick. Our room was clean with 2 double beds & a view of Times Square. We had an issue with the safe and they had security up to fix it within minutes. I think this is a nice location for a first visit depending on what you want to do. We love to walk and most of what we wanted to do on this visit was within several blocks. There is a subway station nearby and before I forget, there's a great little pizza place right around the corner.
Bella something. I can't remember the rest of it but we got pizza from there twice ant took it back to the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AB31
Nevada City, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

The hotel is in a great location on Times Square, especially good for first time visitors, which is what we were. Easy walk to Broadway shows. Other reviews have mentioned street noise, but I think that's an unavoidable feature of staying in this area.

The staff was friendly and efficient. The room was ok, clean and simple, nothing to get excited about. I was disappointed that my platinum status didn't have much practical value here. It gets you a room on the "concierge level" which doesn't mean anything as the hotel doesn't have a concierge lounge. Instead they give you a coupon for a free appetizer in the lounge -- but only Mon-Thurs. The lounge has a wonderful view but only fair service. A limited buffet breakfast -- in the lounge, not the restaurant -- is provided to Gold and Platinum members but M-F.

1 Thank Rob W
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

Awesome hotel!! Staff very friendly. Room was big and clean. Very impressed.
I liked this hotel better than Marriott Marquis.

I live in one of the 5 boroughs and used my II points since I was catching a cruise ship
the following day and did not want to miss the ship due to the 5 boro bike tour.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs in case any motorcycles keep passing by on 7th Ave.