5,891 results
All reviews times square great location new york executive room restaurant row fridge and microwave fire station coffee maker food emporium hell's kitchen around the corner the theater district quiet street small kitchenette central park two blocks an older hotel
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed at the Belvedere from 29 September to 3 October.

I'll outline the pros and cons, and then summarise.

THE PROS:

The location couldn't be more central. We could see Times Square from our window, and Broadway was literally all around us. There is a grocery store on the corner of the block, and lots of places to eat.

The room was a good size, clean, and cleaned well daily.

The hotel was very busy, and the guests themselves were very friendly.

There are self-operated laundry facilities on the basement level, which was particularly convenient for us.

The fitness facility was open 24 hours, and there is a soft drink vending machine that sells cans of soft drinks for a dollar.

The Gray Line bus/tour terminal is right around the corner from the hotel. This made things easier when we set out about our first day's sightseeing.

THE CONS:

The staff were polite at all times, but in a long-suffering kind of way, which could be a bit patronising and frustrating at times. I understand The Belvedere is a busy hotel and that certain questions must get repetitive for the staff working there, but *shrugs* that's hospitality, ain't it? That being said, there was a girl on front desk (her name escapes me) who was really lovely, and a lovely man called Hugues, too, who was a big help.

The wi-fi was very patchy and intermittent, and inaccessible for most of our stay. Whether this was a problem specific to our room or not, I can't say.

The Business Centre is exorbitantly expensive. I mean, REALLY expensive. I paid $3 for 10 minutes internet usage (because the wi-fi I'd paid for in my room didn't work). I don't see how it's possible to justify those kind of prices for internet usage nowadays.

The room keys de-magnetise very easily. Each day, either my own or my travelling companion's key would de-magnetise during the course of a day's sightseeing. Once, both did.

The elevators are exceptionally slow in peak periods. This is to be expected from an older-style of building like this. In busy periods, you may be waiting for over five minutes. I would recommend taking the service elevators situated at either end of the corridor.

SUMMARY:

The pros far outweigh the cons at The Belvedere. In many cases, the cons, I think, are beyond the hotel's control. I would recommend The Belvedere to travellers who want a comfortable, convenient sanctuary that's right in the heart of the action.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank budafudawuda
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Our group of 6 family members recently had a wonderful 3 night stay at The Belvedere. We had 2 very comfortable rooms on the same floor and we were able to check in early. The rooms were very quiet - absolutely no street noise, and very comfortable for 3 adults.

The hotel's location on a quiet street 2 blocks from Times Square was perfect and convenient for walking to many restaurants, a Broadway play, the Empire State Building, etc.... We also took the subway and caught cabs in front of the hotel with the help of the doorman.

The concierge was helpful with making lunch reservations and giving us restaurant information, etc.. Coming back in the wee hours of the morning was not a concern. The streets in a area are not deserted and the hotel staff is always at the front desk to greet you.

I would definitely stay at the Belvedere again. Loved New York City!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank AnneB13
Reviewed September 25, 2010

No complaints from us. We stayed on the 4th floor, so we took the stairs most of the time and had good water pressure. We were surprised that the room had a window A/C unit, but evidently thats common in NYC. The noise of the unit helped shut out the street noise. We LOVED the location, walked everywhere but still came back for a rest in the afternoons. Wonderful location for theatre, restaurants, subway, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. We never ate there, so can't comment on the food. We had a mini-fridge in the room and kept snacks and drinks cold there. Ice was on the 2nd floor, but I could run up and down the stairs for that. We never heard ONE PEEP inside the hotel; it was quiet. All the noise was right outside our windown, but that's New York! We felt very safe here, but we felt safe the whole trip. I would definitely recommend taking advantage of the shuttle they offer to and from the airport.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Merry61
Reviewed September 23, 2010

We, our business associates, and our relatives have stayed at the Belvedere 3 times between two years ago and this September. Here's what we have to offer. If you get an Executive room that has been renovated it's a decent hotel. If you get an unrenovated room IT IS TERRIBLE - small rooms, with broken bathroom fixtures,and not something I would put my enemies in. The problem is when you book they tell you that you will get a renovated room and then you don't. Happened twice to us and our friends. We will avoid this hotel from now on. Its location is just not worth the hassle and discomfort of getting unrenovated, small, broken rooms with thin mattresses. Shame on them for making a hotel with such good promise and location into a crap shoot and a bad experience. Hotel-goer beware! Also, the person who took the reservation told us they have room service but they don't.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Dream803231
MichaelLink, General Manager at Belvedere Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

Dear R&DAshland,
Thank you for your comments regarding your experience while a guest at the Belvedere Hotel. I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations.
Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience that may have been caused by the room type assigned to you. I take this and every guest comment very seriously. We take great pride in our hotel and in the services we offer. We do have differences in our rooms and have done our best to represent them by room type on our website. When booking a room online, we include pictures of the room type selected at the time of booking to minimize any confusion, but I realize there may be misunderstanding due to the many room types available. We also make every effort to explain the room types when booking a room directly with our reservations department. Please contact me so I can investigate your booking more thoroughly and find out why you were told you would get a renovated room and did not.
The hotel does provide an extensive in-room dining menu which is provided by three popular restaurants. We have menus in each room and service is prompt and efficient. Again, I apologize if this service was not up to your expectation.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

We are 2 girls taking a annual trip to NYC for about 4 days. We are not picky. Most of the time we are not in the room, so as long as something is clean and safe, we are fine. The Hotel is such an awesome location, we walked everywhere....location can't be beat. The room however, we were a little disappointed. With 2 girls trying to both get ready in the morning, we found it very difficult. The lighting was awful, one lamp did not work. We did have a mirror in the room, but no plug in near the mirror. We had to take turns getting ready in the bathroom....so that was a pain. We felt like we could not really see good, the lighting was so dim. On our first night after taking a shower and blow drying hair, the power went out in our room. Total darkness. We called front dest, power was back on in minutes. OK...so we thought that was weird. Next night, same thing again. Next night same thing...we were told that you can't have the air conditioner and hair dryer on at same time?? What?? They should at least have put a sign up about that. What a pain to do that every night. We asked other guests if they had that problem and they said no. They were quick to have the power turned on again and said they would get with engineer, but still....never had that happen in my life at a hotel.
The beds in our room were comfortable, the air worked fine. Our beds were clean, but the furniture was dusty and floor not that clean. We found an old make up brush in the room behind the bed, not sure how thorough they are. Elevators were small and old, but they were fine.
They should be very thankful for location of this hotel....because that alone was hard to beat.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends