“nice hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bethesda, Maryland
“nice hotel”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

we stayed here one night while in town for vacation. We had a room on the 4th floor and the cost of the room was around $300. The room was nice but i thought it was a little small for the price, even for NYC. location was good for us and we were able to easily walk to the theater district and times square to see a show. staff was very helpful and courteous. Overall a very nice place but size of the rooms vs. cost would maybe make us consider somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it was associated with the Marriott chain, and because it was in the neighborhood where I needed to be for business. It describes itself as a "high personality hotel" that has recently undergone a "stylish multi million dollar transformation". That makes me worry about what it used to be like! I had an Executive King room that was like a slightly enlarged prison cell (and yes, I am used to traveling in Europe and NyC where rooms are generally smaller). The front desk staff were busy joking around with one another when I arrived, so even though therenwerenfour people behind the counter, there was one person being helped and three of us waiting to check in. The room is small and there are scuff marks on the walls, and other than a lovely looking bed and headboard (prominently pictured in the photos) the rest of the room is out of the fifties. There is a window that looks directly out at a brick wall 2 feet away. There is no concierge level and the elevators are slow and small so that only 3-4 people can get in them at once. It has some old world charm, and the price was not outrageous but me thinks one can do better by way of both rooms and service.

• Stayed March 2012
StephenCullen9, Manager at Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Greetings, crkport –

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Carlton. I sincerely apologize for the lack of customer displayed by our front of house associates. We have addressed this concern though re-training. The hotel does not have a concierge level as is not a Marriott hotel. We are however excited to be a member of the Autograph Collection which is an affiliate of Marriott and as such we are able to provide our guests with the benefits of the Marriott Reward’s program. We are a franchised property whom maintains our own independence and identity.

Warmly,
Stephen Cullen
Spring Lake Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have stayed at the Carlton several times. It has a very nice lobby and facilities. and the decor is very nice and modern. We were recently booked through my husbands company for one night at a very good rate. The room seemed smaller than we have had in the past and I asked if we could get a larger room. Despite having this low rate they upgraded us to a very large room with a king and a sofa and chair and a very large bath room. Though the hot water faucet did not work very well and the shower head kept turning towards the wall.
Also coffee is available 24 hours on the mezzanine. Unfortunately 6am is not the time to get some. It was cold and old.

1 Thank dutchessnancy
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2012

On my last visit to NYC I stayed at The Carlton Hotel which is part of Marriott's Autograph collection. As with many of the Autograph collection hotels, it is a classic hotel with lots of ambience. While the rooms are small, they are very nice. I'd have to say that they're as quiet as any in Midtown at the 10th floor level, and both clean and well laid out My particular room had a seperate tub and shower and was quite spacious for Manhattan. The lobby is charming (yes, down a flight of stairs), and the on site dining was great. Although I had issues as I was using Marriott points for my stay, the staff did their best to accommodate my needs. Door/bell staff was fantastic when I needed a cab, and assisting with an umbrella.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Florida
Reviewed 26 March 2012

From the minute I walked into the lobby, I was treated with special care and received great service. My corner room was lovely. BUT - holy street noise, Batman - the hotel was built at the beginning of the last century, and it is quite apparent that the windows have not been updated since then. After many years of traveling to NYC, one does expect a certain level of noise - sirens, horns, revelers - but this felt like we had left all of the doors and windows open. And, on the topic of windows, there was a window INSIDE the bath/shower combination, which was blocked by a large mini-blind, which is ok but - yikes - rust and - just yikes. Not a good idea.

Having said that: we experienced wonderfully clean, well-kept, accommodations and a lovely bed with luxurious linens; super fluffy pillows; good lighting; easy to operate ac/heat; had breakfast at the nice restaurant in the building; and the Carlton is just two blocks away from one of the greatest restaurants in Manhattan, Hillstone, on Park Ave. Overall, I would recommend this hotel. (Marriott - please - just invest in some 21st century windows, and we would be ecstatic.) Love the Molton Brown amenities, too.

Thanks for reading this review - hope that enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor and buy ear plugs. Seriously.
1 Thank shopgirlblonde
Albany, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Carlton Hotel in NYC is a classic hotel that has been updated. While the rooms are small, they are elegant and the hallways are quiet and nice. The lounge is a wonderful place for a drink. The lobby is charming. When you enter the hotel, you are surprised to see stairs leading down to the check in desk, but there is an elevator to the right that you can use. It seems many people miss that. The hotel is in a good location for either midtown or the village. Staff work hard to accommodate guest needs.

dtw
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I would have given this hotel a poor review if I were anywhere else besides New York. The rooms are small which is to be expected but the walls are paper thin. I've stayed at the Renaissance Hotel 57 in Midtown and it had more ambience. The Marriott Marquis has larger rooms with less noise above the 30th floor. But the Renaissance Times Square is my favorite! I checked in at 3am and I wasn't offered a platinum arrival gift. I'd have forgiven the desk clerk if the other people in my party were also forgotten, but I was the only one. There was a half filled glass on my desk and an ice bucket full of water. The shower had an open bottle of hair conditioner and a used bar of soap. One robe was neatly tied but the other was thrown over the bathroom hook like it'd been worn. I would have switched rooms but I was tired from traveling. I wouldn't stay here again.

2 Thank leondrataylor