You can read a thousand reviews and never be sure of your hotel choice, we did this with The Lombardy and had a very pleasant surprise. My wife never settles for the first room we see, yet never once mentioned moving from the suite we were assigned, it was more like an apartment and you would be very hard pressed to find better value.
The one bedroom suite was much more like an apartment, the nicely decorated en-suite bedroom would have been fine as a room with lots of storage space, a king sized bed and a fair sized bathroom. Beyond the bedroom was a lobby leading to an open plan kitchenette and a very large sitting room oh, and did I mention the second bathroom off the lobby? A his and hers bathroom or a one bedroom suite that would suit two couples or a family as the tasteful sofa was a roll-out bed too.
The apartment was nicely decorated, even if the second bathroom was a bit night-clubby with black tiles and furnishings but had a good shower and reasonable bathtub and the kitchenette had a small grill/mini oven, hob, microwave and fridge. Perfect if you didn't fancy venturing out for breakfast - the hotel is under refurbishment, (noise wasn't an issue) but it did mean there was no breakfast buffet. The alternative was the hotel issuing $5:00 breakfast vouchers for the 'Midtown Diner' a block away, great for an authentic NY diner experience (think greasy spoon not high end and you'll get the picture) but $5:00 will barely get you a hot drink and a cream cheese bagel. If you're real tea drinkers like us, pack some teabags (and some long-life milk just to get you started) as there's a kettle in the room, no room service and it's hard to get a decent cuppa in New York, you'll be glad you did.
The location was pretty good, three blocks away from Bloomingdales, between Park and Lexington Avenue, good for the subway and buses so it's well worth getting a metro card, and fairly quiet, lousy views but you'd have to pay for a really fancy hotel to get that. But this is New York, do you really want to spend your time looking out of the window at yet another high rise building, or do you want to be out there enjoying the city? Maybe it was just us but we found the hotel staff fine though not that friendly or helpful really, not rude but disinterested. Cleaning staff were very good, friendly, helpful and attentive.
We would certainly recommend The Lombardy if you are not looking for glamour, glitz or high end luxury, but what you do get is a great, clean, room in a quiet location perfect for shopping and exploring the city and great to come back to for relaxing and taking it easy. For the room size and location, The Lombardy is really good value for money, not so great if you want room sevice and all the trimmings but we enjoyed our stay here and would stay there again.
If you are self-sufficient, like homely comforts and and don't care about room service but want a good, clean quiet well-priced place to stay, you won't be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lombardy Hotel is the ultimate sanctuary in the bustling NYC. A short walk from New York City's leading law firms and corporate offices and moments from Central Park and Midtown East shopping. The Lombardy boasts the perfect location for business and leisure travelers and family travel with larger accommodations, most with kitchenettes or kitchens. Featuring 160 individually decorated guest rooms & suites, the Lombardy offers guests a rich experience of luxury away from home and with a warm and welcoming staff. Complimentary amenities include breakfast, WIFI, fitness room, twice daily maid service, luxury bath amenities and bottled water. American Cut Midtown steakhouse, featuring an exceptional menu, private dining, and bar/lounge, offers hotel guests a 10% discount on food & beverage. Nico Salon offers an array of men & women services on property. Ditch the standard hotel stay for a residential-style retreat to one of Manhattan's finest gems - The Lombardy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Preferred Hotels, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Lombardy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lombardy Hotel New York City
- Lombardy New York City
- Lombardy Hotel New York City