“Formerly the Taft Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Michelangelo Hotel

The Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #35 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Holland, Pennsylvania
“Formerly the Taft Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed at the Michelangelo because it used to be the Taft Hotel, where my parents were both working when they met 72 years ago!!! But besides the sentimental attachment, it is a great location and lovely, classic hotel. My only complaint is that our room was on the inside of the building and very dark. While there were windows, it gave the sense of being windowless and as a result was somber and confining.

Room Tip: The restaurant, Insieme, was expensive, but very nice.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank laikador

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

My wife and I spent a week in NY for our first stay in US.
The Michelangelo Hotel is the perfect location to be in NY.
Staying at the Michelangelo give you the unique opportunity to be on Time Square, 2 min from Rockfeller Center, 2 min from the 5th avenue, 5 min to Central Park .... The location !!
James, the Head Concierge, is the key personal for Guests' request. Always here to make your stay memorable !!
For sure, we will be back

Room Tip: Our Junior suite 717 was very enjoyable.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Erwan S
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

My daughter and I spent one week at the Michelangelo earlier this month. She was working and I got a transit card and played tourist, visiting as many museums, sights and shows as I could. The location was ideal. The subway was very close and we could walk down to Dufy square to get half price tickets just before the show. By joining I prefer (free membership) before we arrived, we got free internet and a free room upgrade to a junior suite which was roomier and had a sitting area. The room was huge, although it still only had one bed. We were told we would have to pay $50 more to have 2 beds. The bed was very comfortable, furnishing were nice and the bathroom was large and sumptuous although it only had one sink. Once we had moved in, we were pretty much left alone, except that a maid knocked on the door at 9 am each morning, wanting to clean the room. That seemed very early to us. We thought rooms were cleaned laster in the day. Also, we were jet lagged, so still asleep at 9. The concierge was nice, but not terribly knowledgeable. As I was leaving, he told me it would be fine to take the subway to the airport on a Saturday, but it turned out the local line was closed, which was a hassle. The staff was friendly enough when approached, but we didn't feel in any way pampered. Breakfast, included with the room, was only served from 7-9 (you now know we are not early risers) and was very basic - choose from a pile of croissants or a pile of mini scones, help yourself to a cup or tea or coffee. So, if you are independent and are looking for a comfortable, quiet, attractive place in a great location, look no further. IF you want pampering, look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank PHguide
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

Found the Mic through on-line references and found it to be everything I'd hoped for and more. Spacious rooms, gracious staff, excellent location and reasonably priced (for NYC). I'll be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank IlProfessore21212
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

If you choose to stay at this hotel, beware of theft. Lock up everything -- including your toothpaste! Don't leave anything unattended. Housekeeping and security are inexcusable. The management is unprofessional, appalling, and completely deplorable when there is a problem. The general manager was completely indifferent, unconcerned, and insulting when I had items stolen from my room. It is very disturbing to have personal items stolen from one’s hotel room, but it’s more distressing when management chooses to ignore their problem. In addition to the items stolen from my room, there were other problems and disappointments, but not as significant when compared to theft. I am well traveled and have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels. I stayed at The Michelangelo five nights and can undoubtedly say this is hardly a luxury 4-star hotel. Location was the only positive thing and there are many other reputable hotels in the area from which to choose. This was my first visit to The Michelangelo; needless to say, it was my last visit.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank FMGTX
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

You really can't beat this hotel. It has the best standards. I have stayed here four times and will never stay anywhere else in NYC. Perfect location- near Timesquare, walking distance to central park and radio city. But the rooms are amazingly quiet for how close it is to all the action. Great staff, great comfy rooms and beds, amazing everything. Either go to their restaurant or get room service and try the pasta- it is soooo good. It's been months since I've been there, and I still dream about it! Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Amherst, N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Arrived on December 31, 2011for New Year Eve celebration in Times Square as part of a Christmas gift for our son, his first time in NYC... this was a great location, right around the corner from Times Square & all the action. The hotel staff was excellent. Our room was clean, the bathroom was big and the tub was huge. Having a television in the bathroom was great. I already recommended this hotel to people and my family would stay again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family