“Waldorf Astoria NYC - A lovely Family Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waldorf Astoria New York

Waldorf Astoria New York
Ranked #277 of 464 Hotels in New York City
London
“Waldorf Astoria NYC - A lovely Family Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed as a family, it was made memorable by the staff hospitality. I would like to especially thank Ana Tijan, who was instrumental in making this special occasion such a delightful one. The buffet breakfast service at the Oscars restaurant was excellent and lots of choice for everyone, and would like to thank the restaurant manager Jeff in meeting our special request. We had a lovely 2 double bed suite, with a lovely lounge with classic styling. Also liked the exclusive check-in for Diamond and Gold members when they arrive, which made it more personal and was a nice touch. The choice of restaurants and bars within the hotel is pretty good, and should be able to cater for all ages and groups. The location is also ideal, and within easy walking distance from most tourist attractions. The yellow cabs (taxis) are quite reasonably priced, so we did make use of this when the kids got tiered walking.

Room Tip: Don't be shy to ask the Hotel staff, they will really try and accommodate any reasonable request...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,962)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Everything you would expect to find when you stay at a Waldorf! Personalized service and friendly people! The rooms might be a little outdated but they have a certain level of old world charm and immaculate cleaning service so it doesn't matter at all.

We stayed here with a very large group and the staff wen t above and beyond to make sure every last request was fullfilled and then some. Kudos to all employees here, because it is you that makes the people come back :)

Room Tip: High floor becasue the have wonderful views of central park.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The Lobby is amazing, such a beautiful place. Check in was wonderful, the young lady was so helpful and kind. The only issue I had was I get there early and they took my luggage until my room was ready. They did text me in a prompt manner that my room was all set, I had to head to a business meeting so I went over to the Bell man and asked if they could just put the bags in my room, I had to leave. The bellman told he he could not put the bags in my room, I needed to do it. I did and was a couple of minutes late to my meeting. World Class service would have probably taken care of that for me. I know I have recieved better service from many of the Hiltons I have stayed at. I am a Gold Memeber of their Honors plan and an Owner at HGVC so I should have gotten free internet as "they" brought up on check in, nope had to call them to tell them to take it off my bill. Small thing, maybe, but if you sell yourself as the best you should be the best.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Been to the best hotels in the world. This doesn't compare with the worst. Must trade on reputation of days gone by. Not a place for families. Pay for everything incl cartoons on TV. Wrong side of town. Unapproachable front dest staff with attitude. Gave me apology and free upgrade for next time but wouldnt take it if you paid me. Really disappointing dusty, musty and lousy Very very expensive for every little item. Hairdresser in hotel was so hopeless and so expensive that I could have paid for 10 hairdos elsewhere . Nonethess hotel offers nothing and just feel as tough youve been ripped off. Stay away if you have a family with you

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank luxuryreviewer1
enniskillen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

we stayed here late november and had a great time..check in was excellent.fast and efficent.our room had everything we needed but was a little on the small side. this hotel is in an excellent location for sight seeing and shopping..night time was great in the cocktail lounge.the christmas decorations were fantastic.cant wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We ( my daughter and I) are looking forward to our 6th visit to this fabulous and totally unique hotel. We visited as a family in 2007 and I always said if I ever went to NYC I would stay at the Waldorf. I honestly could not imagine staying anywhere else, As soon as we get out of the taxi it is like being transported to another, gentler,more charming age. I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels and while unable to fault them, once inside you could be in any big hotel anywhere in the world. Not so the Waldorf, you could not possibly be anywhere else!!.The lobby is magnificent and the rooms are so comfy and elegant none of your minimalist boutique-e chic here. We have upgraded to a suite on the last three visits and we feel like royalty.The service is faultless and the doormen and bell boys so smart in their uniforms. Oscars does a fab breakfast, yes it is pricey but you dont need to do it every morning. Ellens stardust diner and the Brooklyn diner both in Times square are cheap and full of atmosphere Normas ar the Parker Meridien is fantastic as well. A bit further afield is the Lexington candy s hop,a great place for a cheap brekkie. The bull and bear steakhouse at the Waldorf does the best steaks we have had but we really like Johnny Utah nr the Rockerfeller centre too and it is more reasonable. We always come home exhausted there is so much to do it would take too long to tell about eveything that makes what seems to be an annual event now for us, so fantastic but there is no doubt that each visit to the big apple makes us love it more and staying at the Waldorf is the icing on a huge,decadent cake. Our last visit was Jan 2011 and we had to stay an extre day due to the snow we were gutted NOT .Cant wait until 25th March 2012..

Room Tip: suite 25M is our favourite,so far it has a great view down Park Avenue
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pollyanna89
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The name suggests old world charm and glamour, which are there in abundance, but a visit to the lobby would achieve the same result. The best thing about this hotel is the location - great for walking to a number of areas at the top of the tourist 'to do' list. However, the service is impersonal and the number of passers by in the lobby can make getting to the elevators a real challenge. I'm glad I went, but wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends