“Nice”

Ranked #3,083 of 14,744 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: East Village
Neighbourhood: East Village
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

Nice oriental interiors and atmosphere (incense smell was slightly too strong though). Their desserts looked beautiful, but quite pricey.

We each had the traditional Japanese lunch set and it tasted very healthy. Some of the small dishes I didn’t love too much, but the rice, miso soup, smoked salmon and tofu were good. Came with a small green tea pudding dessert which was the right amount of sweet.

Expensive overall, but presentation is good. Did expect some of the smaller dishes to taste a bit better though.

1  Thank ccstwb

Reviewed January 27, 2018

Came here with a friend after work and we both loved the staff and the atmosphere of the restaurant. My friend was not super excited about her Mochi Mochi dessert, but I loved the black sesame /green mint ice cream they had.

If you come here, definitely try some combo of a tea and one of their ice cream desserts. The black sesame was a surprising favorite of the night.

Reviewed November 4, 2017

To mix the evening up, decided on having our dessert at cha-an following dinner at a restaurant in the area.. Not being a qualified/seasoned tea drinker I'll defer to the other tea reviewers. I selected the "Jewelry Box" to share with my guest anticipating that we would be wowed by the pastry "chef's dessert selection"...we were not. Had this been a blind test I would have surmised that I was nibbling on a Trader Joe's selection of Japanese desserts. Back to Veniero's I go for after lunch/dinner dessert.

Reviewed July 29, 2017 via mobile

LOVES the black sesame ice cream, but was disappointed by the lavender mint cold brew tea – it wasn't all that cold, nor did the mint really come through. Service was also a bit slow and the table next to us actually left because they were sat down and then ignored for about 20 minutes.

Reviewed July 26, 2017

We almost missed this wonderful teahouse tucked in between several restaurants and up the stairs in a small room on the second floor. The atmosphere was cool and comfortable and gave you the feeling of being someplace other than a hot, crowded city. I don't generally compliment the comfort of bathroom facilities, but Cha-an's had the cleanest, nicest facility I've ever visited.
We ordered the peach shaved ice - one order was just slightly enough for the four of us, but it was quite large. Served with the peach syrup and a sweetened cream on the side for you to apply as you desired, there were some slices of peach on the bottom as a bonus. I also ordered the homemade mochi which my family is quite fond of and enjoyed it thoroughly. The only downside was being told that there was a $24.00 minimum order which seemed odd - we had ordered $23.50. No problem; I chose one of their green trees and was rewarded with a flavorful hot tea to drink before heading out.
The comfort of our seating (in a cozy booth), the atmosphere in general and the delicious food make this a place I will look forward to returning to.