“Great Vegan dish, extraordinary service and atmosphere”
Review of Dovetail - CLOSED

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus Avenue
Transit: B & C trains to 81st Street and 1 train to 79th Street.
Description: Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare through various prix fixe menus and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide. Recently, Dovetail was recognized by The World of Fine Wine and given three out of three stars at the World's Best Wine List 2015.
Reviewed March 17, 2018

We took the vegan dish that was really outstanding. We had like 13 different excellent dishes each one tests different and very special. Service was outstanding! we are definitely eager to go back to this restaurant next time we are in NY.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed March 4, 2018

I was diagnosed with cancer, had just come out of a three-week hospital stay, and was about to undergo chemo. Once therapy started, I was not allowed to eat at restaurants. Although my diet was extremely limited after surgery, I knew I wanted to celebrate the next phase. Dovetail has always been one of my favorites. The chef prepared a perfect meal for me and also my partner, who had no restrictions. The wine selection is unbelievable. Great service in a five star setting, but not fussy in the least. Last meal out for months or a great special moment in NYC, it is a wonner!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

Moments of highs and lows - that's how I describe my experience at Dovetail. I'll start with the highs:

- Ambiance - intimate and not a big crowd because there's a limited number of tables. Made for a nice date night.
- Service - no complaints. Helpful and attentive.
- Canapes - served to every table as a starter before your first course.
- Fresh warm (multi-grain/wheat with raisin?) bread with house made cream cheese drizzled with honey. Ordered two! Do the same if you have room.
- Bittersweet chocolate soufflé (with rosemary infused caramel and brown butter ice cream) - I'd get it twice if I could. It's good stuff.

The lows:
Although having really good flavors, the dishes didn't wow me. Maybe I was expecting something more from a Michelin rated restaurant. Or maybe I ordered items that didn't agree w my palette. The confit shrimp had a funky smell to it, followed by a weird and indescribable first taste. I almost didn't want to finish it, but when you think about the money you're spending, you clean your plate as best you can. I overheard the other table (who also ordered the shrimp) say it was "excellent". Now I'm feeling bad, but I stand by my funky smell/taste opinion. King trumpet mushrooms and an egg yolk dish were the next two dishes for me. Egg yolk atop spicy escarole, covered in cream, with smoked crumbles that I forgot and shaved black truffles. Tasted like breakfast. Not bad. King trumpet was creamy because of the polenta blended with spinach and probably my favorite out of all the veggie dishes.

I ordered all vegetable dishes, my husband ordered the lamb and pork ravioli. He said pork ravioli was a bit oily, but seemed to have enjoyed it. I though the pork was underwhelming in flavor. Lamb is good though.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed February 18, 2018

Having dined here a couple of years ago, we were eager to get back to Dovetail. On Sundays they have a special $75 three-course prix fixe which is a real deal, not least because with the meal come some very tasty amuse-gueules at the outset as well as equally tasty petits-fours at the end. For our first course I had the soft-poached egg with duck breast; my wife had the ahi tuna. She then had pork loin and I had Nova Scotia halibut. We each had a special sundae for dessert. Everything was at it should be: superb. Dovetail deserves its Michelin star. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank operalover939
Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

Great atmosphere and wonderful service. Booked everything though Open Table and requested special accommodations and vegan/vegetarian menu. Arrived on time, seated on time, staff was “spot on”.

They don’t have an actual dedicated menu for vegan/vegetarians, but they can make special accommodations to make the dishes work.

Proper attire would be the standard protocol for any high end restaurants, but I did see a few dressed more casual than expected.

We had the vegetarian tasting dish. Well portioned and plenty of color and presentations.

Surprised it’s a Michelin rated restaurant. Don’t forget to leave your credit card at home, because Dove tails is on the higher end of the spectrum, but it so worth it.

Date of visit: February 2018