“Dinner ”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus Avenue
Transit: B & C trains to 81st Street and 1 train to 79th Street.
Description: Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare through various prix fixe menus and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide. Recently, Dovetail was recognized by The World of Fine Wine and given three out of three stars at the World's Best Wine List 2015.
Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

Wife and I had a 7 o'clock engagement, so we got 5pm reservations, just when this 1 star Michelin place opened.
We were presented 3 small but different canapes which were excellent - creative and cooked perfectly.
My watermelon radish salad was quite disappointing, as the various sized and colored radishes had little flavor... accompanied by a huge mound of whipped blue cheese. Didn't work.
My fish dish with lemon foam was very creative but the green chickpeas were bitter.
The dish of tiny wild strawberries was delicious as it was paired with green pepper tinged whip cream. Great.
We lastly were presented with choices of 6 chocolates to caramels, etc, and we tried several - just fabulous.
I know that I am supposed to give 5 stars but the different dishes should have been more consistent in quality and flavors.

Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

We ate here years ago and I was wishing for truffles pasta, none on menu tonight. We only had 1.5 hours for dinner so ordered from dinner theater menu. Although I looked at main menu but nothing really spoke to me. Creative combination of food but I missed the WOW factor. Favorite was the canapés served before meal. I had the pigeon type dish ( can’t think of the name) a bit gamey but nicely cooked and paired with a blueberry compote. Next course was lamb with fern greens. Medium rare was quite rare, tasty. Dessert was delicious, a meringue with blood orange and smoke olive oil
Service was outstanding!

Reviewed April 9, 2018

My best friend and I wanted to try a Michelin restaurant in NYC. Although having really good flavors, the dishes didn't wow me. Maybe I was expecting something more from a Michelin rated restaurant.

Reviewed April 8, 2018

We went to Dovetail while visiting NYC for my wife's 30th birthday. We have both been vegetarians for almost 7 years now and my in-laws, who were with us, are also vegetarians. We are from LA so we have been to many high end vegetarian/vegan restaurants. We looked at all the reviews about this place and were super excited to go here.

It did not disappoint in any way. The service was on point. The food blew us away. The wine was extraordinary. All four of us did the vegetarian tasting menu (7 courses) and three of us did the wine pairing. There is nothing that we would change about our experience here. I would HIGHLY recommend Dovetail to anyone that is in NYC. It is pricey but it is an experience that you will remember forever.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

An evening to remember- from the friendly staff that welcomes you at reception aa if they’ve known you forever, this restaurant is perfect! There was an amuse bouche to start - these tiny “tastings” were extraordinary- the dinners are delicious and beautifully prepared. Service was clearly well trained and accommodating for all requests. Very expensive but worth the cost for a special evening