2,604 results
All reviews upper west side museum of natural history central park amsterdam avenue nice martin new york columbia university attached restaurant great neighborhood subway line two blocks coffee maker wonderful hotel times square queen room hudson river business center
Reviewed April 4, 2018

My review is based on a very brief experience at the Lucerne. My wife, son and I arrived at 2:45pm on a very rainy afternoon at the Lucerne, checked in and were informed our room wouldn't be ready until 4 - which was fine, and within the hotel's policy. At 3:40, we were called and told our room was ready. We went up to the room with the bellhop, exited the elevator on our floor and were greeted by the overwhelming smell of raw sewage - really, really powerful. We went to our room and called the front desk. They were uninterested. We sat in our room for ten minutes wondering what to do, listening through the door all the while to the housecleaning staff commenting on the smell. We found another room in another hotel, called the front desk again to let them know and again, they seemed uninterested. Really, really unfortunate and unprofessional, and surprising considering the reviews we find here.

Room tip: Sadly, I would avoid this hotel altogether.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank weinito
Reviewed April 1, 2018

The front of the hotel is covered with scaffolding, but all was just fine inside. Serene, pleasant, professional desk agents; modest-sized, relaxed lobby that I reached during wine-tasting hour; a clean, basic room with sleekly updated bathroom and flush-floor walk-in shower. The Times (not USA Today) at the door in the morning, and a pleasant breakfast at the connected Nice Matin restaurant next door. Extremely convenient to transportation, Zabar's, Museum of Natural History Hayden Planetarium. Recommended.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2018

The front desk agent who checked me in (Chris) was very accommodating and alerted me that the higher floor room I was requesting would not have a view. As my husband and I would only be there for the night after seeing kd lang at the (nearby) Beacon Theater, I was fine with it, but appreciated the warning. The rooms are the usual very small NYC hotel room. The bathroom was serviceable, both were very clean. The decor is definitely "old world", but everything was in good repair. The staff were very friendly and professional. The hotel also offered a discount to the adjoining restaurant (Nice Matin) for breakfast. I would definitely stay again for a trip like this. Although a longer stay or a larger group would require booking a larger room for sure.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank pafox
Reviewed March 21, 2018

The Lucerne is a pleasant neighborhood hotel, a block or two from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History, close to the #1 subway line, and surrounded by good, modestly priced bistros. I had one of their "standard" rooms, and it was clean and comfortable. Quite small, but well appointed, so "small" became "cozy". The room was on the backside of the hotel and very quiet to the outside, though noise from the hall comes right through the door -- fortunately the guest clientele tends to be quite civilized, so this was not a problem.

The HVAC system is very efficient and easy to use -- one of my pet peeves is complicated controls, and these were simple to operate.

The water pressure in the shower was strong.

The best feature of the room was the marvelous, comfortable bed -- could have spent all day in that bed!

The price is reasonable -- for NYC -- although other friends who have stayed there paid quite a bit more than I did, perhaps due to high season. I was there in March and paid about $200 per night on short notice.

The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank mike r
Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

Hotel conveniently located in upper west side 1 block away from subway. 2 blocks from Museum of Natural History (again near another subway line) and Central Park. Room was very clean, comfortable. Personnel competent and courteous. A good place to stay both for the upper west side and getting around New York.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Grondy
NewYorkHotel, Manager at The Lucerne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2018

We'd like to thank you for taking the time to give us such delightful feedback. We think the Upper West Side is one of Manhattan's best kept secrets. We are so glad you enjoyed you stay with us and we hop that you'll be back to visit us again soon.