“Fantastic location, great value for money.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #327 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location, great value for money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in March, with my 2 friends, and had a fantastic time. Previous reviews highlight the hotel's location as a plus point - and you won't be disappointed. You can walk to most tourist locations and jump on the subway for those furtherafield. Highlights on foot: central park, times square, MoMA, Lincoln Centre, 5th Avenue, Top of the Rock (at night) & Grand Central Station. By subway: Statten Island Ferry - wave to the Statue of Liberty, wander around Greenwich Village, pay respects at Ground Zero, buy Broadway tickets at South Street Seaport (smaller queues than Times Square). Eating out - so much choice. Breakfast at Cafe Metro (across the road and up towards Central Park) - frequented by local New Yorkers and tourists. Dinner - would recommend Basso56 on 234 West, 56th Street (between 7th and 8th Ave, minutes from hotel) - stumbled across this fantastic Italian and enjoyed 2 great meals. Cocktails - rooftop bar at the Empire Hotel (as seen in SATC and Gossip Girl!!). And if you really want to spoil yourself - a wee trip to Tiffany's 5th Ave is a must. I can't wait to come back. Thank you Wellington Hotel for a great room and location.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank czburton66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (953)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Wellington is at a great location between the Theater District and Central Park. Carnegie Hall and Carnegie Deli are steps away. Easy walk or cab ride to Times Square and 5th Ave shopping. Restaurant and bar at Molynos are nice. Like many hotels in NYC, the rooms are small and the elevators a bit creepy.

However, our stay did come with trouble in the bathroom. The nice bell man who showed us to our room noticed the toilet making noise, and he advised that the jiggle of the handle would take care of that, no problem. Turns out there was a problem. A couple flushes later we had water all over the floor! I'll spare you the details, but needless to say an over flowing toilet is the last thing you want at 2am! Maintenance responded promptly to minimize the inconvenience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rennoz
Dallas, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Yes, the room is small. But you're in NYC! How much time are you really going to spend in your hotel room? It is an older hotel, but the upkeep was very nice. Everyone was extremely courteous and helpful. The location is AMAZING, and the lobby was beautiful and diner was great. Very, very clean and comfortable. We loved it and would highly recommend it! I'm only giving it four stars because the building is from the 70's or so. Still, for its access to the subway, Times Square and Central Park (which was our view), I can't imagine getting more for our money.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L_CatDallas_Tx
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

A girlfriend and I visited New York and stayed at the Wellington for 5 nights. I was a little nervous because some of the reviews on tripadvisor were quite negative. My experience with this hotel was almost all positive. I was EXTREMELY and pleasantly surprised by our room. ROOM 2547! We requested a room with 2 double beds. We received two little rooms and TWO bathrooms! The second "bedroom" had a bed that wasn't quite the normal length of a standard bed, but I was just fine. I'm 5'8. One bath was a shower/toilet/sink, the other bath had a tub & shower with toilet/sink. It is an old building, and the furnishings & wallpaper are a bit dated & worn, but they were clean. The only negative thing I can say is that I had to run my shower for about 5 minutes before I got hot water, but that didn't happen every day--I think the temp varied according to the time of day. I would stay here again. Every hotel employee was courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Room 2547 has TWO baths and two small bedrooms and TWO televisions. I loved it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Poodlegirl1968
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I arrived at about 5:30 to check in and when I asked for a high floor room, I was told it was to be in the Park Central across the street. My mouth dropped open. They said that they had already booked all of my "class of room". Well, I have stayed at the Park Central as a Priceline customer once and it was the shabbiest darkest room I have stayed in except for the Days Inn on Broadway. I did not get upset. But I refused to leave, and started recounting my experience over there. (Some of these hotels save their worst rooms for Priceline customers.)
Finally they gave in and "upgraded" me. It was a lovely room- newly renovated but the size of a closet (or a New York Apt.) TINY. If this was an upgrade- still wondering what the other option was? The funniest part of the room was the shower curtain bar was so high that the shower curtain hung above the tub so the water just dribbled down. Someone was not thinking. I see more renovations in the future starting with the ceiling below.
Furthering the second class citizen feel, the free internet listed on the hotel website is not available to Expedia or Priceline customers. I used Starbucks across the street. The window opened a little but even with the heat turned off, was still tropical in there. There was no coffeemaker or fridge (no room for either).
And some poor exhausted Australians showed up after we went to bed, having been assigned our room. oops. Sorry mate if you got shipped across the street.
Good location by the NR and by the park.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CSSnowshoer
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have read quite a few reviews about this hotel so didn't know what to expect as they vary so much! Heres our view....
On arrival reception staff were lovely and helpful. First impressions were good and hotel was although a bit dated it was clean and tidy.
We were on the 11 th floor - room was clean and good sized however the view was a brick wall! Not what we wanted so I asked reception to move us. They were completely fine with this and moved us on to the 27th floor with views if central park. Bathroom was a little bit small but it was all clean and tidy. And sometimes the shower would go hot then cold but other than that room was great!
It has a restaurant well worth trying if u like Greek food and a cafe which did great breakfasts!
They also let us extend our checkout which helped too
I can't really fault it for the price we paid and it was clean and tidy yes it could do with a bit of an update which I think they r doing but we had a great stay and would stay again. Maybe for those that didn't like the room they should have asked to move!

• Stayed March 2012
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012 via mobile

It looks like the rooms in this hotel have not been renovated in 30 years. I'm not sure if the bathtub was old or dirty. The taps on the sink would come on on their own. Price charged is purely for location. The staff is nice but had I known about the room I would have spent a few hundred more and gone elsewhere. 2 stars.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels