“Convenient But Not 4 Stars!”

The Roosevelt Hotel
Ranked #375 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Keller, Texas
“Convenient But Not 4 Stars!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My friend, her mother in law and I traveled to NYC this past weekend to see her daughter sing at Carnegie Hall with her high school choir. When we arrived at the hotel, I went to borrow the luggage cart to use myself but the doorman would not let me take it which was annoying to say the least! I did not want to tip anyone, I just wanted to use the cart and get my luggage to my room on my own. He would not allow it. So we lugged our bags inside to the lobby.

The lobby is gorgeous!

Once you get to the room, it is nothing special. The rooms are very small especially if you have three or more people. There are no coffee pots, fridge or microwaves. The bathroom door almost hits the toilet when open. The bathroom is not updated and dull. My room did not get cleaned until around 3pm one day. I just didn't see where hotwire gives this hotel 5 stars. I would have had more amenities at a 3 star!

As far as convenience, you couldn't beat it being right across the street from Grand Central Station. And the beds are very comfy.

If you decide to stay here, be sure to print all tickets and boarding passes before you leave so you do not have to use their computer. They will charge you an arm and a leg to use them!

My stay wasn't horrible but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again due to the size of the rooms and the service.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite. Rooms on the upper floors are quieter. Take note that if you purchase their high s...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
rooseveltnyc, Guest Relations Manager at The Roosevelt Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. My apologies for any issues caused by not being able to use the luggage cart. I will certainly forward your concerns onto the approperiate manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,271)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights to celebrate our Moms 70th birthdays. We had two rooms. I was concerned about the room after reading the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. We checked in early and had booked two double beds but offered to get a king so that we could check in early. The front desk was very appreciative and gave us some vouchers for breakfast. The hotel staff was very nice. Great location and reasonable price. Would stay there again.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Julie B
Thank you for your comments and review. Happy Birthday to your mother. We look forward to your next visit.
Mass
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Gorgeous lobby but it about stops there. The room was extremely small with no bureaus so we kept our clothes in our suitcase. There was an very very small closet near the door and they had a curtain hanging off a rod to act as a door. The bed was uncomfortable, the pillows horrendous. Nothing on the walls and the bath was in need of dyer repair. The shower head was very old, cheap and broken. The tile and grout was cracked and missing pieces and they tried to cover it up with big thick lines of grout. There was just a sink with no vanity so there was no room to put anything. This is the 2nd hotel in NYC that we stayed at that offers no refrigerator or coffee pot. I thought this was going to be such a nice place and I was so disappointed!

Room Tip: choose a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I will certainly forward your concerns onto the approperiate manager. My apologies for any issues you experienced during your stay.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We had soooo many issues at this hotel. First, they wouldn't let us check in one minute early. Next, heater in room was broken on a very cold night. And had trouble with TV. They did move us into another room. However, we initially were supposed to have 3 people in our room but ended up with just 2. When they gave us a heated room, they moved us from 2 beds to 1. Lucky for us we were minus one person. On the first night, our sheets smelled as though they hadn't been changed. We tried to contribute to water saving effort by re-using towels and hanging them up. Cleaning staff continued to replace them anyway. $15 per hour for wi-fi; no coffee maker in room. We tried to order coffee to go at restaurant and they would not do it. We then asked for coffee (without to-go cups) and told them we were guests and would like to take coffee to our room. They refused saying we would have to order it through room service - which would include a $4,50 fee plus gratuity...in addition to the cost of a cup of coffee. It was riduculous. They definitely were not about to go out of their way for their guests. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. My apologies for any issues you experienced during your visit. I will certainly forward your concerns regarding "to-go" coffee to the approperiate manager. Thanks again for your comments.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The location of this hotel has got to be it's selling point! One block from Grand Central, 5 mins from Times Square. There are loads of eateries within close proximity, including delis, diners and restaurants.
The lobby is very grand, the desk staff very pleasant (unusual in NYC!!) and the concierge extremely helpful. The hotel has just undergone a renovation, and the outside is yet to be completed, but don't let this put you off. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Sizes vary depending on what room you book/get (have stayed twice and had a much bigger room last time). Shower over the bath was really powerful, and the bathroom overall was fine, just little things like rust on the shower rail. But everything was clean and functioned properly.
To be honest, if you're a tourist, you will only use your room to sleep and freshen up in and for that the Roosevelt can't be beaten.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JollyHols38
Thank you for your review and comments. We look forward to your next visit.
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Like most on here I too was apprehensive about my stay at the Roosevelt. I'm pleased to say, that in part, my apprehensions did not fully come to fruition. As ever I'll start with the positives. The lobby, bar area and all other communal areas of the hotel were immaculate and the 1930s decor was stunning in my opinion, here the hotel is befitting of it's mantra "the grand old dame". Clearly the makers of Gossip Girl agreed, they were filming at the hotel during my stay. The food was good too, my steak earned it's $25 price tag I'd say. The maid service was excellent, each day I returned to my room to find my bed made with fresh towels in the bathroom, the cleaning it's self was to high standard with all the debrief from my previous day's exploits in and around Manhattan readily taken care of. The location of the hotel is another positive, if you want to walk or take the Subway most of the key attractions of this great city are within easy reach of the Roosevelt. Now about the room, 852, it was clean, a good size and contained two comfortable double beds. However, it is true to say that there were some noticeable minor aesthetic defects though certainly not enough to warrant any great concern, the bathroom however, whilst being clean and fully functional was in need of refurbishment. Small pockets of mold had developed around the bath with the some of the enamel worn away on the bath it's self. In all the bathroom had a rather dated feel to it though I should stress that this again is no great cause for concern. We are talking minor defects here, similar to those I've encountered in 4 and 5 star hotels. My experience of the hotel bar was over all a little less then satisfactory, service was slow, here I do not blame the bar staff, the fact is on the nights in question there simply wasn't enough staff on to cope with demand. In all certainly not the horror hotel some would have you believe, I enjoyed my stay and would happily return. A solid 3 star hotel that has the potential to strive for better things. If you're thinking of staying at the Roosevelt I have some advice for you. 1) Don't pay $14 per day for Internet access. Every Starbucks and McDonald's in Manhattan provides free wireless Internet access, simply accept the terms and conditions and you're online. There is at least three Starbucks and one McDonald's with two minutes walk of the hotel. 2) If you're a Steak fan you must visit Morton's Steak House, a minutes walk away on the same street (45th Street) Morton's provides probably the best Steak in the world, I cannot describe how good this restaurant is. If you have the cash to spare, it is pricey, you must go. 3) Visit the Highline. The Highline is an old elevated rail road that snakes it's way throughout the lower middle half of Manhattan and beyond. Long since disused it has been converted into public gardens with much of the old rail infrastructure left in place, it truly is a unique, beautiful public space that provides great views of the city and a great place to unwind. Entrance can be found on 23rd Street, and the best part, it's completely free. 4) For breakfast lunch or dinner try the New York Luncheonette, situated on 50th Street close to the junction with 3rd Avenue it's about a five minute walk from the hotel. The locals love it and so will you.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your very detailed review. I will certainly forward your concerns onto the approperiate manager. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Nice lobby. Rooms are not. No bathtub or coffee maker. Bathroom is tiny so is closet Shower had active mold on walls & the floor was dirty. The shower head couldn't be tilted or movable. The hvac made loud noises off & on. Location is awesome. 5 minute walk to Rockerfellar Center, Theatre district. 10 minute walk to times square. 1 minute to Grand Central.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for your comments. My most sincerest apologies for any issues you experienced. I will certainly foward your concerns regarding the bathroom on to the approperiate manager. Thanks again for your comments.