“Not bad for a Motel 6” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Cedar City
Zion National Park, Utah
“Not bad for a Motel 6”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I booked one of there cheaper rooms in early April (1 double bed for 48+tax). The room was OK. I did notice some oversights on the part of housekeeping, but nothing worth complaining about. The coffee pot had not been rinsed, and there was a dirty wash cloth hanging on the shower curtain rod. Tall people may enjoy the shower because it is about 7 feet off the ground. I am 5' 2" so I did not. The only thing that really bothered me about the room was the noise. There were a number of intermittent buzzing sounds. The loudest was the furnace, but the refrigerator was a close second. For breakfast they had waffles, hard boiled eggs, toast, bananas, red apples, cereal, and donuts along wish some drinks. They did have Tazo tea and real creamer which was a plus. I don't think I would book this place again unless I got a really good.deal. So far the only other hotel in Cedar City I have tried was the Crystal Inn and Suites and it is definitely the better hotel in just about every way.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Boulder City, NV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Spent March 15 and 16, 2012, at this Best Western. The room was spacious, clean, and well appointed with coffee maker and refrigerator. One queen bed rated about a 7. Quiet enough.
HOWEVER, the room had a thermostat which did not work. Too warm to sleep in for me (74 degrees) and after contacting the front desk, the clerk did attempt to operate it for me but to no avail. Offered to move me (I'm 65 and it was 11:30 p.m.) so VERY reluctantly I agreed but suggested he check out the room he wanted to move me to before we did so. He returned within a reasonable time with the sad news that none of the thermostats were working and the other available rooms were warmer than mine. I requested a table fan and they had none. It was refreshingly only 63 degrees outside with a brisk breeze so I asked his assistance in opening the small real window (I couldn't budge it) and opened the front door all the way and sat up and waited for about 1/2 an hour and the temperature finally dropped to about 67 and I closed the door and went to sleep. Spoke with the owner/manager the next morning and he explained that NONE of the thermostats were operational as they had not been turned on yet (Cedar City being fairly cool in March) and 'didn't I know how expensive electricity was?'. I was consistently polite and understanding but did advise it wasn't good business to provide a thermostat and not let renters know it was non-operational. I again requested a table fan so that the same situation would not occur on the l6th and he said same would be provided. Fortunately I left the front window open and that day was cooler so when we returned that evening it was cool enough to sleep in. I had requested economic relief for the extreme inconvenience of the preceding night but upon check out on the 17th, non was afforded.

The original reservation was made by my brother for adjoining rooms and confirmed as such but upon arrival, they were not adjoining nor even next to one another. There was a room in between (not a great handicap) and when I inquired as to why they could not be next to one another was informed that my brother and his wife were in a one queen room as
was I, but the room in the middle had two queens and was more expensive. They were all
exactly the same, and it led me to believe that the owner was practicing to be a CEO (or at least the Chief Financial Officer) of one of the enumerable money grubbing corporations. My senior brother and his wife experienced the same too warm conditions the first night but were able to get to sleep, however they were unable to open the rear window. Additionally,
the floor in his room was canted almost 10 degrees and he related that he felt like he might
actually roll off the bed, but they were able to tolerate this condition. The night desk clerk who assisted me was totally gracious, respectful and as helpful as he could be although he was not trained to address the issue.

The 'complimentary' lobby breakfast was barely adequate, but worth the free price. Most of the fruit was into beginning rot and if you weren't the proverbial early bird, most of the provisions were gone although speedily replaced upon request.

To reiterate this title, Not bad, but probably not again.

Room Tip: Bring a table fan............
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Twin Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

Nice hotel with friendly, efficient staff. Door was a little drafty but we fixed it with some towels. Location is central to Cedar City but is quiet and off-highway.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Escalante
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I was concerned that our stay would be too noisy as the hotel is in the center of the city. Our room was toward the back of the complex and it was very quiet. The beds were pillow top and very cozy. The room was clean and the staff helpful and accommodating. I will be recommending this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EscalanteBeezy
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

WE went recently on a vacation to the National Parks in Utah and flew into Cedar City. The hotel owner picked us up from the airport. The hotel rooms are very spacious and the breakfast pretty good. WE also stayed at the hotel the last day of the trip. What was very striking is that I mentioned at the desk that our flight toreturn home was at 6 pm. They offered
us to stay in the room until departure. Then when we went to check out, the clerk put a sign
"be back shortly" and drove us up to the airport. We were greatly surprised by the hospitality.

Room Tip: Second floor in the back is quietest
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Heading on from Monumental Valley on the way to Vegas we decided to stop off at Cedar City for a break and had the luck to find this Motel. We had a family suite which was huge and well appointed and plenty of room for us 4 (parents +2 teenagers) which gave us all some privacy and was only $US90 a night ! We wanted to ski Brian Head Resort which was an easy 40 mins away and were not disappointed. After a great day skiing came back to a sauna, then hot spa and would of had a dip in the pool but the ice cover discouraged me a bit ! I know , a bit soft , eh ? But as to the motel , the owner was around both days , helped out in the breakfast room and ensured a hot brekky for all and was very helpful as were the staff in advising us on the local items of interest. Would stay there again in a flash as we loved the ski resort !!!

Room Tip: If after a bit of privacy the Suites are excellent and mention your 'AAA' membership for a...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Manassas, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Best Western El Rey will claim that they have hi-speed internet service; they are lying to you. There were a couple wireless connections that a) didn't work, and b) were one bar, so even if you were successful in connecting to them, wouldn't have been of any use. Awful. The room was very tiny and the bed was lumpy, though everything worked. Old unit. Would have merited a three star review if the internet was serviceable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business