Camino Real El Paso
Comfort Inn & Suites I-10 Airport(El Paso)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$47
Red Roof Inn El Paso East(El Paso)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$74
Groupon.com
US$80
Hotels.com
All reviewshistoric hoteltiffany glass domeunderground parkingan older hoteloutdoor pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I spent last night at the Camino Real and have to say we were very disappointed and upset for wasting our money. The hotel itself is beautiful, lobby area, bar worth checking out. The rooms however are a different story. The decor is very dated and minimalist. The white curtains only accentuate how boring the whole decor is. It must also be the only hotel I have been in the last 5 years that doesn't have a flat screen! The thermostat must be from the 70s and it was coming off the wall. The plumbing was ancient. The bathroom door was broken on the bottom. The only redeeming quality is that both the room and the bathroom were quite spacious. After having to spend the night at this old ruin of a room, at the "bargain" price of $85 a night, the slap in the face came at checkout when we were charged $6 for parking. Apparently being guests at the Camino Real extends you no more courtesies than any other person who just wants to park there. I asked the front desk clerk when was the last time the rooms were renovated and he said the 80s. It's a real shame because it's a beautiful historical building that should be treated with more respect. Bottom line, we will NOT be going back any time soon, unless some serious renovations take place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ismael R, Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write comment about your stay. I'm sorry that we didn't quite met your expectations. We are in the process of making some changes in our rooms and upgrading to flat screen TV's. As well as general updates to the property. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show the changes we will be making in the near future. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me directly at jrrodriguez@crelpaso.com I will make certain your next stay is a memorable one

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel because of Expedia's bargain deal (USD54+tax). I did not know which hotel I would stay until the booking became final. Usually, I try to avoid an old, historic hotel like Camino Real. I was not excited about going to the hotel at all. It turned out that the room was surprisingly clean, spacious and modern. The bed was comfy and the internet was free.

One thing I need to mention is that parking is not free (USD6).

As long as the price is right, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BGO7
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My husband recently returned from a business trip at this hotel. This is his review:

Camino Real is a classic, historic hotel. The lobby area and the magnificent, domed bar are beautiful. However, everything goes down hill from there.

The only things that are not painfully slow at this hotel are the elevator doors. You better be quick or they will close on you.

Restaurant service was awful. The restaurant has a buffet, so the wait staff should not have too much to do. I walked in and stood there for quite some time while the person behind the register worked out some problem with a customer. The manager walked up to me and asked if I had been helped, to which I replied “no.” He just stood there and looked annoyed. I finally said “one for dinner,” at which time he started looking around for a table. Most were vacant. He saw a small table, which needed cleaning, so he cleaned it up and directed me to it. I sat, and then sat some more. No wait staff approached me. Finally a woman with a plate of food approached the table and just stared at me. I realized that this was her table and she had gone to the buffet for a refill. I surrendered the table and just stood in the middle of the dining room, looking for help. I stopped a very harassed-looking waitress and asked for a table. She pointed in the general direction of a group of tables, so I walked over and selected one, and waited for some service. The harassed-looking waitress finally walked toward me with a glass of water. She looked at the glass suspiciously and then said that she would get me another one. When she came back, I told her I would get the buffet. I was afraid that ordering from the menu would be just too much for her. The buffet was OK…nothing special. It was clear that the bread and salad areas needed refilling, but nobody attended to them. Of course, the waitress never came back to check on me or bring me a bill. I saw that there was a long line at the register, so I walked over and found that none of these people had gotten a check. The young man at the register seemed baffled by it all and took forever. I tried to pay with cash, but he had no change. I used a credit card and escaped.

My room was on the seventh floor with a nice view of Juarez. It was spacious, clean and had nice-looking furniture. The bathroom looked a little beat, and there was no stopper in the sink, which was a problem for shaving in the morning. A colleague told me she did not have stopper either. The showerhead was one with variable spray, but it was stuck on a hard spray, which required me to duck about in the shower or suffer pain. Air temperature control in the room was bad. It was either too cold or too hot. I’m glad I was there in February, and not in the Texas summer.

The room-cleaning staff did not show up until almost 6 P.M. the first day, so I told them not to bother. I saw only one cleanup cart for the entire floor. No wonder it took them so long, and the staff looked exhausted.

For me, the most annoying thing about the hotel was the free, but lousy wireless service. There was no Ethernet in the rooms. There was open wireless, and a number of secure wireless options, for which they would give you the password. It didn’t make any difference whether it was open, secured, or in the meeting rooms. It was s-l-o-w, just like dial-up used to be. Essentially, it was useless. This surprises me because this is billed as a convention hotel, and it is across the street from the El Paso Convention Center. It is a hotel for business people, and today’s business people need a reasonable Internet connection. The front desk folks seemed surprised that I was not happy with the wireless, but there have been a number of negative reviews on that topic, among others.

The food service in the meeting area was good. A particular treat, however, was the practice fire alarm in the middle of a presentation by a speaker flown in from Washington, D.C. Wonderful staff communication.

I cannot recommend this hotel. It is very clearly understaffed, and at least the restaurant staff is poorly trained. It is worth a look on the first floor, since it is a beautiful historic hotel. Don’t miss the impressive domed bar. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This hotel is a great old building (formerly the Paso Del Norte in the old days), the Westin chain remodeled the place about 20 years ago and made this gem gorgeous. The Camino Real chain bought the hotel from the Westin Chain and has let the hotel deteriorate over the past 10 years. It is unfortunate because the rooms are big but the Camino Real chain has spent zero money on upkeep. The furniture and rooms are very dated, the plumbing fixtures look old and our room heat did not work at all. When I checked in, other guests were complaining about service and problems. The Camino Real was once a great hotel chain, but the Mexican owners take zero pride in keeping things up. We stayed here only due to location but I doubt I will stay again. Location for the Plaza theater is good but other than that, this place is living off of past glory. The owners obviously just do not care what anyone thinks. It is a pity the buffoons who own this place dont take more pride in the place!

Room Tip: If you travel in the winter....take a plug in heater with you, the heat in the rooms just sucks.
2  Thank Largeandy
Ismael R, Manager at Camino Real El Paso, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

We strive to provide great service to all our guests, and are currently working on updates and renovations. This will take some time and I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you for writing this review.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

First, the hotel was in the perfect location for us because we were going to eat dinner downtown and go to the Plaza Theatre (directly across the street) for a show Saturday Night. At check in the lady at the front desk, while very pleasant, was all alone and not very efficient. We had a minor issue with the rate and reservation but it was resolved. The room (King bed) was large and the furniture was a bit above average. Interestingly, not a single piece of art on the wall. Yes, the TV was very old but did not matter as we were not there to watch TV. The bathroom was below average and definitely could be updated but everything worked. The main restaurant and bar area were popular. All in all, for the rate we paid and the fact all of our activities were downtown, I would stay there again if we need to be downtown.

1  Thank KPLTulsa

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We have already updated some rooms and will continue to do so in the future, ask for one on your next stay with us