All reviews antique furniture gas fireplace social tap third floor room california coast ocean seaward
Reviewed August 19, 2017

Want a beachfront hotel on a budget, this is your place. Want pristine accommodations, go somewhere else.

This place needs some serious renovations, but if they did then the prices would seriously go up, I'm sure. The carpet is well-worn the wallpaper is dated. The armoire creaked and groaned when we opened it and the in-room gas fireplace didn't work. That being said, the bed was clean and comfortable, the towels were fresh, the shower was updated and attractive. Water pressure was good and the pipes didn't shutter.

The staff was professional and courteous. We called on a whim to see if a room was available during the busy season and a room on the top floor. I would recommend requesting the top floor. The ground floor rooms have one common porch area for all of them. The second floor has hip-height walls between rooms on their balcony, but the top floor as private balconies separated by a couple of feet.

The area has several nice little restaurants within a few hundred feet and there are much more within a short drive. There is even a corner market close by.

We saw several families staying there as well as couples. The location is next to public parking for the beach, but the crowd on the beach was not too big. Some homeless people were hanging about, but you get that around the beach. We occasionally stay in Laguna and there are lots there.

All of the rooms are beach facing and the sound of the ocean is a wonderful thing to fall asleep to and you can't beat the climate. The room was a little stuffy when we got there, but we opened the door to the room and the patio and the cross breeze freshened it up quickly.

If you are sensitive about ultra clean accommodations, I would go up the street to the Crown Royal. You'll pay a lot more, but you will get nicer facilities. But if you have limited funds and don't mind a little wear and tear (I drive a '98 Nissan a dent or two), then this is a right priced place for you.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms offer the most privacy
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jim W
Reviewed August 16, 2017

Loved staying at a hotel right on the beach -- hotel has the feel of a bed & breakfast. Breakfast was rolls, juice & coffee. Restaurants within walking distance & beach is literally outside hotel doors. 2nd & 3rd floors have better view than 1st floor; 1st floor has patios & upper rooms have balconies. Hotel does not have air conditioning, but we opened door & put the fan in doorway to get air circulating, which cooled the room considerably.

Room Tip: Perfect for a night on the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

I have stayed here before. This time room was in good condition with exception and big exception - the carpet. It even made the room smell!

I stayed one night and my daughter the other. She said her husband thought it was great.

I was worried about her asthma though. Can't figure out why they don't invest in a good deep carpet cleaning.

The breakfast is not so adequate. Nothing fresh.

Otherwise, the location is the star of this motel being smack dab on the beach.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2017

The best thing about this place is that it is right on the beach,steps from the parking lot and good places to eat within a few short steps.We ate at Social Tap a local beer joint that had great food and a Bloody Mary Bar (make your own).

Room Tip: If you are bringing any kind of Surfboard or paddle board it would be a good idea to get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at Inn on the Beach during a work trip that had me traveling up the California coast area for about a week. After the extreme frantic hustle & bustle of the San Diego and LA areas, it was nice to pull off the freeway to Seaward Ave and find that my hotel was at the end of a dead-end cul-de-sac right on the beach. Because the street is a dead end, there is not as much traffic here, just a cute village feel with seafood eateries, a wonderful coffee shop, a bar or two, and the hotel at the end on the beach.

I've read some of the reviews here, and a few seem pretty harsh and don't reflect my experience staying at the Inn. Yes, it's an old hotel -actually, I wish I knew how old, it seems there might be a cool history here. And like any old building, there are areas that seem worn, and quirky water issues, but my room was clean enough and had a great balcony with unending ocean views.

I had a third floor room and I think the views are best. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but had nice soft clean linens. There is a flat screen TV, refrigerator, and hair dryer in the room. There is a microwave in the breakfast room which I think was on the second floor. Coffee is available there as well; no in-room coffee pot.

The bathroom was updated with a walk in shower. Interestingly enough, although the fixtures are updated, you can tell you are dealing with an old water / plumbing system -as adjusting the water temperature in the shower is a challenge. Also, the toilet flush chain kept separating from the apparatus in the tank, so I had to fix that a couple of times so the water would run endlessly in the toilet tank.

Interesting antique furniture and fussy pink rose wallpaper give a great historic feel. Parking and wi-fi are free.

I had a friendly seagull who took up residence on my balcony for my stay. :)

I highly recommend a latte or frappe from Kay's Coffee Shop just down from the hotel. GREAT coffee. Also, Seaward Village Fish N Chips for lunch or dinner. Yum.

The desk staff could not have been friendlier and the location can't be beat. I would stay here again for sure if in the area.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business