“A nite I will always remember....”
Review of Inn on the Beach

Inn on the Beach
Ranked #7 of 9 Ventura B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 November 2017

I really loved this place. Its very eclectic and old school. We had a beach front room and it couldn't have been a better location. You need 2nd or 3rd floor for view because of the sand dune that blocks ground floor. Next door ( walking) is a marvelous Italian restaurant. After a few glasses of wine we went back to our room and enjoyed the ocean all night long. It never disappoints and the fire place in the room was really cool. It is the only ocean front hotel in that vicinity and I am glad its not some swanky place. Its quirky like the rooms but its well worth a stay to spend a nite on the sand with the waves crashing it doesn't get much better. I love the low key funky vibe and realize its not the Ritz!! ( thank goodness) I will always recommend the Inn on the Beach.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor facing ocean ( A Must)
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 November 2017

As far as location, you can't get any closer to the sand and surf unless you are sitting right on the beach. Wonderful sitting on the balcony watching the waves and the sunsets. Nice little neighbourhood with a choice of dining options within 2 blocks.

However...as other reviewers have noted, this property is beyond worn down. We have stayed in a lot of "dated" hotels but this one was beyond anything I have experienced. While the room itself was clean and the towels and linens were fresh, the common areas were so horrible I felt the need to wash my hands just walking through the halls and stairwells. The carpet in the stairwells looked as though someone had rebuilt their '57 Chevy engine block there with oil stains (or something) all over the carpet. It gave me the impression that the owners just don't care about guests, that the attitude is "well we have a great location so the rooms will always be filled so why invest in even a new carpet?" I felt it shows a great disrespect to the guests.

The furniture in the room was also worn and looks like it had been collected in a variety of garage sales and thrift shops. The view from the balcony was great; however, whoever purchased the balcony furniture has obviously never sat out there. You sit in the low chairs and get a great eye-level view of...the guard rail. You either sit on the table to see the waves or must be right up against the rail to see the waves and shoreline.

Breakfast? Some left over Costco muffins and pastries and a bin of cornflakes. We skipped it and went out.

Very disappointed; I had always wanted to stay here but the lack of care for the property will have me returning to the hotels downtown. Maybe someday they will show guests some respect with a clean hotel.

Room Tip: Third floor has the best views
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jerjon
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Want a beachfront hotel on a budget, this is your place. Want pristine accommodations, go somewhere else.

This place needs some serious renovations, but if they did then the prices would seriously go up, I'm sure. The carpet is well-worn the wallpaper is dated. The armoire creaked and groaned when we opened it and the in-room gas fireplace didn't work. That being said, the bed was clean and comfortable, the towels were fresh, the shower was updated and attractive. Water pressure was good and the pipes didn't shutter.

The staff was professional and courteous. We called on a whim to see if a room was available during the busy season and a room on the top floor. I would recommend requesting the top floor. The ground floor rooms have one common porch area for all of them. The second floor has hip-height walls between rooms on their balcony, but the top floor as private balconies separated by a couple of feet.

The area has several nice little restaurants within a few hundred feet and there are much more within a short drive. There is even a corner market close by.

We saw several families staying there as well as couples. The location is next to public parking for the beach, but the crowd on the beach was not too big. Some homeless people were hanging about, but you get that around the beach. We occasionally stay in Laguna and there are lots there.

All of the rooms are beach facing and the sound of the ocean is a wonderful thing to fall asleep to and you can't beat the climate. The room was a little stuffy when we got there, but we opened the door to the room and the patio and the cross breeze freshened it up quickly.

If you are sensitive about ultra clean accommodations, I would go up the street to the Crown Royal. You'll pay a lot more, but you will get nicer facilities. But if you have limited funds and don't mind a little wear and tear (I drive a '98 Nissan a dent or two), then this is a right priced place for you.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms offer the most privacy
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jim W
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Loved staying at a hotel right on the beach -- hotel has the feel of a bed & breakfast. Breakfast was rolls, juice & coffee. Restaurants within walking distance & beach is literally outside hotel doors. 2nd & 3rd floors have better view than 1st floor; 1st floor has patios & upper rooms have balconies. Hotel does not have air conditioning, but we opened door & put the fan in doorway to get air circulating, which cooled the room considerably.

Room Tip: Perfect for a night on the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

I have stayed here before. This time room was in good condition with exception and big exception - the carpet. It even made the room smell!

I stayed one night and my daughter the other. She said her husband thought it was great.

I was worried about her asthma though. Can't figure out why they don't invest in a good deep carpet cleaning.

The breakfast is not so adequate. Nothing fresh.

Otherwise, the location is the star of this motel being smack dab on the beach.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2017

The best thing about this place is that it is right on the beach,steps from the parking lot and good places to eat within a few short steps.We ate at Social Tap a local beer joint that had great food and a Bloody Mary Bar (make your own).

Room Tip: If you are bringing any kind of Surfboard or paddle board it would be a good idea to get a room on t...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

I stayed at Inn on the Beach during a work trip that had me traveling up the California coast area for about a week. After the extreme frantic hustle & bustle of the San Diego and LA areas, it was nice to pull off the freeway to Seaward Ave and find that my hotel was at the end of a dead-end cul-de-sac right on the beach. Because the street is a dead end, there is not as much traffic here, just a cute village feel with seafood eateries, a wonderful coffee shop, a bar or two, and the hotel at the end on the beach.

I've read some of the reviews here, and a few seem pretty harsh and don't reflect my experience staying at the Inn. Yes, it's an old hotel -actually, I wish I knew how old, it seems there might be a cool history here. And like any old building, there are areas that seem worn, and quirky water issues, but my room was clean enough and had a great balcony with unending ocean views.

I had a third floor room and I think the views are best. The bed was a little firm for my taste, but had nice soft clean linens. There is a flat screen TV, refrigerator, and hair dryer in the room. There is a microwave in the breakfast room which I think was on the second floor. Coffee is available there as well; no in-room coffee pot.

The bathroom was updated with a walk in shower. Interestingly enough, although the fixtures are updated, you can tell you are dealing with an old water / plumbing system -as adjusting the water temperature in the shower is a challenge. Also, the toilet flush chain kept separating from the apparatus in the tank, so I had to fix that a couple of times so the water would run endlessly in the toilet tank.

Interesting antique furniture and fussy pink rose wallpaper give a great historic feel. Parking and wi-fi are free.

I had a friendly seagull who took up residence on my balcony for my stay. :)

I highly recommend a latte or frappe from Kay's Coffee Shop just down from the hotel. GREAT coffee. Also, Seaward Village Fish N Chips for lunch or dinner. Yum.

The desk staff could not have been friendlier and the location can't be beat. I would stay here again for sure if in the area.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business