All reviews gas fireplace antique furniture social tap third floor room california coast dune ocean seaward
Reviewed March 3, 2018

Upon arrival, location was perfect, 40 yards from the breaking waves of the Pacific Ocean. Then we got to our room... The room was so dirty, my spouse or myself would even walk on the carpet without our shoes on, you could write your name in the dust on the headboard (literally), bed springs jabbed my leg from the side of the mattress. Room came with a continental breakfast, the closet sized space utilized for this so called free breakfast was most likely NOT approved by the health department! Nice attempt at remodeling the bathroom, however, clearly never looked up, ceiling was a mess at best (Molding, warping, caked in one inch of dust) Come on, how hard is it to lift your feather duster? Even if only once a month, would have been a huge improvement. In all fairness, staff was welcoming and friendly, and bedding and towels were clean. This hotel is located very near a recent wildfire and possibly could have been used to house fire victims, however, for $150 a night, this place would be expected to be a WHOLE lot cleaner.

Room Tip: Look closer to the Harbor.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank R6400SHkevind
Reviewed March 1, 2018

Location is the best. Right on the beach. Small balcony overlooking ocean. Spectacular! However, the hotel and room are hazmat worthy. Filth everywhere. I have never stayed in such a dirty hotel. Luckily, the bed sheets seemed fresh and the shower was recently updated. Otherwise, you did not want to touch anything! Bed was comfortable but scary due to the state of the rest of the room. The in room coffee maker had never been cleaned, old coffee grinds were still in it. There were no washcloths. We requested some from the front desk and they gave us extra hand towels to use as washcloths stating that housekeeping was a bit behind - no kidding! I honestly think this hotel is a fire hazard. Not sure how they have not been cited.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debkb1
Reviewed January 17, 2018 via mobile

If you want a beautiful view of the ocean, THE prime location, steps from the beach and surounded by awesome friendly family owned restaurants of all kinds, and walking distance to the grocery store then THIS is the hotel for you!
If you're looking for great accomidations, clean rooms, warm fresh breakfast, fancy new linens and matching patio furniture... then keep scrolling. It is extremely outdated and not so warm and welcoming. But with the beach seconds away from your feet, I would assume you wouldn't be spending too much time inside.
Location location location

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lilly K
Reviewed November 15, 2017

I really loved this place. Its very eclectic and old school. We had a beach front room and it couldn't have been a better location. You need 2nd or 3rd floor for view because of the sand dune that blocks ground floor. Next door ( walking) is a marvelous Italian restaurant. After a few glasses of wine we went back to our room and enjoyed the ocean all night long. It never disappoints and the fire place in the room was really cool. It is the only ocean front hotel in that vicinity and I am glad its not some swanky place. Its quirky like the rooms but its well worth a stay to spend a nite on the sand with the waves crashing it doesn't get much better. I love the low key funky vibe and realize its not the Ritz!! ( thank goodness) I will always recommend the Inn on the Beach.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor facing ocean ( A Must)
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank jstevens S
Reviewed November 12, 2017

As far as location, you can't get any closer to the sand and surf unless you are sitting right on the beach. Wonderful sitting on the balcony watching the waves and the sunsets. Nice little neighbourhood with a choice of dining options within 2 blocks.

However...as other reviewers have noted, this property is beyond worn down. We have stayed in a lot of "dated" hotels but this one was beyond anything I have experienced. While the room itself was clean and the towels and linens were fresh, the common areas were so horrible I felt the need to wash my hands just walking through the halls and stairwells. The carpet in the stairwells looked as though someone had rebuilt their '57 Chevy engine block there with oil stains (or something) all over the carpet. It gave me the impression that the owners just don't care about guests, that the attitude is "well we have a great location so the rooms will always be filled so why invest in even a new carpet?" I felt it shows a great disrespect to the guests.

The furniture in the room was also worn and looks like it had been collected in a variety of garage sales and thrift shops. The view from the balcony was great; however, whoever purchased the balcony furniture has obviously never sat out there. You sit in the low chairs and get a great eye-level view of...the guard rail. You either sit on the table to see the waves or must be right up against the rail to see the waves and shoreline.

Breakfast? Some left over Costco muffins and pastries and a bin of cornflakes. We skipped it and went out.

Very disappointed; I had always wanted to stay here but the lack of care for the property will have me returning to the hotels downtown. Maybe someday they will show guests some respect with a clean hotel.

Room Tip: Third floor has the best views
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple