“Small market and deli”

German Deli & Market
Ranked #300 of 436 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 27 February 2016 via mobile

This small place in a strip mall is half market, half deli, and half bar :) It does all three adequately but not great. The market is fun to browse but overpriced as you would expect imported goods to be. They have a fun selection of German beers but no actual bar area or public restroom. They have a deli but only make 4 sandwiches. We tried 2 which were fine.
If I were them I would take whichever of the three does the most business and really focus the space and strategy on that. As it stands now I probably wouldn't go back because they just don't do any one of the three well enough to tempt me back.

Reviewed 16 November 2015

my hubby and I went to check out this place. You kind of forget about these places in back of Big Lots. We shared a sandwich with pickles. Unfortunately, for me nothing looked fresh in the deli glass case. I wanted to walk out but my hubby insisted on trying it. Okay we tried it. Nothing special about it. It was just okay for me. Most likely will never go back. Mainly because it's forgettable.

Reviewed 6 October 2015

Based on some reviews, we decided to check out this German Deli. I was actually excited to go as I was craving a good German meaty sandwich. When we got there, the overall little strip mall is in poor shape. We went in and they have about 4 tables. No one else was in there. They had a few bratwurst, etc in the meat case. The options overall was slightly disappointing. We split a sandwich that had black forest ham and other meats. It was fairly plain. We actually asked for pickles to spice it up. With the pickles it wasn't bad, but sorry, we won't be going back.
(To Travel Is To Live)

Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

We felt like going to a local place for lunch and found this listing. We really enjoyed a big sandwich, bratwurst, sauerkraut, and potato salad.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I certainly hope some locals make this a place they stop in frequently as it's a real treasure! Now that the Old Vienna Restaurant is gone, there's no place else in Ventura to get decent German food.

We stopped in for a quick lunch and had a great plate of bratwurst (really large white ones), Sauer kraft and hot German potato salad. Not quite nice but close enough for $6.50. The good thing is you can get the same meal for $5.00 on Fridays for happy hour from 6-9....

Another woman was eating there with her toddler and had a huge tasty sandwich.

Together with their imported German foods (I recognized cookies, jams, soups, toiletries, mustard, currywurst keychup, and my favorite - Ritter Sport candy bars) and German style meats and deli foods, this place is great for everyone who enjoyed visiting Germany or who misses their German grandmother!

Been to German Deli & Market? Share your experiences!