“You Can't Go Wrong”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We have lived in this area for over 30 years and have eaten here too many times to count. This restaurant has never disappointed. It is always spotless, the music is low, the menu is varied and the food is plentiful and delicious. We have never found a single negative about this restaurant.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

It has a lot more competition now, but it is the best I have been to in the Newport News area. Chinese is not my favorite but I love their skewered chicken chunks, their hot string beans, their egg rolls, and several other dishes with broccoli and rice. That having been said, I do not typically like Chinese food but love Thai and Indian. Still this is a good choice and they have a few spicy hot items as well as other staples. The buffet line moves quickly and things are typically stocked well. It is not a chain and it is worth a visit. Nearby County Grill is another favorite for Bar BQ at the far end of the same shopping center.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

On my last visit to Spring Garden, I was not dissapointed. I've eaten here so frequently that I've grown to expect a great lunch. The only time they have buffet is at lunchtime, so I'll limit my rating to that.
Each dish on the buffet is fresh and flavorful. Many buffets tend to have an overall flavor that seems to be present in each selection. Not at Spring Garden. Each dish stands on it's own. The buffet table is clean, and the staff makes sure it stays that way. The room is as elegant as a Chinese buffet gets. If you want a very pleasant buffet experience, try Spring Garden, located on Rt. 17 in the Tabb section of York County.

Reviewed February 15, 2011

Ordered Chinese Take-Out from the restaurant last night (Feb 14, 2011) due to the high reviews posted on this site. If the quality of the food sampling we had was any indication of the general quality of the restaurant, we don't plan on returning to the restaurant whether sit-in or take-out.

We ordered four main courses: Chicken Lo Mein, Sweet and Sour Pork, Kung Bao Beef and Young Chow Fried Rice. The service was quick. They told us that everything would be ready in 15 minutes. It was a short drive away which made the experience that much more convenient. The portions were large and the prices were good for the amount served. The entire meal was about $25.00. They packed our meal with care and it was all well-placed in the carry-out bag. There were minimal spills and messes for the drive home.

Once we got our items home, we discovered that the beef didn't taste "fresh" and had a distinct taste of being on the verge of spoiling, if not already spoiled. The pork was dry and also had a peculiar taste. Much of the ingredients of the fried rice looked like it was left-over meat products from days before. The only thing that was acceptable was the Chicken Lo Mein. The chicken tasted fine and so did the noodles.

My background is Asian-Pacific Islander. That may add to the validity of my opinion. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. If only they had used the same care and quality of service on the quality of food they serve, it would have been a great restaurant for quick and easy meals.

Reviewed October 10, 2010

I reveiwed Spring Garden in 2008 and in 2010 I still think it is the best Chinese food around. We eat in about once every month and take out about 3 times a month. The food is always hot, fresh and tasty. Favorites include Garlic Butter Jumbo Shrimp, Three Delicacies, and Walnut Chicken. Quiet, casual atmosphere great for couples or families.