“I hate to write a bad review”

Extended Stay America - Dayton - North
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed 16 November 2016

I have written a lot of reviews over the past few years and rarely do I write a bad one but I have to with this one. I booked 2 rooms for my adult children and their significant others. The hotel we booked early (down the street from this hotel) for parents weekend was already full by the time they decided they were coming too. The price was great BUT you know the saying, you get what you pay for. We were given 2 rooms on the 1st floor. The floor smelled like smoke. To their credit, it looks like they are trying to update the rooms as one of the rooms had hardwood like floors and nice counter tops (but still a dirty carpet) and the other had old carpet throughout and old counters. This I think we could have been ok with but the drug deal we saw going on in the parking lot at the side door when we returned to drop them off late Friday may have done it for me. A black car lingering in the middle of the lot waiting till a young woman came out the side door in pajama pants pulled up to her and made the exchange will definitely not have me booking here again. The second night, that door was closed off and you couldn't go in or out of it, which seems like a fire hazard to me. Also on the amenities list is a hair dryer but there was no hair dryer and when we asked at the front desk, they had no idea if there was supposed to be one. They did say there training but never went to ask anyone either. If this hotel would like to get good reviews and clientele, a major upgrade would be needed.

Room Tip: If you want a smoke free smell, don't pick the first floor
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 October 2016

I want to first say the staff here at this location is great, Misty is a great manager and was very kind and helpful and why I give the location a 2.5. Beyond the staff, I'm so disappointed in Extended Stay America.. staying here for an extended time is not made easy or welcoming by the company. Again I say the staff here makes the time worth it. I travel a lot and I'm in a lot of different hotels and I definitely expected to have amenities that make a lengthy stay easy and comfortable and it wasn't. I do like having the kitchen in the room but I was given dirty silverware and they don't even include a small bottle of dish detergent, like TownePlace Suites. The rooms are really dated with old televisions that don't work properly. And for a lengthy stay I only have few channels to choose from to watch.. why wouldn't they offer more cable channels like other facilities..CHEAP! I'm into health and wellness, for a lengthy stay they don't offer a fitness room.. why? I have no idea why an extended stay company wouldn't offer a fitness room. I went to another area hotel and was able to use their fitness room in order to stay in my fitness routine for the week that I was here. They did a terrible job on the tub overlay it looks so rushed and cheesy. I will say the room I stayed in was clean but so dated with old tv with limited channels that it wasn't comfortable staying in the room. You definitely don't feel at home here. The elevator is very scary to take so I took the stairs all week because the elevator sounds like it may fall through the ground at anytime. It’s loud and doesn’t sound safe at all. The front door handle is broken. I doubt that the big wigs in corporate would stay in one of these rooms. Someone from corporate really needs to stay in one of these rooms to get a real perspective of what is lacking but instead there pockets get fatter while not investing in the property to make it feel more like home for an extended stay! Just sad and disappointing! Really should offer much better amenities for your extended stay customers. New televisions with more channels like Food Network, E!, Bravo, CMT, a fitness room, ensure dishware is clean and offer, like TownePlace Suites included small dishwashing liquid in the kitchen, not that much to ask, update the rooms! Fix the elevator, fix the front door! Come on corporate DO BETTER! Update the locations make them feel more like home for extended stays!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - North, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff and management; however, we apologize that you did not feel comfortable in the hotel due to amenities this location does not offer including the fitness room. In response to your feedback, I am going to be talking to my cleaning staff to ensure clean dishware and make sure they include our dish detergent as well. I will also be looking into the volume on the television channels you had mentioned as well and see about getting more channels in our line up. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

Let me preface this by saying I'm NOT a fancy man or a hotel snob by any means and I don't like leaving negative reviews on anyone's business, but this was one of the most disgusting places I've stayed in a long time! We got a "non smoking" room, apparently on a smoking floor. That doesn't work. Do not accept a non smoking room on the 3rd floor. It smelled like a bar. The room looked dirty, badly stained carpet (the picture doesn't show the extent), "curly black hairs" on my supposedly clean sheets (next to my pillow, nonetheless), even more pubes and questionable white slime in shower drain (I'm not convinced it was soap scum). Barf! The place looks great from the outside, but it's really a polished turd. Pay the extra money and stay at the Drury next door. The only positives about this place is the close proximity to any restaurant you could want and Daphne at the front desk was very sweet.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - North, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2016

Your review recently caught my attention. I was disheartened to read that you were not provided with a clean room when you checked in to our hotel. Please accept our apologies. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am going to be doing better room inspections and work closer with my cleaning staff. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at dnt@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 13 October 2016

We reserved a room a month in advance and had guaranteed reservations. When we got there, they said the third floor was under renovations and they could not give us what we asked for. The front desk people were very nice and said sorry very nicely, but after 16 hours of driving, this is not what we wanted to hear. We ended up going to another hotel, also nice, but it obviously was very inconvenient for us.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation with the on site hotel. Apparently they have a big communication problem w...
Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family

The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not being able to provide you with the room you reserved upon your arrival. In response to your feedback, I understand it's frustrating to not be able to provide you with the room type you had reserved but we are always looking for ways to improve our hotel and the decision has been made to go completely non smoking during our upcoming renovation. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

Very friendly staff, clean rooms, room was stocked with all the necessities, reasonably priced, overall excellent stay...we had absolutely no problems. Thank you for making our first experience in Ohio pleasant.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - North, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2016

It is good to read that you had a great stay at our hotel. I'm glad you were provided with suitable accommodations and felt our hotel's price was to your liking. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

The room was nicely done. You had exactly what you needed. Good price. Breakfast could have more varieties, fruit, sweet rolls, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc. The coffee was good. The staff was nice and friendly. We have stayed here before and will again.

Room Tip: We have only been on the first floor and had not one problem.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - North, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2016

Your feedback is very important. Thank you for sharing. I am pleased to see you were provided with excellent accommodations, amenities, and customer service that were all to your liking. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

It took three room attempts to find one that was acceptable. First non-smoking room reeked of cigarettes, the second reeked of cat pee/ litter. Won't stay with this chain again. Our final room had someone's stray sock under the table. Ugh. The only reason I gave two stars is that the gal at the desk was so pleasant and helpful!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - North, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2016

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The room issues you described including having to move several times to odors and a dirty sock being found is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, our team is going to be doing some more training and I will be making sure I check our rooms better when the housekeeping staff are complete. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at DNT@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.