“Great location near lifts, convenient covered garage parking” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aspen Creek

Aspen Creek
Aspen Creek
Newport Beach, CA
“Great location near lifts, convenient covered garage parking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

This is an older complex built in the early 1980s. Units are individually owned, so each is unique and not all are equally maintained. Some units are beautiful, fully renovated with fantastic sweeping views of the Mammoth Crest, Dragon's Back, and Chair lift #9. Better units in this complex are rented through 101 Great Escapes. Short walk to Chair #15, now called Eagle Express. Overlooking Valentine Reserve, a nature preserve and near hiking trails into the backcountry for summer stays.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2008

We just returned from a 3 day stay at Mammoth Lakes. It was our first time visiting. We wanted to be near the Eagle Express Lift. I found Aspen Creek through Mammoth Properties and decided to give it a try. I was not expecting anything fancy.

We were pleasantly surprised! The condo had plenty of room for 4 adults and 2 teens, an ample living room, a very functional kitchen, fireplace, mudroom, 2 bathrooms (plus a weird couple of sinks that I guess were meant for the sofa bed dwellers). We could have fit someone on the sofa bed, but the last time we trusted a condo sofa bed the kids ended up sleeping on the floor.

We cooked at the condo for all of our meals. The snowboarders were able to walk to the lift just up the street, walk back for lunch and a brief rest, and stroll back at their leisure. Everyone could come and go as they pleased since we had 3 room keys.

The owners of the condo had obviously taken great care to decorate and maintain the rooms. The beds were a little hard for all of us, but nice and big. Good pillows, plenty of bedding, good hot showers in the bathrooms. DVDs, CD, books, magazines, on-site jacuzzi and sauna.

There were reminders everywhere about the check-out time, parking rules, etc. which seemed a little unfriendly. I am sure there is a good reason for the harsh warnings. Since we did not need any services except towels, we just followed the rules and we were fine. Of course there were noisy people upstairs from us, but I think that is to be expected. We just named them "The Mammoths" and laughed about it.

As far as the price, well, it was a holiday weekend (President's Day), so it was the only time we could go since driving there takes us 6 hours. Everyone snowboarded/skiied/snowshoed for 2 full days without the hassle of driving, parking, etc. We did drive to Tamarack (it's only a few miles away) for snowshoeing and cross country skiing but it was nothing compared to the crowd trying to park by the lift. But still, it was pretty expensive (hence the 4, not 5 stars).

We all want to go back and everyone said they would choose to stay at Aspen Creek again, but I am willing to try Juniper Springs, too. Maybe their beds are softer - after falling down all day we all needed Motrin!

• Liked — Near enough to the ski lift to walk back a few times a day
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
2 Thank The_Kennedies
granada hills, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2008

My advise to anyone family, single you name it, if you can stay anywhere else in Mammoth don't stay here. I have stayed at a lot of places in Mammoth over the years both winter and summer and this is absolutely the worst place I've ever stayed for the money. And some of the cheaper places I've stayed are also nicer. To begin with they threaten not to let you check in if you arrive at 5:00 and havent; signed their ownerous security agreement. They tell you that the keys will be in in the lock box , so of course I made sure to sign everything and fax it and confirm it by email; but when I arrive around 7:30 there was no key.. I called the manager emergency number in a panic only to be informed that my room wasn't quite ready yet. (check in is at 4:00)The old fellow finally lumbered down with the key and we headed to our condo, now mind you this is January 2nd but we are paying $795.00 A NIGHT for 3 bedrooms and a loft. So we are expecting something pretty decent at least, since it turns out it's really not quite as close to the slopes as their ads suggest. Not only was the place smelly and seedy, it had one of those weird layouts, that you sometimes find in places where the homeowner does his own remodeling. It claimed to have a large master suite, but what it really had was this: the only bedroom with 2 beds had a sink in it. Furthermore, the stairs to the second floor were basicly a death trap, later on when my kids discovered "the secret door" we did find out there were other ways to get upstairs. I called the manager right away and asked if it would be possible to get a condo with a real master bedroom and bath, only to be told that the false advertising wasn't their fault, but if I wanted to go somewhere else they would give me back my money, well most of it anyways, they would still charge me a "processing fee." Not wanting to try to find another place for 8 people at 8:30 at night I declined. Now I am willing to overlook quite a bit, the stove that didn;t work, the light bulbs that died suddenly for no apparent reason
the one and a half roles of toilet paper for 8 people for 5 days and even the oddities like have to order clean towles before 5:00 on the previous day if you wanted them between the hours of 5:30 and 8:00 for the following evening, by then you don't even remember why you wanted a towel to begin with. But I do have to say what took the cake was this. The day we were to checkout there was a huge snowstorm. My husband was down in the garage putting on our snow chains etc and he was having a little difficulty with my son's car. Now mind you the check out is at 10:00 AM so we were rushing to get out ASAP. but at 10:30 when I was up at the room between taking stuff down, the phone rang and it was the manager saying that if I didn;t hightale it down with the keys, I would be charged for an extra night. Well of course I hightaled it down, but when I got to the garage, the snowplow guy was in the driveway between our building and the office. Well if you have ever seen a snowplow in Mammoth they are pretty itimidating and you don't want to just run right behind them, so I waited until the way was somewhat clear, but even so the snow plow guy was still doing his thing when I sort of walked behind him and then darted to the side and ran into the office and turned over the keys. I said you know for your information we couldn;t have left at 10 if we had wanted to because the driveway was piled with snow and was just now being plowed, But the manager insisted that the driveway had been plowed at 9:30 even though I urged him to just go outside and take a look for himself. He refused and I basicly told him that I had never stayed at a worse place in my life. Well wouldn;t you know, I got my credit card statement yesterday with an additional bill for $285.00 when I called to ask what it was, they said they were charging me for half a day late check out. So take my advise unless you are absolutely desperate stay away from Aspen Creep

• Liked — it was in the mountains
  • Disliked — it smelled funky and it was weird
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank yourinoryourout

Travellers are raving about these Mammoth Lakes hotels

Irvine, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2005

My family stayed for four nights, starting on New Years Eve. Needless to say, the rates at that time were high. The room was nicely furnished, but the sofa bed for the kids was broken and very uncomfortable. They rather sleep on the floor, but the carpet was dirty, probably it's pretty hard to keep things up during ski season.

Our bedroom was OK, but again the bed was pretty uncomfortable, hard to get a good nights sleep after a day of skiing. Also you can hear the foorstep of the people walking in the corridor or above you pretty easily.

The kitchen was nicely furnished with all the dishes and pans you would need to cook most meals. Fireplace worked fine, and lots of wood to burn. Very close to Eagle Express. Also they had sleds for the kids to play with. All in all not a bad place, but pretty expensive during the high season.

• Stayed January 2004
4 Thank Edmund Y
Irvine, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2004

This is a great place for groups of families. We like other places too but this is affordable, walking to Eagle Express, spacious enough, and a large enough complex for 5 families to go at the same time and socialize.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank dezok
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2004

This is a great place for several families to vacation together. The condos are in a circle and each time we have been we have found them clean and comfortable. My kids love the place. It is getting a little bit older but still reasonable and great for families.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member