The M Inn Mammoth
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Quality Inn(Mammoth Lakes)
Sierra Lodge(Mammoth Lakes)
View Hotel
Motel 6 Mammoth Lakes(Mammoth Lakes)
  • Pool
Holiday Haus Motel(Mammoth Lakes)
Alpenhof Lodge(Mammoth Lakes)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2016

When we arrived, there was no-one at the counter but our room key and instructions were easy to find.

The room itself was clean and comfortable and generally the decor is quirky with loads of different art all over the place. Our big bathtub was amazing.

The main problem I had was that when we went down for breakfast in the morning, there was no clean cutlery or crockery to use and no sink to wash dishes in either. I ended up having to take some dishes up to my room to wash in the bathroom. Also, as nothing was really laid out, I ended having to fumble around and check the fridge and cupboards in the dining room for food and coffee.

We basically did not see one staff member during our whole stay.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lara_Chislett
Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

Booked via Airbnb for three guests, upon arrival we found out that one of us had to sleep...on the floor on piled up blankets. After many phone calls (nobody at the front desk) we could talk to somebody who was actually hiding from us. We complained and the answer was that this is the new normal in the USA...Desplicable. Avoid it!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank SimoGeneva
Reviewed 23 July 2016

It's a hostel. Not an "inn" or motel. I arrived at 11:30pm after 15 hours of travel, on a completely unlit street, and found my name on an envelope with a room number and key with a note to record my personal info and leave it unsecured on the front desk. I stayed 3 nights and ate breakfast there 3 times, and I saw one person (not an employee) the whole time. I heard people but never saw an employee or anyone else. I guess they'll just charge the credit card I used for the reservation? There was a phone number to call if we needed anything. The doors have a note that says "unlocked at all times" and the 2nd morning I woke up to the upstairs door propped by a fire extinguisher. Anyone can walk in at any time - if they can find it.

Pros:
clean and comfortable, but simple;
cheap;
fix your own breakfast was well stocked and mostly organic - cereal, frozen waffles, breads, fruit, etc. Never did find the light switch though so I ate in the dark;
cute town but definitely a ski or hiking town;
1 mile from YARTS bus service to Yosemite Valley ($36 round trip in 2016)

Cons:
unsecure;
personal info left available to anyone who wishes to take it off the desk;
no employees or way to get advice/help on site;
no way to know if you've been billed correctly or change card, use cash, etc;
no street lights until you find the front door;
free wifi didn't have a strong enough signal in my room to use unless I went to the hall or lobby;
shower head made for people under 5'5";
rooms were not cleaned daily, which was fine, but there were cards telling me to leave towels on the floor if you wanted them replaced like regular motels - so I'm not sure if they were supposed to clean or not. It was a mixed message.

Neutral or extra info:
almost 4 hours by bus from Yosemite.You get a maximum of 5 hours in Yosemite Valley if you stay in Mammoth and take YARTS (you arrive at noon, leave at 5, may or may not have a bathroom break during the ride);
almost non-existent cell service until you get into town (due to mountains of course), so hope you don't have problems on the way there;
If it's after 9, I went 2 hours without seeing an open gas station. Make sure you have a full tank;
for the M Inn having organic food, I never saw anywhere to recycle anything
1 hour from Manzanar WWII Internment Camp historic site, which is really well done

Ultimately I'm not upset that I stayed there but I wouldn't do it again. I feel fairly lucky that it was pretty deserted for the summer and that I had no problems. I'm still waiting to make sure the credit card bill is correct because I have no receipt or documentation. Thankful I went through a travel agent if there are any problems.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Kate S
Reviewed 18 June 2016 via mobile

We arrived around 10pm after struggling to find it as the sign isn't illuminated & it's not obvious where to park. There wasn't a receptionist to greet us, instead there was an envelope on the desk with my girlfriends name on with key inside, so not exactly secure. The room was very basic, the bed is very low, the bath, shower & sink are all in the same room as the bed. The toilet is in a small separate room with a dodgy door handle. The room does have a small TV and VHS player which I've not seen in years. The bedroom door had about an inch gap at the bottom so we had to put our suitcases in front of it to block the light, from the hallway,unfortunately the suitcases didn't block the noise coming in & out of everyone's rooms. The breakfast was self serve & very basic. We stayed 2 nights & didn't see a single person all stay, our room didn't get made so I was pretty shocked to see we were charged a service charge despite not actually receiving any service at all. We wanted to pay cash for our stay & I spent the final morning searching for someone to pay with no joy, I also noticed they were displaying a hotel license on their front desk which was 2 years out of date, maybe that was the last time anyone worked there!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2015

This is a perfect place to stay in Mammoth. It is an old cabin-like that has been renovated and filled with modern furniture and art. Really simple but so much more my speed than your typical mountain bed and breakfast. (there is not a teddy bear room!). Casey, one of the innkeepers, was really nice and accommodating. Great location. The whole experience reminded me of being in Europe.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family