“My teenagers still rave about this hotel!”

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Ranked #32 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Nassau, New Providence Island
“My teenagers still rave about this hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We were unable to find a room where I would be comfortable staying with my two teenagers as everything was booked. I finally secured a suite at the Hyatt. It was more than I wanted to spend on a hotel room, but I was desperate. The Hyatt was VERY difficult to find as the sign is very small and hard to see at night in a rental car. The lobby is tiny, with only two chairs to sit on. I must say, I was a bit dubious when I arrived. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The architecture of the hotel was beautiful, but my teenagers were not too excited about that. Boy did their attitudes about the hotel change when they stepped into the suite! The suite was actually two huge hotel rooms joined together, with a very large sitting area with a beautiful panoramic view of Philly, and a very large bedroom area. The bathroom was strange, very long and thin, but nicely appointed. The kids wanted to move in permanently! The hotel was in a great location, and my teenage daughter loved all the high street shopping on the road next to the hotel. There were lots of great restaurants in the area as well. THe only disapointment for my teenagers was that they were not allowed to use the pool or fitness center which was a contracted facility to the Hyatt. They did have family swim times twice a week, but it was when we were out and about in Philly, not in the evenings when my kids wanted to go. We did go out for a run, down to the river then to the art museum, where you can run the "Rocky steps" . Although my teens really enjoyed the opulence of the hotel, I don't really consider this a family hotel. However, my kids now compare all hotels to this one, and none have beat it so far!

Room Tip: Ask for a city view on the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Bahamas242

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

My girlfriend and I were pleasantly surprised by the Bellevue. It's very centrally located, walking distance to Rittenhouse Square, Reading Terminal Market, 13th Street Restaurants, and a lot of theaters. The staff were helpful and friendly and our room was very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

My wife and I were here for three days since it was our first time in Phili (despite living an hour and half away in New York). We almost missed the hotel parking which is tucked in on the side entrance. Parking was expensive but valet was nice and prices like this are expected in this day. Were checked in quickly and courteously. Our room was pretty nice, with a comfortable bed and nice views of the city. Just a note though, when you book the hotel, you can pay an extra thirty bucks for a higher floor room. Trouble is, the hotel rooms don't even begin until the twelfth floor! Since the building is not even that tall, your basically guaranteed a nice view. one nice thing was that my wife and I, after an exhausting day of sightseeing, went up to the restaurant around eight. We were the only ones there are the staff were extremely friendly with the gm coming out to talk to us, talking about the city, how our stay was going, which we felt was an extremely kind gesture. Food was very good, not super luxury but for what we payed was extremely good. Main meat dish was one of the best I have had in a while. Wifi is also free which is a nice plus, can't believe Ritz and FS still charge for it. Anyway, staff were always friendly and maid service was also nice. Our room could maybe have used a little refurbishment, such as new carpeting, but overall it was fine. Gym is I believe the largest in PHili and is indeed huge! There were a lot of people as they allow non guest to have membership. they have a nice running track as well. At breakfast options were either buffet or menu. We opted for the latter and it was very good. Overall the hotel was in the best location of the city close to cabs and next to the City Hall. Would recommend but lower level rooms are apparently not that nice, so either splurge or stay in a newer hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

During the summer of 2011, my son and I embarked on a cross country baseball trip for his high school graduation. One of our planned destinations was Philadelphia. I scheduled our stay at while in Philly at the Hyatt at the Bellevue. The hotel was absolutely beautiful. The room was a large suite, which was clean and nicely appointed and the staff was friendly and helpful. The parking hastle free as the hotel has a parking garage located immediately adjacent to the hotel. The hotel also offers complimentary access to a stunning workout facility and spa, ranked #2 in best hotel sporting clubs in the United States. It was impressive! This hotel is located in the downtown area of Philly with close access to many historical sites. When I return to Philly in the future with my wife, we will stay at the Hyatt at the Bellevue again.

BTW: If you want a truely authentic Philly cheesesteak, I would recommend Jim's Steaks. They are great! I also understand that Tony Luke's cheesesteaks awesome too.

I've included a link for your review: http://www.philadelphia.bellevue.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is one of Philadelphia's older buildings and the Hyatt itself is a great hotel in a very good location. My last stay was in 2007 and it was great, unfortunately come 2011 the property and rooms especially need to be refurbished. The hotel certainly has that old world charm but that does not excuse dirty green carpet in the rooms, hallways, or bathrooms that are in dire need of refurbishment. A lot more could be done with this hotel to bring it up to date, especially in the guest rooms. The Bar and restaurant on the top floor is one of the highlights and certainly worth a visit, even if just for a quick drink. The hotel is certainly very classy and requires a bit of money to bring it back to glory. Depending on the price this hotel may or might not be a bad choice. This time when I stayed price was $109 a night so good value for the money even with the rooms needing to be redone but if price was closer to average $200 rates they normally charge, I would stay somewhere else like Westin until refurbishment is finished.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

This hotel offers good sized rooms at a somewhat affordable rates. The rooms are not too luxurious, but are spacious and clean. The bathroom needs work, especially the shower and sink. The best part of the this hotel is the location. First, there is a food court, bar and starbucks downstairs; and second, you are minutes from great restaurants and bars. Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are minutes, and other famous sites are $8 cab rides. I recommend a stay at this Hyatt where I believe you get more than what you pay for. Don't forget to check out the lounge upstairs.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel_Mizrahi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

The location is great and the XIX restaurant is worth for a visit. However, the service provided by the hotel staff was very disappointing.

1. Bellboys were discussing loudly how much tips the previous customer(s) gave them on 28th Dec.

2. When we tried to ask for extending our stay on 29th, the front desk, after looking at the info on the pc screen, just said we needed to wait and speak to the manager. it's ok if the hotel was full but we were not sure why it couldn't be told right away. We were then told by the manager that the hotel was full but when we checked on the Internet (hyatt website & booking.com & hotels.com) - all indicated that several room types were available during the period we requested.

3.The front desk manager (Christine) yelled at us when we were trying to use the luggage rack on 31st dec as there's no one to help. She dashed from the front desk to the elevator and just yelled 'sir, what are you doing here?' and raised her volume real high. The guests who were in the elevator with us were also surprised why she had to yell like that.

We have been staying over 10 nights in different hyatt hotels in Dec and could not believe that this is the service we got from this one in Philly. We won't return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank Brenda-Arlington
JMillerBellevuePHL, General Manager at Hyatt at The Bellevue, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for your feeback. I sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you encountered during your stay. Please know that our goal is to offer the highest standards of hospitality, and I regret we were unable to meet and exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me at jeffrey.miller@hyatt.com as I would appreciate the chance for us to make it up to you. Thank you again for your time and I look forward to connecting with you.