“Friendly Service, Good Beer, Tasty Food”
Review of Uptown Beer Garden

Uptown Beer Garden
Ranked #1,024 of 5,113 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 12, 2018

Great Place for and end of day beer, Happy Hour especially enjoyable! Very welcoming, nicely decorated, busy and engaging, but with lots of space not didn't feel crowded. Friendly and attentive bar service

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed September 27, 2017 via mobile

We were in Philly dropping our son off for his first year at UPenn Law. After a hot, humid day of moving furniture we decided we all needed a nice adult beverage. We spotted this place while we were walking around and went in.
The atmosphere, service, beer selection and food were all top notch. The pizza, salad, and burgers were not your average selections. We found the quality of the ingredients to be excellent and everything we ordered was delicious. The outdoor patio was awesome. Bonus being it is within walking distance to our son's apartment.
We will definitely be visiting again on our next trip.

Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

I stopped by here after a long day. Centrally located at 17th and JFK directly across from Comcast this outside beer garden is great. Nice selection of draft beers for only $4.00. They do have fine and alcohol but I didn't try those. They do have BBQ food available too. Cozy seating and a relaxed feel. A nice way to unwind

Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

Great place to gather with friends if you are in your 20's. Atmosphere is awesome with the tres and lights.
They have many options for mixed drinks, draft beer and bottled beer.
In the tent their are food options. We didn't try any - jus enjoyed a few different draft beers.
It is located near lots of restaurants in the business district of Philly.
Would stop by again when I'm in town.

Reviewed July 15, 2016

Good food and drink is best when it is served outdoors (IMO). Happy Hour is much happier when it's enjoyed on a warm afternoon, on a treed patio, with good friends, ambient music, and a slight breeze. Uptown Beer Garden is just that in the heart of Center City.
Uptown is one of the wonderful "pop-up" beer gardens that have brought joy to Philadelphia, and has become my favorite place for happy hour. I admit I haven't been to many of other Beer Gardens (yet), so this is a straight review of Uptown and not a Beer Garden comparison.

Warning: Wednesday is Center City Sips night. If you are claustrophobic or don't like being in a mosh pit with a bunch of twenty-somethings, I would avoid Uptown on Wednesday, or any other place participating in CC Sips.

Drinks
I will start with drinks, after all it is a Beer Garden, and that is the primarily what they serve. Because it is a "Pop-up" garden they do not have 100 beers on draft, but they have around 8-10 and they are all good artisan beers. Their signature beer is Pizza Boy Uptown IPA which is very good. During Happy Hour (ends at 6:00) all draft beers are $4 (I don't know of a better deal in Center City). They also serve cocktails and have several signature drinks as well as a full bar, although somewhat limited (you won't find 25 different scotchs).

Again I will remind this is a "pop-up" beer garden that has taken over a treed plaza across from the Comcast Center, situated between BNY Mellon and another tall building, so it does not have a formal kitchen so the fare is simple but delicious. Cooking is done on a pit barbecue and food is prepared in the open. It is not your typical backyard barbecue fare however. I have had almost everything on the menu and it has all been great. I love the skewers, they just seem like the right thing to have with beer, although the roast pork sandwich and the lobster roll are amazing. Skewers are a great value (by Center City standards), 2 skewers for $7. I especially like the Octopus skewer with a gochujang,ginger (similar to Siracha), and the bbq pork belly skewer (yes I know, but sooo good, especially with beer).

So I've already covered that it is on a treed patio, and is between skyscrapers. There are two bars one on the upper patio area under a tent, and one tucked under an overhang on the Mellon bank side (if it might rain, this is where I would situate myself, otherwise I prefer the patio). There is a third bar they open for parties or when it is especially crowded. The place is shaded most of the time and does get a breeze coming through between the buildings, but on really hot days it can be hot. For me however being outside is a fair trade-off for the heat. Most of the times I have been there it has been very comfortable. I guess I should mention the bathrooms are portable. They are full men's and women's rooms with flushing toilets and running water, and are clean, however they are on a trailer and on busy nights (or Wednesdays) can generate a line. There are also porto-potties but have not used them.

I really like the staff there, but I'm kind-of a regular so it's maybe not totally objective, but I would say with out doubt that most of the staff are friendly and fun, and genuinely care. And they are outdoors, which of course is better than in.

Overall if you are in Center City and just want a nice place to unwind and have cold beer with friends, Uptown is your garden patio away from home.

Date of visit: July 2016