“You had me at Pommes Frites”
Review of The Belgian Cafe

The Belgian Cafe
Ranked #281 of 4,506 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2017

Spring had arrived early when I stumbled across this great neighborhood pub/restaurant so I sat outside to enjoy the weather. The pommel frites were magnificent and came with this great house made smoky ketchup. I also ordered a few flavored mayonaise dipping sauses and the bourbon mayo was outstanding. My main dish was the pork schnitzel and it was excellent and very filling. Good beers on tap. Good service. I will return to dine again the next time I visit.

Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

It was warm and sunny so we opted for a sidewalk lunch. The cafe cheddar burger with a side salad my husband had was juicy and delicious. It was perfectly cooked. My lamb burger came in two sepetate pieces of pita with spinach and tomato salad. I'd have preferred and actual pita to eat as a sandwich and a slightly less cooked burger. I was told by the waitstaff it would be well cooked and it was. That isn't my preference so next trip I'll opt for a different selection.
There us a vast selection of beer and ale and mu husband was pleased with his selection.
Nice neighborhood cafe which offers Sunday brunch we can try sometime soon

Reviewed 14 February 2017

We happened upon this restaurant while in Philly. Very intimate, cozy decor with a small bar area separate from the dining room. The dining area is perfect for a couple out for a romantic evening or for a larger gathering, too. The food offerings were interesting and the beer offerings superb. Unfortunately, the waiter did not listen when I ordered grilled salmon and instead brought me a salmon burger (which I personally did not like, though someone who likes that kind of "burger" might have found it to be good). He offered to bring out the correct item ordered, but we did not have time to wait because we had tickets to a show. They did give me a side of mashed potatoes since I was not going to eat the salmon patty. (The restaurant comped that off the bill.) The mashed potatoes were delicious! I wish I could have had them with the grilled salmon as I had anticipated! My husband ordered a beef burger that was quite good. When he ordered, however, the waiter asked if he wanted fries instead of salad (because the burgers come with salad which is a refreshing change from other restaurants). My husband opted to try the fries but did not enjoy them much because they were sprinkled with something hotter than old bay (and my husband normally likes spicy food so that's saying something)(it would be better to ask customers if they want the fries seasoned or not). When the bill came, we were surprised to be charged $2 extra for the fries! The waiter had not told us it would cost extra to change to fries. After we complained about the up-charge, it was removed. My "burger" came with the salad that was not fancy but had a very tasty vinaigrette. Our recommendation: stick with the salad instead of the fries. The runners twice tried to bring us food that went to other tables that based on comments between staff that we overheard, apparently came about due to the misdirection of our nice, but not very competent waiter. So why the high rating, you may ask? Well, the menu had a lot of really interesting foods with the potential of being excellent and the beer menu is great. Our waiter was not good but seemed new, so we are cutting him some slack, and the management did try to make up for his shortcomings. If you decide to try the Belgian Cafe, demand the best waiter they have and hopefully your experience will be much better than ours. We think it is worth trying again.

Reviewed 1 February 2017

This is the place for great beer and food. It is all good and well worth the visit. You will come back again and again, always finding something new to try and love. So if you want to try something a bit different but great, This is where you go.
Gene P
Coplay, PA

Reviewed 22 January 2017

Just dined at Belgian Cafe. We don't eat meat and they have an amazing menu with many diverse choices. Many many beer choices. We had several "starters" including cauliflower flat bread and seitan bbq wings (YUM!). We had an ahi tuna cheese steak that was delicious. The chocolate mouse and powdered donut cookies with cranberries were the perfect finish. Service was courteous, friendly, helpful, and prompt. Loved it!