1,045 results
All reviews breakfast delivered queen loft hardwood floors continental breakfast locust street yogurt exposed brick great boutique each morning within walking distance street noise small hotel reception area large bathroom kimmel center center city flat screen tv
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Nice personnel, pretty room, good bathroom, centrally located. A very comfortable place to stay. One suggestion: the TVs in room are oddly place (facing the windows!). I would -- and have certainly recommended the Independent to others. The personnel were more than helpful -- when the TV refused to switch on -- TV's are weird at the Independent, facing the windows of the room -- 2 of their personnel came to help out and fix the TV

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The rooms are modern, very comfortable and I love the high ceilings. The bathroom was very spacious with great lighting. Very good value for the price. It is very walkable to many attractions downtown. I would definitely stay here again.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank marylynn8
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I love this little hotel and its location in the Gayborhood which is filled with wonderful restaurants. This is a gem in the city. It's clean and the rooms are large. Also this hotel has great prices. I would recommend this for business or pleasure. There is a parking lot right across from the hotel.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I'm feeling lucky this week ... in early September I was looking for a hotel in mid-December and it seemed that all of my favorite Philadelphia stays were booked. After searching and searching, I found The Independent, only a bit over a block away from the Academy of Music. Apparently, I'd missed that it was Army-Navy weekend but, luckily this little gem of a hotel had one last room available. And, it's now my 'go-to' hotel for Philadelphia weekends.

Let's start with the most important info ... it's amazingly clean and in a very safe neighborhood. The room had hardwood or hardwood laminate flooring (I couldn't tell the difference)I LOVED not having filthy hotel carpeting under foot. The bathroom was minimalist and modern. The room was clean, large, and well appointed with 2 bureaus, a very comfortable king size bed, a pull out couch,a full size desk/chair flat screen TV and a small kitchenette (mini-microwave, small refrigerator, and Keurig coffee maker) with Neuman organic coffee pods.

The neighborhood is very active and very safe -- as mentioned, before, it's just a bit off of the Avenue of the Arts which is filled with name brand restaurants and Philly's best theaters. The side streets in this area also have a wealth of great restaurants and small bars. Attached to The Independent's 1st floor mini-lobby (the desk is on the second floor) is a great little bar and restaurant -- excellent food, reasonably priced drinks and great staff. But, I mention it here because it is so darned convenient to the hotel ... go to a show, come back for dinner and drinks, and be just a few steps to your hotel room. ( If you care, the corner of 13th and Locust is known as the heart of the gayborhood ... so same gender couples are fairly common.)

The staff in the hotel is just charming. They know their jobs and do them with competence and humor. Although a small boutique hotel, there is someone on duty 24 x 7. And, although hard to explain how they do it architecturally, each floor has an area that is open to the desk area so you feel connected without being bothered by noise.

Now for the goodies ...
- For the duration of your stay, you have a guest membership to the 12th street gym (with pool) just around the corner
- The lobby of the hotel has excellent coffee and three great tea selections 24 hrs/day. Additionally, during our stay, was an iced bin containing free soda and bottled water
- A small free continental breakfast is delivered to your room in the morning. You may choose a piece of fruit, a juice, yogurt, cereal and/or croissant. Not spectacular, but enough to take off the edge till you make your way to the Reading Terminal for one of their amazing breakfasts.

To get into the hotel, you enter on the street level and take a key to the 2nd floor for check-in. You are provided with a key card which is required to reach the guest room floors and to get into the hotel after 10 PM.

The only even slightly negative thing that I can say about the hotel is that the shower is a bit small. It's an inset shower and of sufficient size ... just the only thing that's not 'quite' the same standard as the rest of the room and the hotel.

That said ... I almost didn't write this review ... this is MY new hotel in the city and I don't want any competition for a room. Be well and enjoy. : )

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary, the hotel was beautiful! When you check in the man at the deck was as personable as can be. When we walked into the room, it felt like home. Not too fancy just right!Loved the high ceilings. We had a great night walking around the city, dinner at Capitol Grill. It was December 4 and it was 55 degrees. All in all just a great night. We had to leave very early in the morning. A few hours later I receive a call from the manager that the house keeper found our IPAD. I can't explain how elated that she turned it in. It's the holiday's and we would have been devastated. Just goes to show you there are still great people in this world!!! Words can't explain how grateful we were. Thank you for making our Anniversary perfect. This hotel was an awesome find.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple