US$156
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$154
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$174/night.

US$109
US$140
US$132
Hotels.com
1,008 results
All reviewsbreakfast deliveredqueen lofthardwood floorscontinental breakfastlocust streetyogurtexposed brickgreat boutiqueeach morningstreet noisewithin walking distanceshower stallsmall hotelreception arealarge bathroomkimmel centercenter city
Reviewed May 15, 2018 via mobile

We really liked that this hotel was in an excellent location for walking to attractions such as Reading Terminal Market, Independence Square, and the Wanamaker Oregon. Our room was a loft with king so I enjoyed the extra space and a couch with a tv on one level but also a tv near the bed in the loft. My knees were not so happy with making the climb multiple times so I learned to position things accordingly. That being said here were the less happy things we encountered: no bar soap in either bathroom, really noisy on Saturday nights (people in Philly like to honk and they do it late), dim light near the table, and a problem with the remote. However, the staff made everything better and even smiled doing it. We had bar soap when we came back after asking, they got us a new remote and then helped us figure it out....twice! They made sure that they fixed as many problems as they could and we left cheerful and happy to have stayed there. The beds were comfortable as well.
The noise was just an issue of being downtown and being within walking distance. I might have wished for a little better muffin or bagel at breakfast but they did provide options and that was helpful.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank fiddleduck
Francis P, Guest Relations Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2018

Hello Fiddleduck,

Thanks so much for the amazing TripAdvisor review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I apologize for the problems you encountered but we are glad that are outstanding staff was able to rectify them for you. We pride ourselves on our high service standards and are happy to see that you saw them during your stay. Once again thanks for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 14, 2018

This was a great hotel, that's rooms were amazingly comfortable. The staff is really friendly, and willing to help with anything. Also an amazing thing- check-out was so quick, and the staff were ready with our receipts before we walked out, giving us an easy exit. Would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to visit

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hey 915ariellah,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review here on TripAdvisor. We are so happy you enjoyed your recent stay. Our staff really is amazing and we are glad you agree! We look forward to hosting you again hopefully soon! Once again, thanks from all of us here at The Independent Hotel.

Reviewed May 12, 2018

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in Mid April 2018 and enjoyed our stay. Our room had been recently renovated and we found the accommodations very good and clean. We found the front desk people to be very helpful for suggestions for eating and walking directions. We particularly enjoyed the Happy Hour with generous wine Mon.- Thurs.. The location is excellent with a mile or less walk to many museums and the National Historic Park. We found parking our car at iParkit at 1327 Locust Street at the corner of Juniper to be the best place to park the car for several days. The price is cheaper if you go on the parking website where we paid $20 a day with in and out privileges at no extra charge.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank dmmoger
Francis P, Guest Relations Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2018

Hello Dmmoger,

Thank you for the awesome TripAdvisor review!! We are so happy to hear that you were happy with your recent stay. Please feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns you may have for future bookings. We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed May 12, 2018

Exterior - easy to miss. Hotel in excellent location as it is right downtown. However, at the same time it is surrounded by many bars/clubs, so it does get quite noisy around 1 or 2 AM when people start heading home and cannot say goodbye easily:). The room was nice and clean. Spacious bathroom. Breakfast was average. Staff was quite helpful and friendly. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hey Audr0nel,

Thanks so much for the TripAdvisor review! We are so happy to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. If you have any questions or concerns while booking any future stays with us please feel free to reach out to me directly! We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2018

I have not written many bad reviews and I take no pleasure in writing this one. Without question, my one-night stay at this hotel was among my very worst.

The reception staff was thoroughly unprofessional. The young woman I encountered when I arrived was dressed in clothing one would throw on for a quick run to pick up a carry-out order from a neighborhood deli. She was sloppy and unkempt. The second young woman I encountered, in the evening, ignored my presence for at least two minutes as she finished a conversation. Our accommodations were appalling. I suspect the sheets had not been changed (they lacked that crispness one finds in freshly laundered bedding), and the room smelled unclean and stale. On the day of our departure, we were greeted by a huge plastic painters sheet that separated the reception area from the sitting area. The hotel is undergoing renovation, which is a good thing, but there must be better ways to handle that kind of very visible ugliness in the main public space. The elevator was very slow during our stay and cluttered with workers equipment. In fact, the elevator was so slow on one occasion that the receptionist (the first, slovenly one) pointed me to a staircase to exit to the street. It was filthy and littered with empty boxes. I was shocked that she offered that exit to a guest.

All in all, an awful stay.

Stayed: April 2018
1  Thank teacher050
Emma W, General Manager at The Independent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2018

Thanks so much for this review, even if it was a bit of a bummer to read. I truly believe all feedback is good feedback as it helps us better understand our strengths and weaknesses. I'm very sorry you didn't have a great experience with us. The renovation that you mentioned is thankfully wrapping up in the next few days, but it was my intention that every guest be informed at check in of the work and the working hours. It seems as though there was a lack of communication on the part of my team when you arrived and for that I am sorry. Next, I am saddened that it was your belief that the room in which your stayed was not cleaned before you checked it. We have a stander operating procedure where each room is inspected once our housekeeping team informs us it has been cleaned. Clearly that step was missed for your room and for that, I am very sorry. I will follow up with the team to find out what happened, as well as what happened with the lack of follow up at check out. We should be checking with every guest regarding their satisfaction with their stay, that's just Hospitality 101! I do regret that we didn't know how unhappy you were with your room to begin with. I am confident if we had known, we could have found something that would have been more suitable! I know that changing rooms once you've checked in isn't always optimal, but I think moving to a room you love is much preferred to suffering through and ultimately having a bad visit. At any rate, thanks again for letting us know about your visit. We want everyone to leave happy and regret we didn't have the opportunity to ensure that for you. If there is anything else you need or want to discuss please feel free to email me directly at emma.williams@hhmlp.com.