US$138
US$134
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$150/night.

Free cancellation until 27/07
US$188
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$139
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$164/night.

US$140
US$132
HIExpress.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$146/night.

1,447 results
All reviewsboutique hotelbay windowcontinental breakfasthard boiled eggswithin walking distanceyogurtdiscounted parkingcenter cityfew blocksrooms are smallsingle roomgreat boutiquekimmel centerwalked everywherechain hotelssouth streetwine bar
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Tried to book 10 rooms in September here starting last week; was advised by folks answering the phone that only the general manager, John Cochie, could accommodate such a request. After leaving two unreturned messages, I left a third asking for some of the alleged "customer service" Trip Advisor reviewers were gushing about. That message finally got a response; a very belligerent one. Mr. Cochie said he didn't want our family reunion business because he didn't "like my attitude." Apparently, seeking a return call passes for attitude in his play book. He made a feeble excuse for the first day he didn't call back; but ignored the other attempts to simply get information. I thought other travelers should be aware of his true contempt for customers, and preconcieved notions of his hotel guests.. Our family, spread across five states, reunites in a different Major League Baseball city annually to take in a ball game, visit the stadium and environs, and honor deceased parents. We leave behind footprints and happy hoteliers and restaurateurs. Beware before booking!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank CamCurrie11
jcochie, General Manager at Alexander Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

I am truly sorry that I could not give this person the answers they were insistent on receiving.

This person's initial phone call came in late on a Saturday. I am off on Sundays and Mondays. On my return to work on Tuesday, I became involved in a video shoot of the Inn. I listened to this guest's two messages late on Tuesday. We are on the East Coast, she is on the West Coast. One of the messages was specific about how she could not talk from work; and that I would have a one-hour window of time to call her to discuss her request (7:00 AM West Coast time between her getting out of bed and her going to work).She wanted a group discounted rate; and also wanted to use her AAA card for all rooms being booked (although she would only be in one room and AAA benefits are non-transferable). She also indicated that this would be a family reunion.

I telephoned this person early on Wednesday and immediately apologized for not having returned her call the day prior due to the video shoot (my "feeble excuse").

I explained that the Alexander Inn specializes in individual leisure and business travel. Ours' is a small property that does not physically support "group" business, especially reunions because we do not offer suites, nor do we have public space in which to host hospitality rooms.

I tried to explain that over the weekends we serve upwards of 100 guests in our Breakfast Room which seats 26 persons. An appropriate turnover of tables is important to accommodate all everyone. I tried to explain that, in the past, reunion members would naturally sit while visiting those that do not see often, not relinquishing table space for hours on end.

Our Breakfast Room is simply not conducive to group activity, especially during breakfast hours.

These were not the responses she wanted to hear and unfortunately I had little choice but to say that there was not a desire to do business together.

I thank all guests and potential guests for their considerations of the Alexander Inn. I am proud of our staff's remarkable reputation for quality customer service; before arrival, during their stay, and after departure.

John Cochie
Innkeeper
Alexander Inn

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Ever in search of the perfect place to stay in Center City or Penn's Landing -- perfect meaning clean, well-located, and affordable -- I decided to try the Alexander Inn while traveling solo. My small single room (202) was perfectly clean and comfortable. The room lighting could be better: the overhead light didn't work, and the lamp on the headboard was too narrowly shaded to read in bed. Ended up having to leave on the bathroom light while reading.

Ventilation in this old building is not great. Guests seem to run the fan in their bathrooms for long periods of time, and the sound carries through the vents. When I woke up, my bathroom was steamed up. So were the room windows, which seem to be permanently locked. At checkout the desk person asked how my stay was. I said it was fine except for the funky ventilation and related noise. He just smiled.

Desk service was great, and the free breakfast buffet was quite adequate. Bottom line, I found the Alexander to be better than the various Philly B&B's I've tried (quirky, grumpy proprietors) and of course not as expensive as the chain lodgings. Not the Philly lodging of my dreams, but getting closer.

Room Tip: Bring a clip-on reading lamp if staying in room 202 (maybe the whole 02 line is single rooms).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jerseyjazz
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Alexander is a very comfortable boutique inn with a great center city Philadelphia location. Staff is exceptional, rooms well-styled and comfortable. A decent breakfast in a comfortable dining room is included. A ten-minute or less walk to historic area, Rittenhouse, Avenue of the Arts, Convention Center, Italian Market and South Street. In the "gayborhood" if that matters to you, the Alexander is welcoming to all and a great choice unless you need a big box hotel room or the honors points in your account.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stayed here with my Father during football season last year when we came to Philadelphia for the Eagles vs Bears Monday night game. We stayed Here for 2 nights and were happy with the accommodations. The rooms were clean and and updated for such an old hotel. The prices were average to High but to be fair there was a big trade show in town and it was Very difficult to find a decent place to stay in the old downtown. Lots of Pubs and places to eat within walking distance. The Only thing about the area is if you plan on walking home late at night there is a couple of Gay bars about 2 blocks away and there seems to be a lot of people hanging out in the streets. We had no problems but we witnessed a couple of incidents while we were there.

Room Tip: All the Rooms have doors that slam very hard, so if you have bad neighbors you will be woke by this.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank welovesummer14
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We always stay here at the Alexander Inn when visiting Philadelphia several times a year , but it's been several years since my last review of the property. As we just got back from a weekend visit to catch the Van Gogh Exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art (Go see it!), I am pleased to report that the Alexander Inn CONTINUES to impress. As other posters say, location, location, location. But that would mean nothing if the rooms weren't in terrific shape, and they are! This boutique hotel is the BEST. We believe the rooms are a good value! But truly, the Alexander Inn has the BEST STAFF around. Can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends