“Alexander Inn”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Love the Alexander Inn - stay here every year during a convention. It is a fantastic alternative to the chain hotels. Great location, walkable to most sites in the City Center. The rooms are a bit small, but this is typical within a city. The atmosphere is fantastic, the inn is clean, and the staff are always helpful. Breakfast is plentiful and they keep it well stocked.

Going to the convention center? No problem - it's a nice 10 minute walk straight up 12th Ave. There are also bars and restaurants along the way.

Going to dinner? Walk around the corner to Pine St and try Mixto's - very good dinner!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed 20 June 2012

cost effective,convenient ,very friendly staff and polite staff ,clean room ,room service every day
in particular walking distance to Philadelphia Conference Center 24/7 snack bar good

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed at this larger version of a B&B for our daughter's college graduation. With everything being either booked or too expensive I was very lucky to come across this wonderful place. The price is fabulous and everyone is so nice who works there. There are 2 issues however that I have to mention The 1st being that there is only a small loading/unloading area across the street which is not very convenient due to cars driving by on a narrow street. The second issue was that our queen size room was the smallest room we have ever seen ( and we are pretty small people as well). It was even too small for us to move around without banking a leg here or there. Otherwise, we loved it. The breakfast had a great selection and they didn't start putting things away as soon as it was closing time (as many other places do). We will definately stay here again!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank eeshakitana
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This Hotel has everything going for it. The staff were fantastic and obviously really enjoyed what they did. The location is ideally located to explore the historic district and the Reading Terminal Market. Very reasonable rates and an added bonus is the complimentary breakfast. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My family and I recently stayed at this small hotel. I had made a booking error and the morning staff did not skip a beat in finding a workable solution. Location is excellent, just six blocks away from historic district. Complimentary breakfast is more than the usual continental type. It includes waffels, hard boil eggs, english muffins and bagles besides the usual pastries and fruits. They are the only flat rate hotel in the city, rooms will always cost the same no matter the time of year. The rooms are small but well aportioned and always clean. This is NOT a resort hotel, it is however perfect for those who will spend a lot of time taking in the sites and want a comfortable place to rest at the end of the day.

Room Tip: There are only 48 rooms, most only have one queen bed. If you need larger accomodations SPECIFY
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The location (for the price) can't be beat. The staff was super nice and helpful, putting my husband and I on the top floor so we could be away from the street during the busy weekend. Yes, the rooms are small. However, it's been emphasized quite a bit here that this is more of a boutique hotel. My husband and I used the hotel as a crashing place, we were in the city to visit and see the sites - not hang out in the room. The bathrooms, again, are small but very, very clean. We had a wall A/C unit which was fine for our room but the temps in Philly were pretty cool for June (around 70-80 all week). Breakfast was fine for me (pastries, toast/bagels, hard boiled eggs, bananas, etc) but my husband always had to stop somewhere to as he needed something "more substantial".

Overall, my husband and I had an excellent time and I would recommend this property to those looking for a good place in a great location for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: corner rooms are supposedly bigger, very quite on top floor!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights and didn't find the place entirely charming. Despite paying for one of the more expensive rooms I found the room and the hotel fairly unappealing with older design and fittings that might well be of "heritage" grade, but I found subtracted rather than added to my experience. My impression wasn't improved by a strong smell of vomit which pervaded the room on arrival and remained for quite some hours despite opening every window in the place to air it. The staff were OK, the breakfast was OK and the general facilities were OK but I wouldn't say more than that. This wasn't an expensive stay so I can't complain too much, but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the seventh floor and had a good view of the Philadeplhia skyline and the street below.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo