“Great Facility, centrally located with outstanding staff”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 25 April 2009

The Inn is a charming, well manintained boutique type hotel that is about about 100 years old and was renovated about 10 years ago. It is centrally located several blocks from city hall , the Convention Center, and the Reading Terminal Market. Our room had a king sized bed, two chairs with a table in the middle, a large dresser, a safe and good lighting. It was more than adequate in size The manager said that they will be replacing the carpet , TVs (with flat screens) and furnishings starting next week- but there was nothing wrong with the existing furniture. The bath was small but nicely tiled with a tub/shower combinatio

The Inn provides a complementary continental breabfast with friendly staff and the breakfast room is clean very well maintained. They also have 2 complementary computers for guests use along with a small gym in the basement level

Parking is at a self park garage 2 blocks from the Inn at reduced rate- $14.00 a day during our stay.

One of the highlights of this Inn is the friendly helpful staff who make you feel welcome and are very knowledgable about the city and willing to make suggestions and recommendations about the city to enhance your visit.

A very nice touch is the personalized hotel business cards with your name on them that they give you at check in.

I would recommend this Inn without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snowbird16
There are newer reviews for Alexander Inn

Reviewed 24 April 2009

Stayed at the Alexander Inn for two nights and had a wonderful experience. The Inn is located in a charming and lively neighborhood with beautiful old brownstones, great restaurants, and a short walk to most places I wanted to go.

The staff is outstanding. Very helpful and very funny. They always gave great advice. Pointed us towards perfect meals, both times right around the corner.

Only downside was the noise level outside on the street at night due to bars/restaurants nearby. And the bed was a little too hard for me.

I highly recommend this hotel. In fact, I am attending a conference next year in Phili and plan to forego the Starwood points and conference center hotels for this "heavenly" place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I took my mother to Philadelphia for a few days to see the Art Museum, and we stayed for two nights at the Alexander Inn. It was excellent value! I paid just over $100 per room per night. Our single-bedded rooms were small with an attached shower room. The rooms were clean, pleasant, and comfortable. There was nothing showy about them, and probably a fair description for them would be basic (no minibar, no complimentary slippers, bathrobes, etc etc). But that's fine by me and my mother. All we wanted was a pleasant hotel in which to sleep at the end of a long day. What you do get at the hotel is a complimentary continental breakfast in the morning: fresh fruit, bagels, danish pastries, coffee and tea. Again, that's all we needed to start us off. I know some of the other reviews make much of the staff. I liked the staff very much and found them helpful. I think if there was anything special about them it was due to the fact that this is a small hotel, and people who work in small hotels tend to be different from those who work in the big chains. There was none of the forced professionalism that you find in the chains; the staff at the Alexander are more relaxed, perhaps a bit moodier - but more human and more likeable for that reason. The hotel is in what appears to be a very gay-friendly area of Philly, and I think it's probably thought of as a gay friendly hotel because when we were there we saw a number of gay couples. I have to say that although neither of us are gay we liked that aspect of the hotel very much. We found it reassuring and added to the character and friendliness of the place.

From the point of view of location, the Alexander is a short walk from some of the best restaurants in the city, five minutes from Macys and Borders, and is as central as you could desire. You have to take a cab to the Art Museum (unless you fancy a twenty five minute walk, which I would have done had I been on my own), but cabs are cheap in Philly.

I can't describe this as a first-rate hotel because it's not like that. It's a small, pleasant, comfortable place which is full of character. I recommend it strongly to anyone wanting that kind of experience in a city which has much to offer. I'll certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My brief stay at the Alexander Inn was very enjoyable and relaxing. I felt very welcomed as a family member right from the start during registration. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They always responded quickly to any request for assistance or directions. I will not hesitate to stay at The Alexander Inn on future visits to Philadelphia.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2009

An historic building, and an absolutely charming place to stay in the Washington Square district. Friendly and efficient service, lovely room which was absolutely spotless. The location was wonderful too. Parking for 24 hours arranged at a local lot for a discounted rate. All around, a terrific place to stay. Would go again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Stayed one night with a friend on a stopover from our main vacation in New York. The Alexander could not have done anything better. The location is good, and it was good to be in a quiet street overlooking old style houses.

On check in, and during the stay, the staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly without being "in your face".

The Double/Double room was large with a nice bay window - it's probably worth paying the extra even if you don't need the two beds. The bathroom had been recently refurbished and everything needed was supplied.

We had a continental breakfast provided and it was adequate, there being a good supply of bread, muffins, yoghurts, fruit and pastries, as well as juice tea and coffee, all very well looked after by a member of staff.

I would certainly stay here again and tell anyone coming to Phil, that you don't need to spend $300 a night!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2009

Free breakfast with your stay..only because the stuff is 3day's old not fresh..fruit fly's on the breakfast table...toilet overflow twice in my room..the little short man at the desk.was not helpful...

Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business