“My one-night stand with Billy Joel and the Alexander Inn”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed 24 April 2006

Boutique hotel is an apt description of this great alternative to the chain hotels that surround the city. Met my sister here for a one-night stay to see Billy Joel. Close to public transportation and hotel recommended restaurants were perfect. The closest to a complaint I can come is that the room was small. But since I was just sleeping in it, who cares? Thecomplimentary breakfast was comprehensive and enjoyable, the ambiance was inviting and the staff was A+. If you are looking for a place to staythat makes you feel like part of the city, this is it. If you are bothered by the word "quaint" or expect to have a dance party in your room, maybe look elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank carpaydeeyum
There are newer reviews for Alexander Inn

Reviewed 19 April 2006

I needed a reasonably priced hotel in a safe neighborhood for my two daughters and myself enroute from D.C. with a one night stop in Philly. The Alexander Inn fit the bill. This inn truly has character that cannot be found in one of the chain hotels. I found the staff to be welcoming and efficient. They graciously allowed us to keep our bags behind the front desk after checkout while we continued to tour the city and offered many helpful tips regarding restaurants and sightseeing. While the rooms are somewhat smaller than some other hotels, they are nonetheless comfortable and very clean. Furthermore, we rather liked the firmness of the mattresses (good for the back)! The continental breakfast was of excellent quality and many choices were offered, among them cereal, bagels, muffins, fruit, and danish. The breakfast area is relaxing and adorned with fresh flowers. The location of the Alexander Inn is ideal, halfway between the historic district and the rather upscale Rittenhouse Square. This neighborhood is great for walking and seems safe. Although most of the people appeared to be adults traveling singly or in pairs, the inn does welcome children. We were very pleased with our stay and would recommend this European style hotel to others.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank We'reReady!!
Reviewed 11 April 2006

Location: Great..the middle of the middle of center Philadelphia, walking distance to most everything. Walked into the middle of a front desk dispute with a guest who was very upset that reservation did not make it to Alexander Inn booking system via some on-line travel site. Thanksfully ours was there and our deluxe room was more than comfortable (though bedding is a bit firm!) Will use Alexander Inn for future visits to Philly.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank MikePet
Reviewed 3 April 2006

We stayed at the Alexander Inn for just over a week and found it to be very comfortable. The atmosphere was a lot warmer and cozier than your typical chain, and the service was more personal.

It's location was perfect for seeing all the sights. We were walking distance from nearly everything we wanted to see, and the front desk was very prompt about obtaining taxis for destinations that were a bit further.

Yes, our room was a bit small, just larger enough for the queen size bed, a dresser, nightstand and chair. But if you compare what we paid, to the rates for other hotels in the area, we got a pretty good deal. Especially when you consider that the rooms were clean, the staff was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive, and the breakfast was terrific.

The in-hotel exercise center didn't have much in the way of weights, but from what I recall it had a treadmill, stairclimber, bike and a collection of dumbbells.

So, overall, it was a good stay at a good place. It wasn't The Ritz, but you're not paying Ritz prices here either, so get over it ;P

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank akosz
Reviewed 11 March 2006

Found the Alexander Inn through TripAdvisor and was not disappointed -- the hotel was wonderful! My wife and I went to Philadelphia for a long weekend away and found the Alexander Inn to be everything we wanted -- reasonably priced, nicely appointed and decorated, and within walking distance of everything we wanted to see. It was a terrific weekend, and if we ever return to Philadelphia, we'll return to the Alexander Inn without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2006
12  Thank jwilliamaaron
A TripAdvisor Member
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 March 2006

I was very pleased to find this classic jewel at such a reasonable rate. I was not sure where I wanted to stay, but knew I didn't want a room where the rate could double each day for the three days I would be there. I found the Alexander Inn to be the only hotel in Philly with fixed low rate all year. The hotel has a friendly staff, clean decorated rooms, lots of free extras, including room safes, free e-mail, a comp breakfast buffet,24 hour comp snacks and lots more. I wish we had such a hotel in my own city with rates as low as $99.00 single. A best Buy for any traveler.

• Stayed: March 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 February 2006

We stayed at the Alexander Inn in early February as a result of the wonderful reviews we read on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed.

Alexander Inn is a quaint, artsy hotel perfectly located in Center City, Philadelphia. It is in walking distance from the Art & Historical Districts and close to the Broad Street subway line.

The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. We were attending a Flyers game at the Wachovia center and asked for advice about the best way to get there. Not only did the concierge draw us a detailed map, but later tracked us down in a friend's hotel room to clarify some information.

One of the best perks of this wonderful hotel is the complimentary breakfast they serve guests each morning. The dining room is vivid and colorful and the spread is great. They serve bagels, danishes, toast, cereals, yogurts, fruits and all sorts of condiments (jellies, cream cheese, butter etc). The buffet also boasts OJ, milk, coffee, water - its a perfect start to the day.

The one con to the entire experience is that the rooms are pretty damn small. However, if you don't plan on spending your time in the room, this shouldn't be a problem.

We loved Alexander Inn (so did our friends who booked there on our suggestion too)! There is no doubt in my mind we will stay there next time we are in Philly.

• Stayed: February 2006