“A great date night for Moms and Dads”

Walnut Street Theatre
Ranked #45 of 435 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest theater in America, and one of the most prolific.
King of Prussia, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A great date night for Moms and Dads”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We are season ticket holders and have been for several years. My husband and I rarely have a night out to ourselves so we decided a long time ago that our 5 shows a season would be considered our date nights without our boys. We love the musicals the best. Most of the plays are notable but a few unknown to me. Seating in the theatre is tight but comfortable. They offer drinks, desserts and coffee during intermission with tables/seating downstairs. Over the years we've had to exchange our tickets for a different date and the process is very easy. We sometimes end up in better seats than our season ticket seats. Seeing a play at the Walnut Street Theatre is a great way to support the Arts in Philadelphia in the longest running theater in the country.

Visited March 2012

Phila, Pa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Entertaining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Most of the plays we've seen have been well done and good performances. the history behind the theater is interesting and there are super restaurants to visit before or after the show.i

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It was awesome and I recommend it to everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I loved the performance I saw it last night. It was so beautiful and mysterious (obviously :)). I loved the Italian man character, he did an unbelievable job, he made me laugh so hard. And Christopher the young silly boy will make you laugh as well. The entire cast did a great job and the decoration and clothes really successfully took me into an old era's London home ambiance. The snow sounded real, I hear people saying it did melt so it must be real, so thoughtful. Now the story is needless to say quite entertaining and I truly enjoyed the show. I recommend it to everyone. LOVED IT!

I got a last minute walk-in best available tIcket. I only paid 35 dollars and was on the second raw of the Mez. Outstanding view. I am usually a first row parquet snob, but this view was just perfect and for the price I paid It is even better than I expected.

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“The Mousetrap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

A great show by Agatha Christie that is the World's Longest running play is still enjoyable today. A mystery murder with all the usual, unusual characters trapped in bed and breakfast in a snow storm. Everybody is connected to the murder. Pleasant to see a mystery without sex, drugs and foul language. The Walnut itself is a great venue to see theatre, They are remodling to keep it in touch with the 21st Century, since it is the oldest continuous theatre in America. Love the downstairs bar, Barymore, with all the family pictures.

1 Thank amoebat
Norristown, Pennsylvania
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“great show in a grand old theater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Walnut Street theater is one of my favorites and has been for many years. We have a season subscription and last week enjoyed their main stage show Mouse Trap. What a silly, fun show it was - and I am not allowed to tell you 'who-dunit'!
There is a small seating area downstairs for coffee and cookies, etc and their counter for sale of jewelry has some nice bargains.