“Fantastic Small Plates...Get the Burrata!”
Review of Barbuzzo

Barbuzzo
Reserve with OpenTable
Barbuzzo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 4,718 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sansom
Transit: Broad Street Line - Walnut Locust Station
Description: Barbuzzo is a Mediterranean restaurant and bar located in the trendy Midtown Village area of center city. We serve small plates intended to share. With a wood-burning oven for pizzas & roasting, Barbuzzo’s menu features rustic, hand crafted regional fare such as: Grilled Octopus with fingerlings, roasted peppers & soppressata; Parsnip ravioli with duck ragu and roasted pears; Uovo Pizza with brussel leaves, guanciale, & truffle farm egg. Menu items range in price from $3 to $32. Barbuzzo has a full bar featuring Mediterranean wines, craft beers and cocktails. We have bar and counter seating overlooking the open kitchen available for walk ins.
Reviewed December 12, 2014

My wife and I are new to Philadelphia. We were out at a work-related happy hour and decides to do an impromptu date night dinner afterward. Barbuzzo was a recommendation from a coworker, who told us to make sure we save room for dessert...so we didn't really know what we were walking into.

The restaurant itself is really cute. The lights are low with cool fixtures, and the walls have a rustic feel, creating an intimate atmosphere. We sat at the chef's car which is a huge marble slab. Perfect for getting up close and personal with your friendly chefs...and also to get a sneak peek at the dishes as they're plated.

We went with a few small plates: olives (hint of orange zest and spices), pan seared Brussels sprouts, burrata, butternut squash arancini, and the papardelle with braised short rib ragu. Everything was delicious, fromt he salty olives to the unctuous short rib pasta, but I want to talk about the burrata.I LOVE burrata, but this fine specimen definitely stole the show. It was chewy and creamy and delicious, but everything else really put it over the top. The sherry-proscuitto (?!) dressing is salty and a touch sweet and creates a warm pool beneath the chilled burrata. Then you have the pan roasted romanesco cauliflower, which provides a little more texture and the proscuitto pangrantatto (basically proscuitto breadcrumbs) gave the dish a nice salty, crunchy pop. Finally, there are the pickled raisins. Now...I'm Polish and love me some pickled everything, but I was a little hesitant...I can't say raisins are my favorite. But those pickled raisins were a damned ray of sweet and briny sunshine in my mouth!

Kudos, Barbuzzo...I'm back on the raisin train.

Truly, everything was excellent, and the burrata was a perfect bite of salty/sweet/creamy/crunchy. It was the best plate I've had in some time.

Oh...dessert was delicious too :)

Reviewed December 9, 2014

We were in Philadelphia and it was raining. We searched for a restaurant nearby and found Barbuzzo. We enjoyed it so much we went back the next night. Options for vegetarians and carnivores. Hearty appetites and grazers
We liked our seat at the bar rather than at the tables. Roomier and fun to watch the chefs. Also the sound volume is high. Also liked that they serve late - even on Sundays

Reviewed December 4, 2014 via mobile

Ok so my wife and I were recommended this place by the hotel. We loved the atmosphere. It's a small place but great vibe. The food is a little eccentric and I would love to see a few mainstream beers as I did not care for their offerings. But thats my personal preference. We had a great brushesta to start and a pizza and pasta plate for dinner. It's almost a large sharing plate. We both enjoyed the food and the wine menu was nice. The service was adequate but didn't sway my opinion one way or the other. We both agree we would go back if the opportunity presented itself.

Reviewed December 2, 2014 via mobile

I had a 6 PM dinner here tonight. Patata bravas was inedible as it tasted like it was deep fried in a salt bath. Arrancia rice balls were very good but the size of a golf ball...way too small. Funghi pizza was very good. It was thin and crispy. Sweetbread was fried in brown butter, rich but mild tasting. No room for dessert, what a shame, since the dessert selection looks so good.

Reviewed November 29, 2014

Went for lunch on a Saturday afternoon the weekend of the Philadelphia Marathon. Was able to get a seat at the bar (a plus for being solo), though no TVs for any college football games. I ordered the sangria to drink, very good. I ordered the cavatappi for lunch and it was a good small bite to eat. It had a smoky taste to it that seemed to disappear the more you ate it. Perfect serving size though, as I wouldn't have wanted anything bigger. If you're going for dinner, get a reservation because I tried the night before for dinner and it was minimum 45 minutes for a table with a bar that was first come, first serve