“Intimate BYOB in Chestnut Hill”
Review of Mica

Mica
Reserve with OpenTable
Mica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #324 of 5,099 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Chestnut Hill
Cross street: Evergreen Avenue
Transit: Mica Restaurant is easily accessible from Center City, Philadelphia by Septa regional rail lines. The R7 Chestnut Hill East and the R8 Chestnut Hill West lines both terminate at Chestnut Hill.
Description: Mica Restaurant will re-open under new management on Sept. 13th 2016. We will offer the same great service and food, now BYOB. We look forward to serving.
Reviewed January 30, 2018 via mobile

We had another excellent experience at Mica, this time enjoying the tasting menu. Each course delighted and the service was attentive, professional and welcoming. Having a quality BYOB option in Chestnut Hill is a plus.
It is a cozy intimate dining experience and we look forward to the next visit!

Reviewed October 22, 2017

Can food be thoughtful? I wondered that because while you know chefs put much thought into their menus, how much of it is based of a mix of intuition, tastes and the atmosphere they are trying to create.

Micas tiny menu, smallish space, General air of decorum and thoughtful food all combine to provide a relaxing, incredibly taste rich and fun meal.

First, kudos to the wait staff who are attentive, smart and yet not hovering.

Next, to the atmosphere of quiet relaxation that surrounds you in the almost Shaker-like decoration, hard wood chairs and tables, no carpeted floor.

One of our current gripes about eating out, no matter whether the venue is upscale or every day, is the decibel problem — people have simply gotten louder at restaurants. It is an extension of the general self-centered ness of our American society but in a restaurant it can be particularly annoying to sit there, and as the place fills up, the noise goes over the brim to where you practically have to shout to be heard. Not right.

Not sure how, but Mica keeps the conversations private and the murmur polite and really, do you want me to hear your conversation? If so, here’s my number, give me a call later, now please lower the volume while we eat! Decorum, politeness, manners...also a part of the dining experience.

As for the food, the menu definitely has a strong seasonal bent and farm-to-table approach. And it is all delicate...not overly fancy, or some red splash around the plate that acts like wall paper to the meal before you. For example, my appetite was smoke white fish with nuts and ever-so-thin flash-fried zucchini slices. I am not a big fan of white fish but this was so rich and balanced as to be unique.

For my main course, I had grilled trout;  this was done with a few of those same zucchini slices, but more focus on pickled cucumber spears and a small pool of pesto to dip the fish in, if you liked. The fish was perfectly prepared and delicate — treated with a caring touch.

More to the expensive side, and a BYOB, but so classy and delicious. And the entire experience? Very thoughtful.

Reviewed October 21, 2017

We went here for our anniversary dinner. The food was very good, creative and interesting. I have to say the service needs some work. We felt hurried along throughout the meal, it was clear that they had overbooked the tables and wanted us to leave. Besides that there were a few other incidents that made our dining experience awkward:
• Our half filled water glasses were refilled with tap water from a pitcher, although we were drinking sparkling water – the person who refilled our glasses was the person who bought use the bottle of sparkling water! And the bottle was sitting there on the table!
• We were given one piece of bread & had to continue to ask for more.
• The waitress asked us if she could take our empty plates. Wasn’t it obvious that we were done? Why is she asking us this?
• After our plates removed we were immediately asked about dessert even though it was clear that we were still enjoying our wine.
• We are given the bill and told, “anytime” but a few minutes later asked if we were ready to pay.
I think if Mica aspires to be a place of fine dining then it needs improve it’s service to match the caliber of food it serves, and it’s prices.

Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

Returned last night, a year after our first visit. 4 people, everyone had the 6 course $69 chef's menu. The first "amuse Bouche" course included about 4 or 5 really good tastes: an oyster, a pumpkin soup, crab beignets and a couple other things.
A local corn and wheat berry porridge with truffles was awesome, the duck breast was rediculous, a smoked eggplant dish was out of this world, the sun gold tomato salad was delice. The dessert was a bowl of salted caramel chocolate mousse and peanut. Bliss.
Brought 3 great wines.
Excellent service, well-informed and thorough, unobtrusive.

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

Well, we went there last night and I thought it was just outstanding. From the first little extra, the focaccia bread with oil was delicious. Our Eggplant appetizer had such great flavors. It was a top five in my book. I had the lamb special which was amazing. My wife had the chicken dish which is on the menu and she said it was great. Our friend had the Arctic Char and she said that was great too. Quaint little place. Loved it! Kaitlyn, our waiter was just terrific and she added to the experience. As I said, wouldn't change a thing.