“The tastiest food in Philly!”
Review of Talula's Garden

Talula's Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
Talula's Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 4,671 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th between Walnut and Locust
Description: Behind the wrought iron gate, past the herbaceous patio and through the atrium is Talula's Garden, the warm and elegant Washington Square eatery from Aimee Olexy and Starr Restaurants. The modern menu, prepared with carefully-sourced ingredients and a light European touch, changes with the seasons. The artful cuisine, hospitable staff, sustainable spirits, and a focus on cheese make the dining experience here incredibly memorable.
Reviewed April 9, 2018

I judge a restaurant by the bread they put down on the table. Once you try the garlic rolls they give you when you sit down, lets just say YOU ARE HOOKED! They far exceeded my expectations as well of the rest of the meal!

1  Thank Karen S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed April 6, 2018

Best Pate I have had. The duck and carrots were tasty as well. I really enjoyed our meal. Great service, waiter didn't blink an eye when we said were going to share a bunch of plates.

Cocktails are bit on the sweet side.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

We visited on a Saturday night in March, so the garden was not open, and the restaurant was buzzing. While it's a top-notch restaurant, I expected a calmer and more romantic ambiance. When making the reservation several weeks in advance, I had asked for a quieter seating area. We were seated in a row of couples at individual tables that were about 18 inches apart, making it impossible to ignore your neighbors' conversations and food deliveries. The noise level required elevated voices to be heard over a general din. Some of the dishes, while excellent, come across as a bit too treated or precious, when sometimes just a properly-cooked, very fresh piece of fish may not need so much "value added" in the kitchen. One complaint: the "winter roots" salad didn't really have much in the way of winter vegetables -- it had the same lettuce as the garden salad, plus carrot. We had two mains -- the striped bass and the shrimp & scallop mezze -- which were very good, but both seemed to have a certain similar sauce on them.
The markup on the wine list is among the highest I've seen even at a high-end restaurant. For example, a bottle of Cloud Break, their lowest-priced Pinot Noir at $54, goes for $9 at Total Wine.
Service was excellent and punctual, despite the restaurant being full.

1  Thank GoMustangs
Reviewed March 21, 2018

I had dinner here about four years ago, and had the chance to have dinner here again last week with a friend. It was terrific, and a real treat to dine here again. I look forward to being here again the next time I'm in Philadelphia.

1  Thank JerryR10
Reviewed March 20, 2018

The cheese plates are exceptional. Less impressed with seating. Seemed to be lots of open tables, but even at 6:00, we were seated next to a wall far in the back, and when a noisy table of four was seated right on top of us, there was no incentive to linger.