“Worth sacrificing location for amazing cutomer service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Conwell Inn

Conwell Inn
Ranked #60 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Worth sacrificing location for amazing cutomer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

A little far from Phila proper (we were going to PMA adn the Franklin Inst), but easily accessible to the train; this place was a pleasant surprise. We traveled wiht a baby and four year old, and the room was spacious, the people who work there were extremely helpful, and kind. Warm cookies, and off street parking, this place was not only affordable, but well worth getting lost (full disclosure, I could get lost in a Miata without trying!).

Room Tip: Summer is a little sleepy in town, with classes out, but the staff is extremly knowledgable about ot...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Icgrs
TheConwellInn_GM, General Manager at Conwell Inn, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
One of the biggest problems we face is that potential guests don't realize how convenient we are to Philadelphia and all it has to offer, even if we're a mile or so north of "Center City". Thank you for letting other guests share in your experience, and the ease you had in getting to and from the city. Taxi, Public Transportation, Car...the options are endless!

We LOVE catering to families' needs, and are glad you were able to have a comfortable and relaxing stay with your infant and toddler along for the ride.

It is a true benefit having a Front Desk Staff that lives right in the heart of the city, and are able to help guests with any recommendations and tips they might need. I'm glad we were able to come through for you!

Thanks again for choosing the Conwell Inn, and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!

Thanks again!
The Conwell Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Venezia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Can't beat the location of this hotel for a visit to Temple, and the staff was extremely helpful through our whole stay. We passed on the breakfast after the first day - but after reading reviews, we didn't expect a lot (and there is a coffee shop attached so getting something a bit better was easy enough). Room was clean and more than roomy, no real complaints (though we had to watch our step in the room with a step down from the bathroom, but given that this is an older converted house, it has those kind of quirks).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Stanfordville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

We enjoyed this hotel on Temple Campus. Even with GPS it was a bit hard to find since it is nestled in the campus. The room was clean and staff extremely helpful. They moved an illegally parked car so that we could have a space. Breakfast was ok but the attached coffee shop had tasty goodies and good coffee. We were able to attend a free campus concert - a student all percussion performance. It was excellent.
They were wonderful with the dog and allowed her to stay alone in the room as long as she didn't bark or otherwise disturb - which she did not. I would suggest that the hotel provide a list of events on campus. We would have attended all we could. We also thought the dog fee of $40,00 a bit steep. If no damage was done they could have refunded half. We will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheConwellInn_GM, General Manager at Conwell Inn, responded to this review, 22 December 2011
Greetings Johanna,

I am thrilled to know you enjoyed your time here at the Conwell Inn! My apologies if you had a bit of trouble finding us at first, but I'm glad you made it here. We LOVE being a pet-friendly hotel and try to be one of the best options in Philadelphia for our four-legged friends! We usually do have a full list of events, but I believe that Percussion Concert was right around Thanksgiving - the students were on break and events were somewhat limited! Thanks again for the kind words, and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!

Thanks again,
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

This cozy hotel - the Conwell Inn - is situated right in the middle of Temple campus in Philadelphia. Temple has its own police patrolling the area, so I felt very safe. The check-in process was a breeze, even after midnight. The bedsheets were clean, everything worked, and I can't complain about the sleeping experience. The mattresses are foam. It's also conveniently located next to bars and convenience shops.

The only minor complaints I have are that the hotel is a little difficult to find, and the parking lot is tricky to reach. In addition, if you're staying on a weekend during the school semester, you might have to deal with some nearby student noise.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank spf24
SPF24,

I am happy to hear you got a good night's sleep at the Conwell. We're very lucky to be able to offer our guests the points you brought up in your comments - our location can't be beat, especially if you're visiting Temple University! Our Front Desk staff is manned 24/7 to be as convenient as possible for any guest's schedule, so I'm glad to hear that your late-night check-in was a smooth process! We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Thanks so much!
Normal, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

The best thing about the Conwell Inn is the location on campus at Temple University and the charming exterior. It is a 10 minute walk from the SEPTA Train stop on campus, and about a 5 min walk from the subway to Center City. Unfortunately, after that the property is really very "Motel 6"-esque but with some very nice touches. The location at campus ground zero is terrific, and the campus police station is attached to the hotel. Restaurants are also downstairs and around the corner. Front desk staff is friendly and helpful. Coffee and tea 24 hrs in the lobby with complimentary light breakfast in the morning and cookies in the afternoon.

Upon entering the room for the first time the smell of cleaning fluids (much like Clorox) was overwhelming so I had to open all windows for the afternoon to air it out. Lighting is really poor in the rooms with one floor lamp in the living room and one floor lamp in the bedroom. Wonderful spacious queen suite but no way to read in bed without lighting. There are not adequate electrical outlets in the bedroom and no outlets near the bed to keep your phone or computer charged if you want to access them while reclining. Wallpaper is peeling and carpet is a bit shabby. Furnishings are minimal.

I told housekeeping they did not need to attend to my room after my first night's stay as I had plenty of towels and the bed did not need to be changed. Later in the day I was taking a nap when I heard a very quiet knock at the door. Before I could dress to answer the door, a staff member entered. While I am not overly freaked out by having a stranger see me in my underwear, I also do not think it was necessary. A louder knock and an announcement at the door would have prevented it. I also do not understand why the visit was necessary since I had declined service.

All things considered, I would indeed stay here again. Fly into PHL, board SEPTA train at airport that leaves every 30 min. $7 fare to Temple Univ stop, walk up Berks Walk to the hotel - easy! Since my trip is to see my daughter and access Center City, this place is fine as I am not staying there to be AT the hotel. Bed was comfortable enough and the convenience outweighs any of the shortcomings. The management seems to be sincerely interested in making you feel welcome and asking for your opinions to help them improve, and I appreciate their efforts.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank RobBN
Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

This hotel is in an excellent location on the grounds of Temple University. You feel very safe as lots of Temple security around. The hotel is clean and offers a simple breakfast in the morning. They will give you a coupon for $5 to use at the coffee shop adjacent to the hotel if you prefer more coffee choices. It does need some maintenance attention. The automatic light in my bathroom was not working. Could use some hooks in the room I stayed in but all in all I would definitely stay here again as my son goes to Temple. The hotel is very close to the subway and easy to get to downtown on.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank djkaitz
Glen Cove, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

My husband & I stayed there for two nights. If you wanted oatmeal for breakfast, you had to go down in the cellar to use the microwave. Also, the first night our sheets got spoiled with coffee & crumbs from eating in bed. Left the "note" on the bed (that is what you are supposed to do if you want the sheet changed the next morning) to have the sheets changed the following morning & all the crumbs and stained sheets were NEVER changed. Housekeeping was poor. We would never stay there again. We left and went to Chestnut Hill Hotel, now that's a great place with great! We should've stayed there all three nights, but we unable. DAN at the front desk was great @ Conwell, very helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bonnie__69--69
TheConwellInn_GM, General Manager at Conwell Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
My deepest regrets that you were not happy with the service you received while staying with us this weekend. If you needed or wanted your sheets changed - that should not have been an issue! Our housekeeping staff works endlessly to keep our hotel running and our rooms fresh, and missing your needs is completely unacceptable! I do hope that you try us again, and give us the opportunity to make your stay pleasant and perfect - I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Also, thank you for the comment about Dan, he is a stellar staff member and a pillar of the customer service we aim to provide - I will be certain to pass along your kind words. Again, my apologies and please let us make things right for you in the future. I look forward to the opportunity of having you as our guest once more.