“Outstanding Hospitality”

Ranked #2 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Red Wing, Minnesota
“Outstanding Hospitality”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

This was my second stay at Cornerstone. In June I visited here with my puppy in tow and we had a wonderful stay. We were both made to feel welcome, had a lovely room and bath, excellent location and lovely continental breakfast.

This trip was a sudden trip to see my Physician at the University of Pennsylvania. Quite unexpectedly I was hospitalized on an emergency basis. Dennis took care of all of my things and put me in a ground floor room when I returned. Anything I needed assistance with, he and Liz saw to it that I had their help. It was the next best thing to being at home, maybe even better.

New Years Day breakfast was a delicious start to the New Year. Really made the hospital food look atrocious. Other guests were charming and offered a delightful diversion.

This B & B is a gorgeous old mansion that has been carefully restored while maintaining all the charm of the original building but with modern conveniences. For a female traveling solo it also offers the additional advantage of feeling very safe and secure.

This will certainly be my home away from home when I travel to Philadelphia!

Room Tip: I love the Philadelphia Room on the first floor. It is bright, spacious, and close to the front doo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Peggy R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
USA
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We were looking for a location in Philadelphia with a warm and comfortable feel to have an open house in memory of our Mom who recently passed away. We were born and raised in Philadelphia and it was always a place with wonderful shared memories before we married and moved around the country. Dennis and Liz couldn't have been nicer when we asked if they would be able to accomodate us. They went out of their way to make us feel at home and accomodate our every need. The Cornerstone was the perfect place to welcome family and old friends. The decor was lovely -- so warm and inviting as it was decorated for the holidays. If you are looking for new, modern and sleek, this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you love a place that is oozing with charm with character, beautiful stained glass windows, beautifully carved wood trim, and friendly inn keepers....look no farther!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bergenplanner
Whiting, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 December 2011

The Cornerstone offers great service as well as a very friendly staff. Dennis went out of his way to be very helpful, and if you needed anything special he would handle it. Plus Milo (the dog) will be happy to put on a show for you. This was my first B&B experience, I hope other B&B's I go to are this great.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank kelly k
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Very nice, charming, and comfortable Inn. Lovely owners. Wonderful breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
North Ridgeville, Ohio
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Oh my, where to start. My husband and I were thrilled to stay in Philadelphia for our vacation... unfortunately, not much of it turned out to be very fun.

We arrived to the Cornerstone Bed and Breakfast in the early evening and were greeted by a very rough gentleman who turned out to be one of the Innkeepers. It's pretty hard to completely turn off your guests in 5 minutes or less, but this guy managed to do it just trying to explain how to unlock the front door. What an accomplishment! When we finally went to our room, The Franklin, we were disappointed in how much noise you could hear from the street, not to mention hearing every other sound in the place. The room was decent.. but it didn't have that welcoming, clean, homey feeling. In fact, I kind of felt like I was stuck in someone's spare bedroom. Now, I get that this is an old place and you're trying to keep it true to period--but cracks in the wall? Dirty baseboards? That has no business being in an Inn. I wandered downstairs and ran into the wife of the grumpy Innkeeper and she was very kind. If she ran the whole place it would be great. Her husband joined her shortly and again, made me peeved in about two seconds flat, but I tried to let it go. When asked where we were going to eat, I remarked that we wanted to go for Geno's famous Cheese steaks--to which I got a hearty, rude, belittling laugh and asked if I was crazy. I guess they're not fans. We ended up not going, but it really ticked me off that he would be so rude. This guy had so many rude one-liners it was unbelievable. The bathroom for our room is detached, which is okay, we made it work. What I was not prepared for were all the cracks in the tiles in there, too. It's a nice size, but needs a lot of work. The shower/bath had a stain and the finish was coming off. Breakfast in the morning was awkward. Everyone around one big table and the rude guy serving breakfast himself. I was afraid to ask for anything. They had pumpkin bread on the side, but no one was passing anything and there was no attempt to refill, so I skipped it. Thank God for the cute dog that was there to provide some badly needed entertainment.

....And then there is the parking. I cringe just thinking about it. Parking is street parking only. Let me tell you what a colossal pain in the you-know-what the parking situation is. There is no parking in Philadelphia, and if there is, you pay big bucks for it. So sure, parking on the street sounds great at first--until you have to walk 4 blocks with all your luggage. We arrived late one night after a tour and there was literally no where to park. Not to mention you're in college district and there were literally groups of 20-30 kids walking on the sidewalks at once. One officer who was on bike patrol felt so bad that he stopped and helped guide my husband into a spot for parallel parking that was super tight. Then we had to carry all our bags back to the Inn. Ugh. So stupid.

So that was our stay. To say that we tried to be as busy as possible just so we would have to spend as little time as possible in this place should speak volumes. There were no bedbugs or other critters to my knowledge, and the female Innkeeper was kind, so that earns it at least a two star rating. That's about it though. This was by far the most rude Innkeeper we have ever had. Save your patience, your money and your time and find someplace else.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TrinityDiodore
Chris S, Owner at Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
We appreciate constructive criticism on the part of our guests and will work to correct any problems or oversights that may have occurred during their visit.

The property was built in 1865 and was both a private dwelling and business before being renovated into a bed and breakfast about 14 years ago. The Franklin Room bathroom mentioned is the original bathroom in the house and we tried to preserve it as much as possible – hence the cracked tiles. We were completely aware of these issues and
prior to this review had planned on renovating this bathroom. These renovations have now been completed as of July 27, 2012.

Our breakfasts during the week are continental style and we seat our guests around a large dining room table. We have found that this encourages conversations among our guests each morning and many of our guests enjoy it and have had wonderful exchanges. We apologize if these particular guests found this awkward.

The Cornerstone is located just off the campus of two universities, The University of Pennsylvania and Drexel. The area is a mixture of single-family dwellings and off campus housing for college students. The area, therefore, is vibrant and has a fair amount of traffic. We are sorry that these guests had difficulty parking near our business but being in a major city, fining parking can sometimes be an issue. To help alleviate this issue we have posted detailed parking information on our website. If we had known that they were having difficulty finding parking we would have been more than happy to assist them. We have often offered guests the option of parking in our driveway if they run into any real difficulty finding parking and welcome our guests the option of dropping off luggage off before checking in to make things easier for them.

We sincerely apologize that these guests interpreted the attempts at levity on the part of the innkeeper as rude and that their stay was not enjoyable.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I came to run the Philly Marathon and waited too long to book my accommodations. Thankfully, I was able to find a room at Cornerstone B&B and the rate was very reasonable and the location was PERFECT for the race. The owners are super hospitable and our room was perfect. Just wish that I didn't have to leave for the race at 5:30am and could have stayed and had an actual breakfast!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Furness Room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed at the Cornerstone just the night before the USMLE. The location is absolutely perfect (a 10-15 minutes walk to reach both the examination centers on Market St) and the host is really friendly and helpful (he provided a map to reach the center and he even offered to lend me a lab coat, in case I had forgotten mine!).
Our room was really homey, with fine decor and warm colors, perfect for relaxing before a stressful day.
I would definitely recommend to stay here if you seek comfort and don't like aseptic hotels.
Don't forget to ask for the special discount reserved for USMLE examinees!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business