“Stogie Joe’s, Unfortunately Predictable...”

Stogie Joe's Tavern
Ranked #393 of 4,611 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went to Stogie Joe’s with Momma Dukes and my Stepdad. I’ll start by saying this; there are only a few places I would take my parents for lunch in South Philly. You have dinners and corporate chains which they love and I, well I don’t. There are steak shops galore, which are mostly fine, but we wanted to sit and get waited on, not get reprimanded for not ordering perfectly to some-places in house standards. There are also a lot of fantastic places that are open for brunch/lunch which I’m sure they would love, but I know some of the menus would scare them.
What I mean is that, I need to find that happy medium. There are those places I love that they hate, and vice versa. But I want all of us to enjoy the meal, and none of us to panic while looking at the menu. Now, I’m not saying my parents aren’t up for trying different or new things, they just can’t be too different from what they are already thinking about eating when out.
In other words, if they go to a diner they expect mediocre service, a million menu options, breakfast combos, tiny glasses of juice and gigantic portions. If they go to a bar-ish kinda place they expect fair portion sizes, wings, sandwiches, maybe pizza and great service. And if they are anyplace else they expect small portions, terrible service, food they don’t recognize and an open opportunity to complain about how they hate places “like this”.
Stogie Joe’s has a great menu selection. They have all those items one would expect to see on a bar menu plus a lot more. And the menu options that you expect to see on a bar menu, aren’t lack luster items. Their wings, pizza and sandwiches are all fantastic. Way above average and way better that almost any other place out there. So my parents are excited, I’m not anxious and the only thing I’m even concerned about is parking.
Can you feel the BUT coming? If so your right. The issue at Stogie Joe’s is the service. You know all that stuff you hear about people from South Philly and their attitudes and abrasive ness? And the stereotypical mom and pop joint that cater to certain guests and forget about the rest of the people in the place.
Our waiter didn’t have an attitude, and neither did any of the other employees. But none of them seemed to care about anything but the temperature in there and these 4 guys at the bar, 1 of which was clearly the owner. My thing is this, if I’m the owner I’m sure I’d love all the attention, but I’d hate my guests getting neglected. Our waiter was absent, unprepared, inattentive and unfortunately even though the food runner, the host, the other three servers and the bartender all noticed he was struggling. Not one of them even attempted to help him. But everyone of them helped wait on those 4 guys at the bar. If they paid even half that much attention to the floor, this review would be a totally different story. But they didn’t, so it isn’t, and it’s a shame. I really like the place, but this just wasn’t a good day for the staff. Hopefully, this is the exception not the norm.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Fun night with family at Stogie Joe's. My first time and would definitely go back. Everyone got different things but chicken cutlet and the special of pesto gnocchi were highlights. Waitress kept forgetting things but no worries!! Loved the chill vibe and the South Philly feel!!

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

If your looking for some of the best pizza on Passyunk go here the pizza sauce is on top! If your out of town you will get to experience the south Philadelphia vibe! Good luck! Lol enjoy! Get the square tomato pie!

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Born and raised in South Phila but haven't been back in awhile. Met a girlfriend I grew up with and was so happy we went to Stogie Joe's ..it was perfect. Greeted at the door by the friendly staff who quickly brought us our drinks. The menu was just what I was looking for..good ole South Phila food! I had the Escarole and bean soup which was so fresh and flavorful. Then I had Roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe and cheese on a cibatta roll...it was out of this world scrumptious!! I'm getting hungry writing about it! We didn't have dessert we were too full but I plan on going back again soon! Check put their menu on line as they have lots of great meal selections.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Order the Stromboli or the pizza and you will not be disappointed. Anything made with the house gravy is fantastic. There are so many great food options that you will never tire of this place. They also have a large selection of beers.