“Intimate Upscale Indian Dining”

Tiffin Indian Restaurant
Ranked #1,028 of 5,035 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed September 2, 2016 via mobile

We ordered naan which came with three dipping sauces. If you like bread then order naan.

I ordered two appetizers which were the Aloo Tiki and Lasooni Tiki (called Lasooni Tika as an entree). The Aloo was an incredibly flavorful fried potato-cake while the Lasooni was three basic chicken pieces. Rice did not come with the appetizers. Honestly I could have filled up on either of the two appetizers and did not need to order both.

My boyfriend had not tried Indian food before so I recommended the Tandoori chicken. You need a big appetite to finish the two legs and two breasts. Tender and not spicy; flavor was minimal but he finished it all. A plate of rice comes with it.

We went at 7 pm on a Friday night. We were the first customers and when we left there were three other customers. Lighting is dim and creates a romantic spot for a drink over a relaxed conversation.

--------
BOTTOM LINE: You are bound to find something yummy at this intimate Indian restaurant.

Reviewed January 27, 2016

My wife and I have gotten take-out from the South Philly Tiffin several times. This review really only covers their delivery and take-out, not sitting in the restaurant. The dishes are fine. You can specify the heat level of your main course which is good for someone who likes spicy food the way I do. The mainstays like butter chicken, tikka masala, korma, and saag paneer are all what you expect. It's not gourmet, but it's not bad either. We usually get some samosas and naan with our order. The peshwar naan with pistachios is actually a great treat.
Like most reviews, Tiffin is just ok. My main problem is their website and ordering system. Several times, I have ordered food for pickup, only to have it delivered. One of those times it took over an hour and a half for our food to arrive. We live 4 blocks away. It's annoying that they cannot give you an estimated time for pickup or delivery. If you order food to take-out, use grub-hub or the Yelp app. It's more reliable than the Tiffin website.

Reviewed December 21, 2015

Warm and cozy place for a meal, excellent food and service, hours till 11pm on weekends and delivery

Reviewed October 26, 2015

Food consistently good. Great happy hour too with half price apps and drinks. Drinks are special here.

Reviewed April 15, 2015

Here for dinner with my wife and youngest son who lives in Philadelphia. We enjoy Indian food, the son lived there for two years, post college and we have visited there twice. So we do understand a thing our two about the cuisine. I thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered, from appetizer to dessert. The service was a tad on the slow side, but that was perfectly fine, as we were there to talk so the interruptions were few and far between. The Cauliflower Bezule and Eggplant Chaat appetizers were great, although my son said that he did not think they were anything spectacular. Our chicken, shrimp and lamb entrees were all wonderful and the Peshawari Naan was quite different, a tad sweet, and you cannot go wrong with Garlic Naan. The Indian version of Tiramisu was a treat, visually and taste.